Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

In my opinion I would not put a bike rack on the back bumper. I did and it lasted a year and a half before it started to come off. I only had 2 bikes on my rack. Check out my new bumper here:
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...per-13360.html

This is what happens.

Dave
2011 Cruiser CF31REP 5th Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Dually, Cummins 5.9
55wed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

I'm still researching my best option - it's a winter project now. I'm staying away from the rear bumper, just to be safe. Has anyone used one of these fold down bike racks? It seems they would be more sturdy than a receiver type. Mounting this would be about as much work as adding a receiver hitch.

Any experience with this type of bike rack? I would build my own, but similar to this LCI model.
https://store.lci1.com/70-1-2-x-25-slotted-bike-rack

Thanks for your input.
Marty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70-1-2-x-25-slotted-bike-rack-weldment.jpg (1.9 KB, 145 views)
Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #23
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom73 View Post
We just got our new 2017 Sunset Trail Super Lite 289QB. We love it so far. I would like to carry bikes on a rack on the back bumper. Is this possible? Is the bumper capable of the weight of 4 bikes? I was thinking of getting a 2" receiver adapter, mounting to the bumper and using a hitch type bike rack in it. The bumper is hollow with the sewer hose stored in it. Has anyone done this on an aluminum framed TT? I really appreciate seeing how you set this up.

We are towing with an Escalade, so there is no bed to carry them in...

Thanks for your help.
Marty
I have a 2018 331BH and needed to carry 4 bikes also. Removed Spare Tire & added the 4 Bike Carrier + (2 Adult & 2 Kid Bikes)to the Universal Addon 2" Hitch Receiver about a foot out from the inner part of the frame. After 60 miles Bumper started to Bend slightly. I ordered the support brackets and installed before we recently went on vacation 475 miles away. Everything worked great and never moved on the way down. Roads were very bumpy. On the way home was a different story. About 175 miles from home someone stopped us and told us our bike rack fell off in the middle of the road. After turning around to go retrieve them we arrived to find that the bumper brackets held perfectly & the bikes were still attached to the rack but the hardened U bolts that held the Hitch on broke off. Needless to say we were lucky we were not in heavy traffic and caused an accident. But unfortunately we will be in the process of replacing 4 Bikes. My suggestion would be to have the hitch welded to the frame also.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

I keep saying to add 2 eyescrews about eye level on the rear corners of the trailer . Go right thru the rubber trim that hides the screws. Rachet strap from left side around the bikes and to the right side....no bouncing at all. And eyescrews go into the "meat" of the corner.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

I have a 2017 Zinger and sent a note to the factory asking about mounting racks. They said do not mount anything other than the spare (done at the factory) as it voids the warranty. So maybe wait a year if you have your heart set on it...
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

I didn't want to risk the back bumper, and the cost of a custom made hitch was too high for me. So I settled on storing them inside the camper. I made this setup last summer and it has worked great since. Easy, cheap and no risk of the bikes 'disappearing' on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180520_144236.jpg (173.1 KB, 25 views)

2017 Sunset Trail Superlite 289QB
2016 Escalade

Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

We just installed a Jack-it bike rack to hold two bikes above the tongue jack.
Easy install, a little tedious to get the pegs and hooks dialed in for the bikes, but very happy with the way it works and holds. A big plus is we can see the bikes in the rear view mirror.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote