Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question by-passing the dealer for warranty

Howdy all. Has anyone had any luck by-passing the dealer for warranty work? Our 2016 30RK is at the dealer for the second time trying to get a handful of warranty items fixed. We all know the basic fact of dealers doing poor work and taking months to complete jobs. There is a terrific mobile repair guy in my area who is honest and talented. For many of the manufacturers he is approved/certified to do warranty work. We called him after our first unsuccessful trip to the dealer to see if he could help us. He called Crossroads direct and they told him we had to go to the dealer for warranty work.

My question is: If I call Crossroads myself and tell them how bad the dealer is and BEG/DEMAND them to let this guy work on my trailer, will they cave? Has anyone else talked to Crossroads direct in an attempt to by-pass the dealer?

Luckily I am fairly skilled mechanically and will fix many of the items myself, but what good is a warranty for if the dealer can't/won't fix things and Crossroads won't let me take it to someone who will?

Thanks everyone!
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I can't speak about CR warranty service (yet) but, in my other RVs, I would contact the manufacturer directly and request the use of a mobile technician. Get the work authorization and provide that information to the mobile tech who will then coordinate for parts and reimbursement.

I've never had a problem getting the manufacturer to approve this request, especially if you are a distance away from the dealer or, for whatever reason, it is impractical to move the unit to the dealer for repairs.

You'll probably have to pay a service charge to the mobile tech though.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVillines View Post

My question is: If I call Crossroads myself and tell them how bad the dealer is and BEG/DEMAND them to let this guy work on my trailer, will they cave? Has anyone else talked to Crossroads direct in an attempt to by-pass the dealer?

Thanks everyone!
I think if it was me, I would call CR and explain the situation and ask if these warranty issues could handled by this other repair person.

Now, if you notice, I stated ask, not demand.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd. Our trailer is "supposed" to be done here soon. If the dealer neglects to fix anything again, I will politely ask CR for another option. I'm still a little shocked how many things were wrong with our brand-new trailer and a dealer who didn't fix a single line item the first time we took it in. I can't imaging we will be the only CR owner who has had a problem with this dealer. Maybe I will get lucky and they grant my request!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

I too am a pretty good shade tree mechanic. In early 2014 I had good luck with getting Crossroads to send me the parts under warranty and I installed them myself. It was a win -win in that they did not have to pay labor and I did not have to deal with a dealer - most of whom I view as incompetent or plain crooked. I was a happy camper. Lyn Duggins was the customer service representative I felt with but don't know if he is still around. However, if you read more recent posts you will see that more recently folks are getting less service and accomodation from Crossroads for some reason. They refuse to hold poor dealers accountable.

Hang in there. Once you are past the purchasing and warranty nightmares, RVing will be some of the best times you can have.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I've dealt directly with CR on several occasions, not because the dealer was terribly incapable, but it was just faster and/or a major issue. One time on the road, I was closer to the factory than the dealer, so it was a no brainer to call CR direct. Another time, the RV was our temporary home and couldn't be moved to the dealer, so CR agreed to a mobile tech. But I had to pay the tech and then get reimbursed from CR.

On the '04 Cruiser, CR arranged for a Lippert mobile tech to come to my home and make repairs in the drive way. And on this Cruiser, CR arranged for my dealer to prep the unit and sent a Lippert mobile tech to make repairs at the dealer.

In all these cases, I used a combination of phone calls and emails to accomplish what was needed. Sending pictures to CR/Lippert also helped. In 12 yrs, my CR units have never been at a dealer for more than a week at a time.

So, if you are having problems with the dealer I suggest calling CR, but get email contacts as well, phone calls can be too emotional. Then send emails with pics and copy the dealer as well, keep everything polite and clear cut. Sometimes dealers have a hard time getting support from CR and your communications with the factory and them will assist them in getting the job done right and faster.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
I asked this same question and got a response to call the dealer. I have an LED light that no longer works and a front porch like that no longer works. I would almost rather do the repair myself then have to take it 45 mins to the dealer, wait a week or two, and then get it back.

Let me know if you have any luck. I also have the customer service number as well.

Customer Service : 855-226-7496
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I agree with Larry's comments. In the past when warranty work was required on our trailer I always worked with the dealer and CrossRoads to make sure that things got done on a timely basis. Having a relationship with someone at the factory helps to speed up repairs. Although the dealer may be working on your unit if he doesn't get the parts in a timely manner or approval from CrossRoads is slow in coming it helps to have some one at the factory that you can talk to so that things continue to move smoothly. There also have been instances where CrossRoads shipped repair items directly to me and I installed them myself. A win-win situation for the both of us.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for the responses. I'm glad to see some of you have had luck getting parts directly from CR. My game plan from now on will be to call them directly first. Luckily, I only live 15-20 minutes away from my dealer. The problem wasn't the wait time, but the work. They never called me to tell me it was done. I stopped in and had to ask. On our next trip I had realized they didn't fix anything. They tried, but looks like they just gave up. It's there now, so I have my fingers crossed! I've got a pretty lengthy list of modifications going that should fix some of the design flaws. I can't wait to get my TT back and start tinkering! I'll make sure I post some pictures of my work. I have a feeling some of the other Sunset Trail folks are dealing with the same issues. Thank you again for your advice! I see many of you are from Texas! I would love to visit your state some time. I've been told I would fit in there better than I do in California. Cheers!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowler304 View Post
I asked this same question and got a response to call the dealer. I have an LED light that no longer works and a front porch light that no longer works either. I would almost rather do the repair myself then have to take it 45 mins to the dealer, wait a week or two, and then get it back.

Let me know if you have any luck. I also have the customer service number as well.

Customer Service : 855-226-7496
So I called the number, got an email, sent the information regarding the light and the have asked for a mailing address and shipping the parts. I am a happy camper and I don't have to wait for the dealer to do it or the two week time frame either.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Site Team

Good deal!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Our dealer was 2 hour drive away, so called crossroads with problems, they told me who I could call that was close to us,I called the dealer and told them who to call at crossroads and all problems were taken care of. Worked out great.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thumbs down

Crossroads was well aware of the problems we had with our local dealer. We offered to make the 4hr (each way) trip to have our problems addressed by the next closest CR dealer and they said we had to get the warranty work done where we bought the unit. Having said that, they did send some warranty parts directly to us but we were responsible for installation.
HappyValleyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyValleyGoose View Post
Crossroads was well aware of the problems we had with our local dealer. We offered to make the 4hr (each way) trip to have our problems addressed by the next closest CR dealer and they said we had to get the warranty work done where we bought the unit. Having said that, they did send some warranty parts directly to us but we were responsible for installation.

That's funny that Crossroads said you couldn't go to another authorized Crossroads repair shop. I know of others that actually received addresses of other authorized repair shops in the owners area and were not required to go to the original dealer. In fact, I'm one of them.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I just want to give a shout out, I called the service line and they sent me the needed parts to my house. I have installed and they are working great. I am very satisfied with crossroads at this time.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #16
Site Team

That's good news!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles