Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

254RB question...

We're looking at pulling the trigger on a new Sunset Trails Superlite 254RB. I was wondering if anyone nows how well their winter pkg works for colder camping. I understand that they have heating pads around the water tanks. I wondered how well the unit does. One of the other brands of TT's has a system that supposedly keeps the tank area a constant 50 degrees. That TT does not have as much room in it and we really like the 254RB but we do like to do cold weather camping. Just thought I'd ask.

Todd
Old 01-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm going to give this a bump. Must be somebody out there that has an answer for the op's questions.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd. I was just back here checking. I did find out some other details about the 254RB other than the cold weather pkg. Will stay posted.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I have the 2016 250RB which is basically the same as the 254RB. I know we cold camped a few times last season. We never had any issues with heating the camper with the furnace. However, we did buy a small ceramic heater to help supplement the heating also it helped save on gas. We don't have the heated tanks on ours but I'm sure those work very well in extreme cold temps. I know we camped a few times when the temps got around mid-20's. We had no issues with water freezing or anything. Just my 2 cents on it. Hope that helps.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks kgie!

Appreciate the input and the PM's. I'm still going to try and find out how they do their Cold Weather Pkg. After talking to another salesperson from a different RV company who described in detail how they heat the underbelly, I just assumed everyone had info on it. I'll keep digging.....

Todd
Old 01-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Team

On mine, it's just radiant heat that comes off the heat runs.
Let us know if you come up with any concrete info other then what might eventually pop up here.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Will do........
Old 01-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

For what its worth, I too have a 2016 250RB. I ran into a gentleman this past summer who had the same 2016 250RB as I do, except he did have the winter package. This gentleman stated that he and his wife used their TT all year long and that the winter package worked great. No, I did not get any details about the winter package.

GBZY
---------------
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
GBZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

So far......

I found that Crossroads does offer the Extreme Winter Pkg on the Grand Reserve Trailer. This has heating pads on the tanks that have a separate switch to turn them on. I noticed some RV dealers that had 2016 Super Lite Sunset Trails with the same package listed on the sales thread but no info on it. It was never presented to me by the dealer to be an "extreme winter pkg" but I think I'll give him a call to see if they had any more info on it. I did notice on the CR website that the Grand Reserve section does list the EWP, but the Sunset Lite does not have anything listed as a "cold weather pkg". The search continues.

Todd
Old 01-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Update...

So I spoke with the dealer today in our area about the Cold weather pkg on the Sunset Trails Superlite that we were looking at. The Superlite series underbelly is heated via the heating ducts that heat the camper as noted by Lloyd. I thought he made it sound like there were duct openings helping with this but don't quote me on that. The Reserve model comes with pads that heat the tanks from the bottom that are on a 12volt switch that you can turn on during travel time in cold weather so the tanks will receive heat while traveling. They both have increased insulation wrapped around the tanks themselves and in the underbelly. Soooooooo I think that pretty much answers my question. Thanks to all that chimed in.

Todd
Old 01-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
On mine, it's just radiant heat that comes off the heat runs.
Let us know if you come up with any concrete info other then what might eventually pop up here.

Never mentioned duct openings.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

If yours is like mine (which is/was advertised as 4 season), the "extra" insulation is 1 layer of the foil bubble wrap between the tanks & the coroplast underbelly.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote