Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

2016 250RB Satellite Ready....

Just bought a 2016 250RB and it is satellite ready but is the antenna supplied with the unit substitute as satellite antenna or will we need another antenna for that? We are new to the camping world and I'm ready and taking in information like a sponge! Thanks in advance for the replies.
kgie1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Generally you will have to purchase the equipment. Mine was satellite ready back in 2007 when we purchased it. All that ment wast the cable for the sat was run seperate. teh connection for mine is in the basement. I purchased the tailgater and receiver a dish K211. Just plug and go. By the way it only goes to the main set.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Satellite equipment is not provided as part of the RV purchase. The unit may be pre-wired for a satellite connection via an installed cable normally on or near the rear cap.

This satellite cable usually runs only to the main television inside the RV. There is normally not a satellite connection for the outdoor television.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

The antenna on the roof is for local channels non sattelite. If you want sattelite you will need to purchase either a portable eg tailgater sattelite antenna or a fixed unit mounted on the roof. Then you will have to get with direct or dish for reciever equipment.the sattelite prep only involves running the cable from the roof to the tv or from the convenience center to the tv
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll be doing some research on portable satellites!
kgie1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have both the travail fixed unit and the carryout. Some parks you get into either have trees or mountains that block the fixed unit. If I can't get signal with the fixed I can usually get it with the portable
Old 02-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

My wife has convinced me we should get a satellite. I see where dish network will allow me to use one for almost nothing since I have one at home. Maybe a tailgater type is what I'm thinking.

My new problem is I can't find anywhere the receiver box will fit near the tv on the 250rb and I don't want to cut a hole. The cabinet is too small for the depth of the box. I've considered sitting it on the shelf with the tv and running another cable.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We have DirecTV at home, and a friend had a leftover dish.

We just added a receiver (standard def, not part of home system) and use the old dish.

If you are strictly looking at portable, I've heard good things about the Tailgater.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
We have DirecTV at home, and a friend had a leftover dish.

We just added a receiver (standard def, not part of home system) and use the old dish.

If you are strictly looking at portable, I've heard good things about the Tailgater.
Isn't it kind of hard to aim that?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
My wife has convinced me we should get a satellite. I see where dish network will allow me to use one for almost nothing since I have one at home. Maybe a tailgater type is what I'm thinking.

My new problem is I can't find anywhere the receiver box will fit near the tv on the 250rb and I don't want to cut a hole. The cabinet is too small for the depth of the box. I've considered sitting it on the shelf with the tv and running another cable.
Do you have room you could mount it behind the tv. You can then get an infrared device that plugs in to the reciever so the remote works
Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
Do you have room you could mount it behind the tv. You can then get an infrared device that plugs in to the reciever so the remote works
That wouldn't look very good. My tv sits in the center of the entertainment center and swivels from the living room to the bedroom 180 degrees. Back panel of tv then sits flush with whatever side tv isn't on.

Would also require some carpentry, which abilities I have, but I'm adverse to running screws into my new trailer, or a saw to it.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I think I'll unplug one of my receiver boxes in the house I'm not using and take it out to the trailer, set it on the shelf under the tv, and see how it looks and fits.
When it warms up in a day or 2.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
New Camper

I have two coax hook ups on the back of mine. One for cable, one for satellite. Above the TV in the entertainment center is where the other end of the one for the satellite comes out. I have a Dish tailgater. I ran coax from above the TV down to the bottom cabinet of the entertainment center where I have the Dish receiver. Then HDMI from the receiver back up to the TV. So when I get setup I just hook the Dish up with 50' of coax to the one for satellite.
C-n-DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

My trailer has the same swivel console. I initially had the Dish receiver in the upper cabinet, but it stuck out and I didn't like the open door at head level. The receiver also has a hard time reading the remote from the bedroom if in the living room. I moved the receiver to the space under the TV in the swivel cabinet, routing the hdmi and power cable through the existing cable holes. It does stick out, but now it swivels with the cabinet and can read the remote from either side.
I'd rather have it sticking out than to cut a hole in the cabinet. I'll probably put a metal support underneath.