Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Bike rack and other questions

Hello, I recently purchased a 2015 Sunset Trail 270bh and was wondering if I can take the spare tire off the back and put a bike rack on the bumper, holding 2 bikes at most? Also, I store the camper offsite( i would keep it behind my house but my wife likes it offsite) besides pulling the battery is there any reasonably priced way to secure it to the trailer? And I hope there is someone out there who likes their trailer, it seems like all I am seeing are people complaining about them.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is some reading about bike racks.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ions-8980.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...32rl-8460.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...acks-7397.html

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...70bh-6183.html

Yes, there are people out there that actually like their camper. They just aren't as vocal as the ones that have problems.
Enjoy yours, and welcome to the forum.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome! Without reading the links, two things to consider before mounting a bike rack directly to your bumper:

1. It may void your frame warranty. (Mounting a receiver hitch to the frame also voids some frame warranties.)
2. Ensure your bumper is actually fully welded to the frame. If it is just tack welded, the flexing of the bumper as your bike rack absorbs the bouncing of the trailer during travel could, and likely would, break the tack welds and cause you to lose the bumper, bike rack, and bikes.

That said, I've used a four bike Swagman for several years, and I have a bumper mounted receiver for it. I've towed many miles, and the only problem I ever had was the flexing of the bumper on my Blue Ridge actually caused one of the end caps on the bumper to fall off going down the road, which led to the loss of one of my sections of "stinky slinky".
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post

Yes, there are people out there that actually like their camper. They just aren't as vocal as the ones that have problems.
Enjoy yours, and welcome to the forum.
I have considered one to go above the propane tanks but I think that I am heavy enough up front. Probably just keep them in the truck (but I really wanted a cover for the bed).

I hope to enjoy mine, first time out is the first weekend in May. Any suggestions to secure the battery? I was hoping someone made a cheap box out of diamond plate but that is where the expense comes in.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Team

I don't know if they have what you are looking for or not.

Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCE-G)

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

If you get real serious there are fabricators out there that can build you one.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Does anyone just put the bikes inside the trailer? I have a 270BH and am pretty sure I can put a couple of bikes inside with the slide in.
Kingfish58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:14 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Have a 2014 ST25RB. Yep, I put the bikes in the trailer. Only two adult bikes though. Just make sure you secure them well and check on them. Hate to have a pedal rub a hole in something you know.
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post
Does anyone just put the bikes inside the trailer? I have a 270BH and am pretty sure I can put a couple of bikes inside with the slide in.
I placed my bikes inside an old trailer I had years ago, because the bumper hitch broke. One of the bike dented the wall and another scratched the floor.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish58 View Post

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...iler-8667.html
Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

To secure the batteries I've seen people make vented diamond plated boxes with a lock.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
To secure the batteries I've seen people make vented diamond plated boxes with a lock.
I wonder how hard that is to do, I might have to try it because this is too expensive...

Prevent Camper and RV Battery Theft - PowerArmor Locking Storage Battery Box | Torklift International

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Site Team

If the bike rack and bikes don't weigh anymore than the spare tire did, then you should not have a problem. At least IMHO.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Welcome aboard and happy camping.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Battery lock

I have been trying to figure the bike rack ordeal out myself. Have a bike inside and when I have room in the TV.

I bought a clamp that locks around the battery box. It didnt fit perfectly and if someone really wants it it can be defeated (pretty much anything on the trailer) But there are plenty of people who do not lock it and most thieves are looking for a quick hit. Otherwise I am happy with it.

B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKT4387 View Post
I bought a clamp that locks around the battery box. It didnt fit perfectly and if someone really wants it it can be defeated (pretty much anything on the trailer) But there are plenty of people who do not lock it and most thieves are looking for a quick hit. Otherwise I am happy with it.

B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.
Locks just keep honest people honest. If a thief wants it bad enough they will destroy and vandalize just to get it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I will say about locks. I got the locks for the surge protector and Our first trip with the camper it stoped a guy that was next to us from taking it. We had a storm and he asked me about it. I was working on the water problem on our new camper and my wife said the air just shut off. Now I am thinking what else is going on???? looked at the fuses and nothing went out to the box and the unit was on the ground and it was as if some one wanted the unit out of the box. The guys camper was taking off down the road be fore I put 2 and 2 together. I was hunting for him 5 min later but he was gone LOL. Didn't mean to steal your thread

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
I will say about locks. I got the locks for the surge protector and Our first trip with the camper it stoped a guy that was next to us from taking it. We had a storm and he asked me about it. I was working on the water problem on our new camper and my wife said the air just shut off. Now I am thinking what else is going on???? looked at the fuses and nothing went out to the box and the unit was on the ground and it was as if some one wanted the unit out of the box. The guys camper was taking off down the road be fore I put 2 and 2 together. I was hunting for him 5 min later but he was gone LOL. Didn't mean to steal your thread
I hate those kind of campers.....One of those type took my "stinky slinky" ground sloping support device....really....

I too have the lock for the surge protector. I guess with enough time, however, they can take the entire power cord.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

I just zip tied mine to the main cord. The plastic lock box at CW didn't seem any more secure to me. Fortunately I think most campers are fairly honest.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Back to the bike rack issue; I installed a receiver type bike rack on my bumper at the Camping World dealership the day I purchased my Sunset Trails camper. I did not remove the spare tire. I carry two bikes using a Swagman bike rack and have not had any problems for the past two years on long trips.

https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...ailsCamper.jpghttps://ptarthur.com/Sunsettrailscamper.jpg
ptarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the Google of CR information the answer booth to all your camping questions. Have a great time camping.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote