Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Anyone experience this? We went out for our first trip of the season. It has been really mild in the Pacific Northwest this year so we could resist.

While we were out we noticed that most of the retangle cabinet doors were coming apart. Upon close inspection I see that there are small nails or brad put in the joints but they came apart.

So I bought some waterproof wood glue and compressed then back. Seems to be working on the first seam I did last night. Now only 6 more seams to go.

Pete

2008 ST29FK

My other vehicle is an aircraft carrier!!!
pscole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have one that has done that but none of the others. Not sure what causes it but it could be the wood drying out. I would try the same fix as you did. Some members called CR and their defective doors were replaced. Are you stillin warrantee?.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

On my 2009 Seville on our first major trip, we experienced several doors breaking apart on rough roads (Interstate thru Montana). The joints slid apart as if they were never glues. The silicone seal used to hold the glass panels in place must have hardened before it ever bonded with the wood frames. CrossRoads replaced all on warranty. Also had ribbing on dinette chairs fall off during transit = poorly made.

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Think I'm over my warranty now. No problem, if all else falls. I'll just use duck tape.... Yeah right. We did go on a 5K mile road trip over the summer, so that may account for some of the looseness, but it does seem like the wood dried up some. I'd agree that even though our trailers are very nice, the cheapest method to get the job done is probably part of the blame too.

2008 ST29FK

Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I can't believe this has been going on for 2 years now. This were it woulod be nice to get to the old arcives, that is where this was brought up before. Can't be it happens enough to fix the problem.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

CWIT, not sure what you are talking about but we only notice this over the 3 months that the trailer sat.

Are you talking about achives of the website?

Pete

2008 ST29FK

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sorry I messed up some words. This has been an ungoing problem for over 2 years. You would of thought they would of fixed it by now. WE used to be able to do a search in the old Crossroads forum for information.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We have had the same issue with ours each winter. We are also in the PNW. The first winter the RV place we bought it from repaired them under warranty it was only a few of them. Then the second winter same issue only worse. We did get crossroads to send us new cabinet doors. But the RV place would not honor it and said they would install them, but charge us. By the time they arrived were 2 days out from leaving for 3 week trip. So we already repaired what we could and used Duct tape to hold them shut in transit. By the time we were back from the trip..we opted to just store the new ones. We only had a handful of weekend trips planned for the remainder of the season.
So just went down today to start getting it ready and noticed the same thing..that they are trying to split and in some places they are splitting in the wood.
We do have new ones to get installed for this season.
We did have go directly to crossroads to get them replaced. We got in touch with someone and emailed them pictures of what had happened. The dealership was surprised we were able to get replacements.
Now that the dealership is no longer in the RV business..I have no idea where the closest crossroads dealer is.

jemek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Well I ended up regluing them with some waterproof glue. I re-installed them yesterday. Our next trip isn't for another month so we'll see how they hold up then..

2008 ST29FK

Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I had pictures up here last year..that may have been on the old forum.

We have opted to repair the doors again. Save the new ones for when we get ready to trade/sell this one...in 2012/13ish. We will be down to 2 kids by that time and plan on getting a 5th Wheel.

What is odd..is at least in ours it is only the upper cabinets. The lower ones and the bedroom ones have never had this issue.

I do know that when we ordered the replacement ones, we were told by Crossroads they had to special order them, as they no longer used that cabinet maker. So maybe 2008 was the last year with the problem cabinets.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

it was only the upper rectangle shape doors... none of the other have or had this problem..

2008 ST29FK

Old 02-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscole
it was only the upper rectangle shape doors... none of the other have or had this problem..

Hi -

We just picked up our 2010 Sunset Trail UL ST27FB from Wana RV Center in Shipshewana, IN. On the way back, a metal colander hit one of the glass cabinets above our dinette and glass flew everywhere (which would not be covered by the warranty). We will need to order another one. We thought we'd call Wana RV Center and order one. We also took the extended warranty and live in Belfair, WA. If we need to repair anydefects some time in the future, where do you take your TT?

Thanks.

iuki

iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

iuki, we take ours to Clear Creek RV center in silverdale. That's where we bought it from.

Glad to see another local on here. Hope this helps..

Pete

2008 ST29FK

Old 03-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

The place where we bought ours went out of business...not that I would have returned to them anyhow. Hopeful if we have to get warranty work done that we can work out to get it done locally at the RV repair shop. They repair them..and do not sell them.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscole
iuki, we take ours to Clear Creek RV center in silverdale. That's where we bought it from.

Glad to see another local on here. Hope this helps..

Pete

We bought ours from Indiana because there are so few dealers in the PNW that carry Crossroads RVs. We only saw park models by Crossroads at Clear Creek when we were researching to buy our Sunset Trail TT. Wana RV in Indiana had the best price. I'm glad that you are happy with the service by Clear Creek. HopefullyClear Creek RV Center will be willing to do repairs covered under warranty byCrossroads.

I was also happy to see someone from the area here.

Thanks.

iuki

Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

We also had an issue with an broken overhead cabinet door. We contacted crossroads service directly and they sent us new glass to our home address, the cost was minimal. Talk to Andie she will be able to help you out.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

This Happened to me too over the winter. It looks like a Washington thing. Mine is still under warranty. I bought it at Clearcreek RV as well, should i go through them or call Crossroads?
SCOT30BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

You would probably get faster service dealing with crossroads. Not that clearcreek is bad, they would just be a middle man. Just a though.

Pete

2008 ST29FK

Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I agree that it's better to deal directly with Crossroads. The prices at Clear Creek are quite high for anything you purchase there. By the way, I originally thought the glass that broke on the cabinet door above our dinette was because something had hit it. However, it turned out that the glass was not glued properly. My husband replaced it and it is good as new.

iuki

Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I would call crossroads directly. We originally went through the dealer, the first winter they repaired them. The second winter it was worse. So then they said they would not be covered under the warranty and they could not get replacement ones so they would just fix them again. I did not accept that and we went straight to crossroads. They did have to custom order them, as they were no longer using that same company. We did repair them the best we could, as the new ones from crossroads arrived just days before our trip and the dealer was going to charge us to install them.