Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just purchased a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD just in time to put it to bed for the winter!!! When I extended the awning I noticed that there was some sag in it and that it was resting on the slide. Is this normal? I am concerned it not only will pool water if it rains at night but it the slide will rub a hole in the awning. Am I just lucky or is everyone else this way as well????

Cheers
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Have seen many do this when fully extended. I don't fully open mine, close it just enough to tighten it up.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I assume it is electric, if it is I cant answer that, but if its a manual one mine does not have a sag when it is extended. If in doubt take it back to your dealer and have them check it.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Sounds like you have an electric awning, right? Crossroads normally uses the A&E brand and it automatically dumps rain water and it will dump to whichever side collects the most water. Sounds like a bad engineering decision to have this type of awning extending over a slide out, for the reason you are concerned about, but that is just my opinion. Carefree makes an electric awning that doesn't have the auto dump feature, but instead like a manual awning, the owner can set one side lower than the other for rain runoff and hopefully keep the awning fabric higher than the slide out edge.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

It should also be adjustable for the angle. Perhaps you need it adjusted up so that it doesn't slope down as much. Should have an owners manual for it in your stack of papers or check online once you know your make of awning.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the advice!!! Never knew it may auto dump rain water...that kind of cool!!! Now I want to get out the hose and test it!!!

As for it touching the slide, I was just going to put some round foam pipe wrap on the slide for now but I'll stop by the local dealer and see if it needs to be adjusted for hight.

With reference to the mountain of manuals....I am still trying to get through them but with work and a three year old there is not a lot of to read right now. Hopefully I will come across it soon as I am finding all sorts of cool auto features I had no idea about!!! I think the salesman new about as much as I did when it came to the unit.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Mine sticks pretty much straight out and is taught. I can open and close it with the door open. Dealer told me about the "rain dump" feature. I asked about wether or not I needed to lower one side like so many do and was told no. It does in fact "trip" and dumps rain to one side or the other with a hard rain then snaps back.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Ok, I called the dealer and was told that awning is made by Carefree and does not dump water automatically. He said there are pins on each side that will allow me to offset the awning so rain will run off. All that being said, I really don't have a ton of faith in his knowledge as it seemed like I knew far more about it than he did when doing the PDI. He was not sure where the hot water tank was located inside the unit, did not know if there was a bypass and tried to move the slide in with the table up!!! It was literally inches from crushing the island kitchen when I noticed it and yelled!!!!

Unfortunately, the trailer is currently at the father-in-laws place 45 min south of me so I will have to wait until Saturday before I can actually look at it myself.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Mine is Carefree and has auto dump. Just read the manual it explains it all.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We have a 2014 ST28BH and I'm not sure which brand our awning is...but I know that we were shown how to lower one side in order to allow the rain to dump off. However, since our kitchen bumps out right under the awning, the slide is touching or nearly touching the awning even when it's NOT raining. If we pitch the awning then it's resting right on the corner of the slide. Definitely a poor design...although we love both the opposing slides and the awning. Just think they could have planned a little better for that situation.

When we get a heavy rain - and we do - DH just goes out with a broom and runs it along the underside of the awning, forcing the water to one side or the other. Haven't really had a problem yet...but we're only had it a couple of months. Who knows if time will wear a spot in the awning or a middle of the night downpour will cause a problem.
Edited by: Edge2
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer5
What type of Carefree awning do you have? As I said, there was no manual in the unit documentation so I am trying to find one online but have not been successful yet.

I am hoping it has the auto dump but agree that it is a serious design flaw having it over the slide. So far I am planning to cut one of those foam kids swim noodles and will put it over the slide to try and decrease the rubbing effect on the awning.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer5
What type of Carefree awning do you have? As I said, there was no manual in the unit documentation so I am trying to find one online but have not been successful yet.

I am hoping it has the auto dump but agree that it is a serious design flaw having it over the slide. So far I am planning to cut one of those foam kids swim noodles and will put it over the slide to try and decrease the rubbing effect on the awning.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/docs/tech/052540-221r9%20Travel'R,%20Owners%20Manual.pdf
Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks Beamer,

That link does not work but I get that you have the Travelr. I think mine is the same so I will look throught those manuals....thanks again!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Should work?

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/docs/tech/052540-221r9%20Travel'R,%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=product&productid=32&categ oryid=36
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

The auto dump is not fancy it just works as the weight of the water pooling will collapse the gas strut then they will spring back out, don't think I would rely on that as you could easily stretch the fabric. Carefree does not recommend use in the rain.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

I have seen posts on other forums about people with autodump features to their awning having a problem with it not dumping frequent enough and as a result got enough sag to cause awning collapse. IIRC it was a carefree model I saw this posted about but it may have carried over to other brands. I would check your manuals to see if it is ok or possible to off set the awning some to allow for rain drainoff. That said I have a manual awning and no real experience with automatic awnings just relaying info seen before.Oh and on my manual awning the trailer door is rounded but does rub the awning everytime we open it. So far no issues with the awning and we are finishing our 3rd season in it.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Ok, I called the dealer and was told that awning is made by Carefree and does not dump water automatically. He said there are pins on each side that will allow me to offset the awning so rain will run off.

If it is a Carefree, then the dealer is probably right, there are pins on each side that do allow for some offset. So, you should be able to raise the side over the slide out. I had a similar Carefree awning (dealer installed) on my last Cruiser. There is no need to reset the two sides back to level before closing the awning, I set mine just once so the side opposite the door was low to direct runoff in that direction. Worked great for 7 yrs.

While it is true that the gas struts will close under the weight of water, that is not really an auto dump feature. If both sides are level, then both sides may close at the same time, water will still remain trapped in the center of the awning and damage is likely.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

So you don't have to re-level it after tilting it for run off? You would think this could cause damage to the fabric while traveling as it would not roll back properly.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
So you don't have to re-level it after tilting it for run off? You would think this could cause damage to the fabric while traveling as it would not roll back properly.

No you don't as long as you don't till it too much, it is all explained clearly in the manual.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Don't know if there designed this way but while both awning arms have struts mine always dumps toward the rear of the trailer
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote