Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to Susan
Looking at a Sunset trail 32rl. 2014 I live in Va. so not much camping left for the season. Do you think the pricing would be better now or at a show? One show by camping world in Feb. in Va. and a couple in N.C. one by Route 66 dealers. Does anyone own one of these? Any thing I should be on the look out for? THANKS!!
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

They are clearing out units now. The shows I have been to never have had very good pricing.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I live in FRGB VA andpurchased a ST32RL back in July. Got it up in Grand Rapids MI. The RV company i went to was TerryTown RV. Saved almost 8k compaired to what i was able to find here in VA. Might want to check them out. Only down side is warranty work. Local dealer here said they would do the warranty work, but I would have to get behind their customers in line as they felt they should get priority since they purchased from local dealer. I can live with that. So if i needed something done in say June, it's likely wont get done very quickly but if i time it right and do my warranty work say in Feb then it shouldnt be a problem. I was on the way to Penn Statelast week for a game and the sway bar came loose from the hitch. Called TerryTown. They found local dealer in PA, cover the cost of repair 100%.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
Looking at a Sunset trail 32rl. 2014 Â*I live in Va. so not much camping left for the season. Â*Do you think the pricing would be better now or at a show? Â*One Â*show by camping world in Feb. in Va. and a couple in N.C. one by Route 66 dealers. Does anyone own one of these? Â*Any thing I should be on the look out for? Â*THANKS!!
If you're going to "kick the tires" shows are a lot of fun and you get to see a lot of different models and new accessories.

If you are thinking of buying it's a 2 day deal.

Start by lining up the financing you will need or get the checkbook ready.
Go on the first day, browse around and make notes on any models you are considering. Go home and do your internet research including best pricing. If the show prices are better or worse you can go from there. Either buying or haggling. Make note of options on the show models so you can compare apples to apples.

Of course one of them fancy new phones would let you do your internet research in real time (at the show) but I've found I like to wander around and look at all of them, then go back for a second look at the interesting ones, and then go back a third time to get serious. If the show is any size at all that's a chunk of the day right there without trying to look up the different models and pricing on the web.

Oh course if you find the one you really want, equipped the way you want, grab the phone and do the research real time and start haggling. Showing a salesman a better price sometimes works... Unless you're on the east coast and it's on the left coast....
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to Susan

I called and talked to Jared in Mi. Off the top he was 5,500 less than dealer around here and itdid not sound like that would be his last offer. He is 11 hours from me. He said warranty work should not be a problem because it was profitable for the store doing it. He also said this was the best time of year to buy. Thoughts?
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Susan, at a minimum that $5500 for the weekend to drive up there and get it.My weekend is worth $5500.My wife and i did just that. Costusone tank of gas to get there and about 1 1/2 coming back. One night in a hotel and one night at a camp ground. Total was less then $500.

Here is what we did. There is a campground about 5 miles from the dealer. We went up on thursday, did our walk through on Friday. Took ALL day (8 hours) as i when over every thing as i knew i wouldnt be bringing it back to them to get it fixed. Then spent friday night at the camp ground to really test out the unit. Was ready to bring it back on saturday morning to have them fix anything we found but everything was find. Drove back on saturday. Did all the negotiations over the phone. went and looked at the ones here so i knew what i wanted. Didnt really need to see the actual one i was getting. just did a good inspection.

hope that helps
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I drove 15 hours for mine and even crossed the border and imported the unit and saved $8,000. Well worth it in my opinion. We knew what we were dealing on and spent 3 hours with them for delivery and hauled it home. One nights hotel and about $350 in fuel. Total costs including fee to import was about $750. Left Thursday night - back Sunday Morning. Even had time for the wife and I to hit the outlet stores on Friday afternoon. (That cost isn't included in the above!!)
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I had mine delivered right to my door from over 2,000 miles away and still saved over $4K. Bought it from Wagner's who were $600 less than Terry Town.

http://www.wagnersrv.com/
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

We did it both ways...only saved a little at show. If they have it on the lot and u like it, get that one. Don't know if I would "order" one again.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We were going to wait until February for a show, but we went looking at retailers to get an idea. Went to Camping World (3rd Dealer visit) and millions of hours of online viewing. By that time we knew what we wanted and what we wanted to spend. I laid it all out not expecting him to meet us, surprise. They are storing for us until we pick up (March) among other things. So we bought our first travel trailer. I would suggest see some dealers, just tell then you are browsing until you find what you want. Then tell them what you want. They matched and then beat the lowest price we found.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Just bought a new st270bh. We ask the same question buy now or at a show. The way it was explained was the cost of the trailer may not be the same a few months down the road because of cost increase mainly in the materials. and if you have a trade in the value of it will go down. We done a lot of praying and as much research as we could and bit the bullet and brought it on home with us. As for the warranty work we got the same answer you can save a lot of money by buying in Ohio or some where closer to the manufacturer . But its the warranty work or even non warranty work you will probably be put behind their customers in any case. I helps you out.
tkinley8193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Congrats Travis. You are in our boat - the excitement of using your new camper will make this a long winter! At least in SC, it isn't as big of a problem!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Got a great pricein MI. Our dealer here in Canada matched it. I have also been told you have to pay MI state tax if you pick it up there. I was impressed with the show price. Really impressed
Wicky is offline   Reply With Quote