Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
New Camper

Hi everyone. My wife and I are looking at a 2007 ST23CK in pretty good condition. I had a couple of questions for the forum. One can anyone tell me their experiences with this trailer and also we are going to tow it with a Toyota Tacoma V6 with Tow Package. Our Tacoma manual says we can tow 6500lbs and the dry weight on the ST23CK is 4850 anyone care to give me some advice?

Thanks
BRETT
Brettk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 958px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr ="msgOddTableRow" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; height: 200px; min-height: 200px; "><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider" style="border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-bottom-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-left-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; "><div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 809px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">Go by GVWR of the TT, NOT the dry weight.
This should be posted somewhere on the rig and calculate 15% of TTs GVWR for tongue weight.<div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 809px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">
<div ="msg" style="width: 809px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; "><b style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; ">Determine your payload[/b]</span>
Look at your door sticker and see what your starting payload is. From this number you need to subtract the weight of all occupants, gear and a full tank of fuel.</span><b style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.4; ">This will be your available payload[/b]. Your tongue weight will also come off your payload.</span>

Another way to figure out payload is to go weigh your TV fully loaded w/ occupants and any gear you would put in it while towing as well as a full tank of fuel. Subtract this number from the tv's gvwr to get your payload.</span>

http://www.campinglife.com/tow-ratings-database/

RR</span>
</td></tr></t></table></span>
Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
New Camper

we have that model. Like it a lot. Only problem that we ever had was water coming in over the rear bed. Dealer did a modififcation for us that solved the issue

2007 Sunset Trail ST23CK

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
klshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Welcome. I think you are going to find yourself wanting more power to tow that trailer. I am not sure ofthe specs for your TV but I did find some specs for the trailer you are looking at. It has a dry weight of 4859, a CCC of 2018 lbs, and a GVWR of 7565 lbs. It is 26'8" long. This is going to be a bit much for a tacoma. Go look at the sticker inside your drivers side door. It will list a payload (or max cargo and occupants should not exceed x lbs). From that number you need to subtract the weight of occupants and cargo. This will give you an available payload #. Your tongue weight of the TT needs to be less than this number. To figure out an actual tongue weight as dry tongue weight is a useless #, you need to figure on 13-15% of loaded trailer weight. You can either use the trailers GVWR as you won't exceed that or make an average guesstimate. Using trailers GVWR of 7565 lbs x 15%= 1134 lbs for absolute worse case scenario. Or you can go with the average camper loads 1000-1500 lbs into a trailer. UVW 4859 lbs + 1000 lbs= 5859 lbs loaded weight. 5859 lbs x 15= 878 lbs. Can your tacoma absorb this weight? You do not want to be at the very top of your tow vehicles specs or you will struggle on the hills going up and down. Trust me, I have been there before I upgraded to the TV in my signature. White knuckling it as a semi passes you or even a mini van passes you is no fun. Not knowing if you are going to make it to the bottom of a mountain in one piece is absolutely terrifying. I hate to say it but I think you need to look for a different lighter trailer or a heavier tow vehicle. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote