Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just picked up our new 2014 Sunset Trail ST28BH Travel Trailer! We have spent two nights so far at the dealership campgrounds, and happy so far with the camper.

Our only major issue was an 8 inch gauge in the floor and sub floor because crossroads put in too long of a screw in the slideout dinette. We are waiting for new flooring shipped to dealer to be installed at a later date.

We are camping in August in Florida so it is hot hot, 92 and humid. In the heat of the day we cant get the thermostat under 80 with normal ducting. We have 15k btu AC unit, AC is on hi fan as well. We have blinds shut during direct sunlight, awning open, and most lights and heat sources off.

Now if we open the vents on the flush mount AC it will cool things off a good bit but still takes an hour or so to get in mid 70's temperatures.

Questions - should we have to use those vents? And is it ok to leave them open? Our dealer told us not to leave them on for more than 10 minutes or so, not sure why.

We don't expect it to get supper cold in here quick after it was towed but we find it odd for it to struggle to get below 80 during the heat of the day after having it nice and cool all night.

Any tips on better use of the ac unit or what we should be expecting cooling wise would be appreciated.

We upgraded from a 13.5k btu high wall pop up that would get super cold after 3 hours in hot weather.

Thank you
Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

On that large of trailer in high heat , there is a need of a second ac.

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Put a fan on your countertop and one by the dinette that seems to keep ours very cool. We live in Florida and we have the sunset trail reserve 25 rb, so it is a bit smaller than yours. I was surprised it kept it cool as we always leave our roof vents open about 1/2 way or more.

I was very happy to see that we could open our windows in the Keys and the noseeums and bugs could not get through the screens.

Hope you enjoy your trailer as much as we enjoy ours.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge1

Questions - should we have to use those vents? And is it ok to leave them open? Our dealer told us not to leave them on for more than 10 minutes or so, not sure why.

Any tips on better use of the ac unit or what we should be expecting cooling wise would be appreciated.

Thank you
I don't understand your dealers reasoning. Why do they put the dump capability on the AC units if you aren't suppose to use them???????
I use mine when I want more cooling in that area. Plus I've owned a couple units that didn't have ducting, so that was the way it was used---dumped !!

You might want to take a mirror and flashlight and look in the ducting to see if the ends are closed off and sealed. If not have your dealer seal them up cause it's just blowing your cold air into the attic. You might also pull each of the dispersal rings off and look in there to see if they sealed around where it hooks into the duct.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote