Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
New Camper

Axle/Wheel Bearing issues

Have any of you who own a Sunset Trail had issues with bearing failure or axle replacement?

In March of 2016, we bought a Sunset Trail 250 RB. We love the camper. The floor plan is awesome and the full size shower for a 6'3 guy like me is perfect.

The summer of 2016 camping went well. No major issues.

However, last summer we took a trip out West. We left home (Cincinnati) and made it to St. Louis as a nightly stop over. The next morning we left for Oklahoma and within two two hours, we had an issue. People were driving by and flagging us down. Our bearing had failed and it was smoking. A tire repair shop nearby put a new bearing/assembly on. We were on our way and no major issues. When we returned from our 35 day trip, we brought the camper into the RV dealership where we had purchased it from. They had bad news, the entire axle had to replaced. And it was a FIGHT to get warranty to pay for it. Long story short, it was fixed and we continued to enjoy camping on the weekends and such.

Fast forward to last week...we came home from a great, 3 week trip to Michigan. On the final day, we made the 6:45 hour trip home. When we crossed into Ohio, I stopped to get gas and noticed a burning smell. I checked the tires and sure enough, the other wheel (different axle this time) had a bearing issue. It was smoking this time. I think I caught it before things got too bad. So.....as I write this, we are waiting for an axle to be shipped to a tire repair shop in northern Ohio. I have been told it will arrive Monday and be done and ready for the road that afternoon. Meanwhile, it sits in a grocery store parking lot 2.5 hours from home....

I know life happens, but a camper this "young" should not have two failed axles/bearings in this short amount of time. Right?
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7
dougpanfalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Doug, have you weighed your RV, both empty and fully loaded? What are the axles rated for?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
New Camper

I have not weighed the camper. But I never carry water and always empty my black/grey tanks before travel. I don't feel that we over pack our camper with excess weight.
The axles are 3500 lbs and they are Lippert, unfortunately. The replacement axle that arrives Monday is 3500 lbs but it is a Dexter axle, which I heard is better. Let's hope. This second axle/bearing failure has caused us to rethink camping. As my buddy who had this same issue with his 5th Wheeler (not a Crossroads product) said to me, "I think camping is going to be local from now on. No more long trips..."
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Old 06-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Search axles and you will probably get alot of posts. I needed 2 axles and 4 springs after 3 weeks on mine . Went from 3500# to 4400# with matching springs. I was under weight too. Been towing great since then . Also added wet bolts at the same time.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Axel

I also am having problems with my Axel's.and other things. I also don't travel with any fluids in my tank or groceries we stop and pick everything up after we reach the site and set up. Good Time to get a little break from the kids. Just wife and I.
I'm completely unsatisfied with are purchase of the Cross Roads product love the layout but the craftmenship of the product is not worth the money we spent water damage on the front right side have read many complaints about this issue. Always the same not are fault.
What happened to a company that stood behind there product . Does anyone take pride in there work/product anymore what has happened.
HikerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Many of us share your pain.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
New Camper

I am 100% with you HikerJim! It's not just a Crossroads thing either. People/companies hardly take pride in their products/services these days. Nobody takes personal responsibility! It's discouraging!

I received this e-mail from Crossroads yesterday....

Thank you for allowing Keystone RV to review your case, I have the pictures to my Service Liaison and he states that you have a grease zirk at the end of your spindle. What has happened is your grease zirk was over pumped and blew out the seals.

At this time we respectfully decline participation on this matter. If we can be of further assistance please contact us at ownerrelations@keystonerv.com or you may call into our call center at 866-425-4369. We are available Mon-Thur from 8am to 5pm and Fri from 8am to 4pm EST. An advisor will be happy to assist you. Thank you and Have a Good Day.
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have given some serious thought about just building a trailer are self's that way I know what was put on and into it. Being a drywall finisher for 30 years I have a eye for detail and take pride in my work. You have to stand up some time and say enough we will not be treated this way.
HikerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
New Camper

Weight might be a issue if you build your own.
There's a reason the trailers are so light.
allenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
New Camper

I for one like those grease fittings.Three winter vacations to the gulf and so far so good.Spin the wheel slowly while pumping grease and watch for it to come out past the outer bearing.
It seems to work so well my only concern is not being able to monitor the condition of the brakes using this system.
This is my experience. You don't have to agree with it.
allenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Sorry to hear about it. I have a 2014 sunset trail reserve 32rl and the same thing happened to me coming home from Maryland to CT luckily there was a RV dealership in Delaware that I was able to make it to. I purchased the extended warranty for my rig and was fortunate enough that they covered about 70 percent of the expense. But how inconvenient, . I am very nervous that the same thing is going to happen to the other Axle. It's funny when I called Cross roads to see if there were any recalls or something on this Axle and they told me no but when I called lippert they told me they no longer make that Axle anymore. I'm not happy at all with Cross roads and will never purchase another one of there products. Zero quality control!!!!. I wish you luck and don't let this make you want to stop traveling. Roll on my man
tgiff is offline   Reply With Quote