Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
New Camper

300bh

We bought a 2014 300BH in Jan of 2014. Unfortunately, we only got to camp 2-3 times in 2014 due to a major shoulder surgery. As a result we winterize the camper in late Sept or early Oct. It sits in our backyard so we see the camper daily. So, early 2015 we un-winterize and prepare for our camping season when my wife notices a huge "dent" (no, nothing was dropped on the camper nor did we hit anything) in the center of the front cap. We shrug our shoulders and when we are inside and open cabinet in the front right corner of the camper we see water spots! I step outside and see ripples all up and down the edge where the front cap and the sidewall meet.

I took it to our dealer and he advised this was a manufacturer defect. He calls Crossroads and they refuse to fix the issue. Our dealer says he can repair the problem but it will cost over $4,000.oo. I feel like since this appears to be a common problem that Crossroads should be liable and repair this problem. I also find it odd that they have redesigned the front end for 2015.

So, it appears that I have my work cut out for me in dealing with Crossroads...Wish I would have done a little more research before purchasing.

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions would be welcome to respond.

Scott and Liane
Maryville, TN
volrnemtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
New Camper

I also have a 300BH. I have not had an issue with the front cap yet, but I understand Crossroads has had issues with that. I have had 25 things that need to be fixed on my camper in the 13 months I have owned it. I continue to have problems with it, and Crossroads has told me they can't do anything for me now that the warranty is up. I agree that I should have done more research before buying from Crossroads. It is very discouraging that Crossroads does not stand behind their products. Good luck with your battle against Crossroads. I am in it with you.
EZSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a 2013 300BH and we had swelling on the front cap in several places. It was water coming into the unit around the marker lights. We were a month out of warranty and Crossroads covered it since it was not sealed properly at the factory. I had to take the trailer to the factory repair center, but they did cover it. This is a well known and documented issue on this forum. They replaced the front cap an repairs were close to 28 hours of work plus whatever the supplies cost. I'm guessing around $5K of work. Escalate your situation to management. The president is aware of this forum, so reaching out to him (Andy Cripe) isn't a bad start.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I've got a 2014 300BH. No problems seen with the front cap. They did have to replace the stereo system (wouldn't play a CD). Had to fix the awning. I did have a rubber seal around the back window come loose on one edge and had to fix that.
Ford F-150 Twin Turbo, Max Towing Package
exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have a 2015 Maple Country 300BH, and I does not have the fibre glass cap. From what I've read, I'm lucky.
Chiveon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiveon View Post
I have a 2015 Maple Country 300BH, and I does not have the fibre glass cap. From what I've read, I'm lucky.

What does it have?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
What does it have?

If it is like the older units, it has the gelcoat wrap around.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
If it is like the older units, it has the gelcoat wrap around.

Isn't that a form of fiberglass?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Yes, actually it is. in terms of the actual material. In terms of the difference between the two models, one is referred to as a fiberglass cap (left image). My trailer has the same wrap as the right image. It is gel coated vs set in a solid resin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (7.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg download (1).jpg (9.0 KB, 63 views)

Old 12-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #10
Site Team

Gelcoat as far as I know is a paint impregnated resin which is sprayed into the mold first. Then the fiberglass is added in different forms and layers.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
Site Team

I think the older cap is filon coated with gel coat, just like the side walls. The fiberglass is like what Lloyd said, fiberglass with the gel coating in the mold. Gel coat could also be sprayed on like a paint. My son did this in his training for collision repair degree. Gel coat can also be purchased in spray cans.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

The front of mine, is like the bottom picture Ohio Mark posted. Its winter up in Yellowknife, camper covered in snow.
Chiveon is offline   Reply With Quote