Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
New Camper

I have a 29RL Sunset Trail travel trailer that is having a battery charging issue. When the trailer is plugged into an external AC power supply the battery seems to die off over time. I will find the refrigerator will cycle on and off when the battery voltage gets low and the "auto" switch is turned on so the propane should take over, but unless you turn on an AC electrical device (something with a higher load demand an external heater or electrical oven) the DC converter doesn't come on to charge the batteries. I have replaced both batteries after a 5 year period, but the problem has resurfaced shortly after which leads me to believe I have a sensing or switching issue. If anyone has had the same problem and can assist me with my issue please let me know what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance! Victor
Old 11-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Turning on any A/C electrical device should have no effect on the DC converter operation. As you turn on lights and other DC devices the converter should turn on and you should here the converter fan come on. Sounds like a converter issue. Check the DC voltage at the battery, should be anywhere from 13.2 to 14.2 depending on the load and the charge in the battery. This is the approximate output range of the converter.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
New Camper

When the converter comes on I get good voltage at the battery, but when the battery voltage decreases the converter doesn't come back on unless there is an outside stimulus. When I'm towing the vehicle alternator continues to charge the trailer batteries so the problem doesn't reappear until the trailer is parked without hookup for several days.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

There is a 40AMp fuse in the breaker box that some times will blow. If this is blown, it will do what you have discribed

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
New Camper

Both of the 40 amp fuses on the panel visually check good and I also checked them with a multimeter.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

get a trickle charger see if the battery will take a charge with it.. if it does than your converter needs to be check. If not than you have a bad battery... Oh yes make certian that the battery is connected properly.
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
New Camper

Charging the batteries externally works and the batteries hold a charge...its the constant draw without the converter kicking in to maintain the charge is the problem. I just wanted to make sure that because of the odd situation with increasing the AC load and the converter kicking in didn't point to something other that the converter. Evidently its the low voltage sensing circuit that is failing on the converter and most likely buying a new converter will be cheaper than getting the old one evaluated and repaired.