Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Question Black tank mysteriously filling?

We bought a 2018 Sunset Trail 26SI last fall. Used it once last year and once again this spring. Our spring trip was over Memorial day, full hookups. Before we left the campsite to head home, we dumped the black tank, flushed it 2 times using the flushing system. Then closed the black tank and dumped both grey tanks. We actually dumped the black tank several times while camping that week.

We also checked the tank indicators to make sure they said they were empty - all good. They don't appear to be sticking because they show empty after we dump. We drop the trailer off at the dealer where it's in a secure fenced area.

Today, we pick up the trailer and bring it home. I unhook and level. Check the tanks and the black tank says it's 2/3rds full. Odd, so I open the toilet drain and look in with a flash light. Sure enough, pretty full. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how it went from empty to 2/3rds full in 6 weeks of no use.

I also looked at the roof vent to make sure it's not somehow letting water in - nope looks good.

Anyone have any ideas?
https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg
mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenannie View Post
We bought a 2018 Sunset Trail 26SI last fall. Used it once last year and once again this spring. Our spring trip was over Memorial day, full hookups. Before we left the campsite to head home, we dumped the black tank, flushed it 2 times using the flushing system. Then closed the black tank and dumped both grey tanks. We actually dumped the black tank several times while camping that week.

We also checked the tank indicators to make sure they said they were empty - all good. They don't appear to be sticking because they show empty after we dump. We drop the trailer off at the dealer where it's in a secure fenced area.

Today, we pick up the trailer and bring it home. I unhook and level. Check the tanks and the black tank says it's 2/3rds full. Odd, so I open the toilet drain and look in with a flash light. Sure enough, pretty full. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how it went from empty to 2/3rds full in 6 weeks of no use.

I also looked at the roof vent to make sure it's not somehow letting water in - nope looks good.

Anyone have any ideas?
Perhaps the boys at the dealership were using it
Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Those indicators are famous for false readings. Have you dumped again to see what comes out? Do you have a see through connector between the camper dump pipe and the sewer hose, so you can see the stuff coming out? Could you see it come out for sure? Maybe it was clogged? I had a clog one time on a Jayco, thought it was empty. Got home and went to clean more completely. I didn’t have a see through connector then. For some reason I had left the valve open when I left the campground and when I got home I saw drops of water dripping out, (had the cover snapped on). For some stupid reason I reached down and turned the cap to open; Yea, s**t covered my white tennis shoes. Last time I did that. I thought I had dumped but it had been clogged and broke loose I guess on the way home. Oh, it’s funny now.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Good possibility mikenannie. Dump thru a clear fitting would tell. Also maybe a tank cleaning jet leaking into it if it's more fresh water. Only other opening is the roof vent.
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Was there fresh water in the tank while in storage. If so, is THAT level lower now? Any possibility a homeless person was using the toilet?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
New Camper

The sensors inside the tank get coated with toilet paper and give false reading. I even tried using the toilet paper recommended by RV stockist. Have got used to it now, one day will buy and install a new sensor.
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sounds like your process of dumping and emptying your tanks is correct.
Do have a main power switch and do you turn it off?
If the toilet diaphragm allows for a leak, and the pump switch is on, you might be slowly filling the black tank with clean, pumped water.
If your sump valves were closed and seal properly as you indicate, you couldn’t have filled with gray water.
No other explanation except as noted above with others getting in to use.
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have heard of this before Someone at dealership is most likely doing it.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #9
New Camper

Do you have an outdoor Kitchen? If you do, the drain could drain into the black tank, it does on some models, it happened to a buddy we were camping with.
Sunset bar and grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, sewer