Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bathroom access?

I just purchased a 2016 ST33FR, when the slides are all in it looks like I won't have access to the bathroom....The table appears to be in the way. Does anyone else have this problem? This may be a stupid question, I'm gonna go out and take another look.....
2 kids, a dog and a camper
shawntate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Our daughter has a similar issue with her ST 270 BH. She knew that going in, but the other attributes the trailer has (double bunks, etc.) made her decide to put up with that.

There is another similar model to hers that has a second entrance through the bathroom, but the weight of the unit was too much for her TV.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I guess I should have noticed, or asked......I love the setup, just realized while packing prior to our first voyage that we don't have access.....
2 kids, a dog and a camper
shawntate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you put the kitchen slide out, can you access the bathroom?

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
New Camper

Can you swap the door around so it opens into the bathroom? Not sure what your set up looks like, just an idea
craig89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I turned my door to open in instead of out. Easy to do , just put the left frame on the right and right frame on the left. and you will have to reverse the knob. may need to put a cabinet door bumper pad on the toilet where the door hits.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

@Shawntate unfortunately that is one of the drawbacks of this floor plan. You can't access the bathroom or back room without opening the slide.
Additionally, reversing the door won't work, as there isn't enough room inside the bathroom to open the door. Besides that, the way the dinette blocks access to the bathroom altogether. The only way to get in there is to slightly open the slide out. But to tell you the truth, it really hasn't been much of a problem for us. We generally don't stop unless we need fuel anyway.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

John, I'm sorry you weren't told. Hope you can make it like John and Cheryl, above, who use theirs as a "we don't really use it until we get there" camper. We use ours at small stops along the way, for lunches, breaks, even naps. I would be heartbroken. If you are having some "buyers remorse," get a lawyer and act quickly, while you're in your first month. Maybe, just maybe, the dealer will make you an offer. Good luck!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Ours is set up in a similar way. If we have to go, we just pull the kitchen slide out about maybe two feet and that allows us to squeeze around the kitchen sink area and access the bathroom with enough room to open the door. Haven't found it to be a major problem.
Ford F-150 Twin Turbo, Max Towing Package
exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
Site Team

It's important to list your priorities when looking to buy a camper. Not only for when you're set up at the campground but for when you are traveling on the road. My wife's priority was to have access to the refrigerator and the bathroom while on the road. But even if you have to put the slide out a little to gain access, it's not that much of a problem.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:27 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by exposurecontrol View Post
Ours is set up in a similar way. If we have to go, we just pull the kitchen slide out about maybe two feet and that allows us to squeeze around the kitchen sink area and access the bathroom with enough room to open the door. Haven't found it to be a major problem.
Just a word of caution to those with Schwintek slides that you can get the motors out of sync if you only deploy them part way out.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Thankfully don't have this problem anymore with our new trailer, but the Rockwood we traded in had the same issue. We take a lot of long trips and my wife and daughter both have a "thing" about using fuel station bathrooms.

I just made it a habit of keeping a couple extra feet off the pumps and we opened the slides at the gas station. Had to open the kitchen slide to shut off the fridge while fueling anyway, so it wasn't really that big of a deal for us.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
Had to open the kitchen slide to shut off the fridge while fueling anyway, so it wasn't really that big of a deal for us.
How about shutting the gas valve off at the tank to shut down the fridge for fueling...then alll you do is turn the gas back on at the tank and fridge will re-ignite.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
How about shutting the gas valve off at the tank to shut down the fridge for fueling...then alll you do is turn the gas back on at the tank and fridge will re-ignite.
If you kill the gas without shutting off the fridge the igniter will still spark as it unsuccessfully tries to re-ignite. While I think it is highly unlikely that spark will ignite any latent fumes in the air, it is still a source to potentially cause a fire. Plus, I figure that having the igniter fire every few minutes is causing undo wear on it, so that is why I just turn the whole unit off at a fuel station.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
If you kill the gas without shutting off the fridge the igniter will still spark as it unsuccessfully tries to re-ignite. While I think it is highly unlikely that spark will ignite any latent fumes in the air, it is still a source to potentially cause a fire. Plus, I figure that having the igniter fire every few minutes is causing undo wear on it, so that is why I just turn the whole unit off at a fuel station.
Forget about that , unless you remember to shut off battery (if you have a battery shut off) and unplug truck ...which would all be a pain...

Old 12-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

That is one of the things you learn as you trade rv's - you find out what you want/need - and it is not the job of lawyers, it's your job

One thing to remember about putting slides out part way (which we used to do on our first slide rv with swintek)
if it's raining, the seals only work if the slide is all the way in or all the way out.

good luck....
buy your third rv first
Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Our daughter has a similar issue with her ST 270 BH. She knew that going in, but the other attributes the trailer has (double bunks, etc.) made her decide to put up with that.

There is another similar model to hers that has a second entrance through the bathroom, but the weight of the unit was too much for her TV.
I have that model. Why not enter from the back door? Our bathroom door stays open, with a hook, while traveling also.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote