Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
New Camper

2014 Sunset Leaking

I bought a brand new camper in Nov 2013. We left her at the dealership until April and had a walk through. Found out the bathroom counter top needed to be replaced. Looked like water damage but they said that sometimes happens when it's stored over the winter months. So we took it home. Every weekend we went camping(we have a seasonal site) we noticed that the toilet paper was wet that we left on the counter. The last weekend that we camped we had rain. Water started coming in through the electrical outlet above bathroom sink. We. Have a leak that was probably there since she was built. The camper now stinks of mildew and waiting to be serviced for the past 3 weeks. I believe she is ruined inside of the walls and floor. I was wondering what our rights were in regards to warranty. Should our camper be replaced with a new one? We paid full price for a camper that was damaged so I believe the company should be liable for this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

If you bought in Nov 13 you should be covered until Nov 14. Hopefully you have a good dealer repair shop. They will file a warranty claim with CR and get approval for X number of work hours. The shop will likely remove the bathroom paneling and possibly the interior roof and check the damage. If its extensive they'll need to request additional work hours from CR. That's how it worked when they fixed my front roof leak. They replaced the whole front section, studs, paneling, fiberglass, ST sticker, and then water leak tested it. They beefed up the components too from the poor factory construction. I can attest to that based on an increase in measured tongue weight. I highly doubt they'll give you a new one even if the entire inside is completely black with mold. They will replace anything that is damaged.

When I picked mine up yesterday my service rep even told me (hesitantly) that they've been repairing several ST's with similar leaks. Hopefully the sides and rear section don't start separating the same way. I bought a 5yr warranty with mine so I have 4yrs left. Don't delay too long in getting it in for repairs because it can take a good chunk of time. It will get fixed though, and probably better than new.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I am wondering if your dealer would let you trade for another and give you a good deal. We did the same as you, took a Forest River pop up brand new, that someone had left the vent open and the cabinets were all warped. This dealer was 2 hour trip on busy roads and after taking it back twice to have it fixed and they had ordered wrong parts, they finally came out to the house to fix, they did reimburse us gas a couple of times, but never was right, we finally traded it in on our Sunset Trail, we just love our SS Trail 25rb. But the forest river dealer had offered us to trade up several times to get us out of the Forest River, we just never saw anything we liked there. Just a thought.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote

« 303 | Sleeper Sofa »