Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

2016 st270bh - first trip!

Ok, First trip and first camping trip. We bought the TT in Akron OH and live near Pittsburgh,PA so the first trip was just driving 2 hours home. I was nervous and cautious, but all in all everything drove smoothly!

Then the trip: We went to Cook Forest, which is about 2hrs away also. Kind of a crappy weather weekend but we all had fun nonetheless.

I realized very quickly that I don't want to boondock or camp anywhere that doesn't have sewer hook up, because I think my tiny 26gallon Grey tank filled twice over the weekend! (Unless you are allowed to release grey water right onto the ground???)

We also found a small leak between our camper and the Awning to the left of our door. And the 2 front vents (by TV and in Front Bedroom) are not blowing ANY air out. Luckily the camper is small enough that the AC did a fine job of colling things down.

Also, the dealer filled my fresh water tank? Not sure why, but I have a lot of extra weight right now that is pretty unnecessary. I was thinking of dumping that water because all the campgrounds we plan to camp at will be full hookups. I looked under the camper by the freshwater intake and saw 2 hoses (red and blue) and then a little further away I saw another blue hose (all PEX tubing) with caps. Does anyone know if I am to open all of those and drain or which one should I open to drain the fresh water.

I might add that Camping World in Akron is where we bought our TT. They were nice and I think we got a very good deal but the "PDI" was NOT very thorough and I know I should have asked many more questions, but the guy didn't seem very knowledgeable and my wife was sick so After asking a few questions and he couldn't really answer I figured I would google the rest!!!

On father's day we had to pack up, and it was POURING right when I started my first breakdown. Oh well, I guess that is camping! At least I was able to go back in the TT and comepletely strip down and dry off then put on dry clothes before my 2 hour drive home.

Over all, I think it was a success! We are heading back out this weekend to Champion PA, Mountain Pines Campground. A little closer to home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Tow.jpg (266.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Home.jpg (324.5 KB, 10 views)
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

The red and blue lines would be your hot and cold water drain lines that are together. The other would be the drain for the fresh water tank. It doesn't hurt to have a little fresh water in your tank especially when traveling on the road. You can then use the bath room and stuff like that at rest stop or when filling up. Have fun with your new camper.

Mike
Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Good to hear. I have the same one and we love it. Just be sure to thoroughly go over it to include seams and all the items like black tank flush and water pump. I only had minor issues.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
New Camper

Congrats, we just bought the same 2016 trailer in May. Seems we have the same issues! I knew going in the gray tank was going to be small and we aren't terribly conservative. We will have to learn when not using full hookup sites, that is for sure. I went back and forth between this one and a Jayco Whitehawk that had bigger tanks. Ultimately, the dealer was willing to give a much better price on the Sunset trail so we went with it.

By the awning leak, you mean on the exterior of the unit correct? I have the same drip. I haven't worried enough to climb up and see what the issue may be to date.

Keep an eye out for recall paperwork, there is an issue with the hubs. Had to bring ours in to get checked out but it wasn't in the affected date range.

Otherwise, we have not had a single issue with anything on the trailer. We've had it out three times so far and have tried everything on it with the exception of the external satellite TV connection!
CRJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ123 View Post
Congrats, we just bought the same 2016 trailer in May. Seems we have the same issues! I knew going in the gray tank was going to be small and we aren't terribly conservative. We will have to learn when not using full hookup sites, that is for sure. I went back and forth between this one and a Jayco Whitehawk that had bigger tanks. Ultimately, the dealer was willing to give a much better price on the Sunset trail so we went with it.

By the awning leak, you mean on the exterior of the unit correct? I have the same drip. I haven't worried enough to climb up and see what the issue may be to date.

Keep an eye out for recall paperwork, there is an issue with the hubs. Had to bring ours in to get checked out but it wasn't in the affected date range.

Otherwise, we have not had a single issue with anything on the trailer. We've had it out three times so far and have tried everything on it with the exception of the external satellite TV connection!
Yes. When awning is extended, and only during a major downpour. we saw water leaking from the part of the awning that is attached to the camper, it trickled down the outside of the camper to the left of our door. Probably just needs sealed a little. And didn't leak during light rain.

I JUST bought mine. I hope I don't fall in the recall...
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I know this may be a silly comment, but we have a Sunset Trail reserve 26rb. After a few trips, we discovered we had two grey water holding tanks! Our dealer failed to show tell us. It was after I kept seeing our's showing full after we "thought" we had fully dumped our trailer. The second tank valve was a little bit under the trailer. The kitchen sink drains to that tank while everything else drains to the other grey water tank.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote