Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Cable coax input on 291RK?

Just picked up our 291RK on Thursday (post with pics coming soon), and I have a question on the coax cable input that the dealer couldn't answer. There's a coax output on the side near the 115v AC power sockets for if you want to set up an outside TV, and the coax input is on the rear by the power input. My question is - there are 2 coax inputs there, and neither is labeled. The antenna is on the roof, and is wired through there, so it's not for that. The coax port for the TV in the living room has two coax sockets which ARE labeled, as antenna and satellite, so I'm assuming the satellite line goes to one of the two ports in the rear...the bedroom has a single unlabeled coax, and I assumed that it was for the second coax port in the back, but with the TV plugged into the coax in the ceiling, I was able to scan and pull down all the digital air channels...so either the signal was strong enough that the TV picked it up without an external antenna, or that coax also goes to the antenna. Can anyone shed some light on this?
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Historically (unless they have changed the routing in the newer models) the satellite input goes to the booster and to the entertainment center only. The cable input goes to the booster and is then routed to the bedroom and outside TV connection. The antenna signal comes from the antenna to the booster and from the booster goes to the bedroom and outside TV connection. When using cable from the campground leave the booster OFF. When using over the air signals from the antenna leave the booster ON. The sat/cable input (near your power in plug) should be labeled but very difficult to read without a flashlight.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Historically (unless they have changed the routing in the newer models) the satellite input goes to the booster and to the entertainment center only. The cable input goes to the booster and is then routed to the bedroom and outside TV connection. The antenna signal comes from the antenna to the booster and from the booster goes to the bedroom and outside TV connection. When using cable from the campground leave the booster OFF. When using over the air signals from the antenna leave the booster ON. The sat/cable input (near your power in plug) should be labeled but very difficult to read without a flashlight.
So the entertainment center should get all 3 signals, and the bedroom/outside should only get over-the-air and cable? I don't know that I'm following...and in the case where more than one signal is going to one place, does the booster act as an A/B switch, so while the booster is on it's over-the-air, and while it's off it's taking feed from the satellite line on the back of the RV?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Close...while the sat line goes to the booster, it is directly connected to the ent center coax connection without any affect from the booster. Both the cable and antenna inputs connect to the booster and the booster will amplify both signals but if you do this the cable signal (which is already amplified from the source) will be over-amplified. That's why you don't want the booster ON when watching cable. The antenna signal can be watched on the TV without boost IF the signal is strong enough but generally it is not. I automatically turn it on whenever watching TV off the antenna. (I seem to remember reading something about the booster powering the antenna amplifier at the base of the antenna but not positive about this).

Yes the ent center gets all three signals and the bedroom/outside TV only gets two. You would not normally watch cable in one room and Over the air in the other but if you did I believe the TV would work OK as you need to set the TV to either cable OR antenna and then leave the booster OFF.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Close...while the sat line goes to the booster, it is directly connected to the ent center coax connection without any affect from the booster. Both the cable and antenna inputs connect to the booster and the booster will amplify both signals but if you do this the cable signal (which is already amplified from the source) will be over-amplified. That's why you don't want the booster ON when watching cable. The antenna signal can be watched on the TV without boost IF the signal is strong enough but generally it is not. I automatically turn it on whenever watching TV off the antenna. (I seem to remember reading something about the booster powering the antenna amplifier at the base of the antenna but not positive about this).

Yes the ent center gets all three signals and the bedroom/outside TV only gets two. You would not normally watch cable in one room and Over the air in the other but if you did I believe the TV would work OK as you need to set the TV to either cable OR antenna and then leave the booster OFF.
Got it, makes sense now. Thanks, Stan! Another RV mystery solved!