Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #21
New Camper

Just got back from a trip and our 2012 28bh is fading badly. It's actually quite embarrassing.
Waylonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Ours was re-painted under warranty by Cross Roads. So, far, the paint is holding up well.

Don
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

After painting looks really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ready to go.jpg (298.4 KB, 21 views)

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #24
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Here is a picture of our rig re-painted:

Don
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #25
Site Team

Some Gel Coat facts.

1. Gel coat is a specially formulated polyester resin that is applied on the mold face.
  2. Traditional gel coats used in composites are pigmented ambient-cure polyester resins, formulated to use as the coating in open molding.
  3. gel coats are made to provide a durable yet attractive finish to composite products while also guarding them against wear and tear.
  4. Gel coat is a porous surface that will eventually oxidize. and cause the surface to fade and and become chalky.
  5. A polyurethane paint provides a hardened UV resistant surface
  6. Gel coat is usually not top coated with a clear coat of paint
  7. A painted cap will usually not fade, chalk or oxidize. It will withstand the environment much longer than Gel coat.
So when someone says they are getting their gel coat repainted they are not. It was never painted in the first place.
But painting the cap is the best repair you can do to a fading gel coat cap.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #26
Site Team

I agree with you Mark. I just have one update to add---
When I was a young whipper snapper, I worked in a boat factory for a short while. The gel coat was tinted (color of choice). Then it was applied into a very well waxed mold.(so the boat came out easier) Then the cloth went in. rolled and brushed using resin. Then numerous layers of matte. Brushed and rolled in again using resin. (matte was used for strength)
So the gel coat does have a paint in it to begin with. Anyway it did back then.

Actually, after thinking about it, I don't believe it was called paint. It was called "pigment", but it came in many colors.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

So basicly what you are saying here is being the whole camper outside surface is Gel Coat, for the best protection you should have the whole camper painted.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
Site Team

Yup, all gel coat will eventually oxidize, UNLESS, you keep it protected every year with a good coat of sealant. (you know I like Rejex). Look at some of the other older Rv's next time you're camping. You will most likely see an oxidized surface in it was not taken care of. I think it's all based on how much time the owner wants to put into taking care of the outside of the rv. It does take a lot of time and effort.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

older white front ends did oxidize , but you could always buff it out ....dark fronts like dark boats will fade no matter how much you try to keep it up. I have had blue ,brown and red gelcoat boats and they eventually will fade. most companys have problems with dark colours (colors)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
So basicly what you are saying here is being the whole camper outside surface is Gel Coat, for the best protection you should have the whole camper painted.
Tommy, not all rigs come with a gel coat exterior. I had to order mine that way. They use come standard with what was called -- filon I think it was called. Now, whether they have changed and everything is gel coat, I don't know.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #31
Site Team

Actually, Filon is gel coated also. There is different types of gel coats. From the Crane website (manufacturer of filon)
Quote:
EXTERIOR SIDEWALLS

Panels for the RV Industry

Crane Composites exterior sidewall panels are specifically engineered to provide unsurpassed performance against weathering. Composed of thermoset polyester resin and chopped fiberglass strands, Crane Composites RV sidewall panels are superior in both appearance and durability versus any other type of product. The exclusive Crane Composites gel-coat surface is highly scratch and abrasion resistant, adding years of life to an RV. Crane Composites exterior sidewall panels and finishes come in a variety of thicknesses, colors and sizes. Choose from one of our Genuine Crane Fiberglass panels.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #32
Site Team

I should have explained further. Yes, filon is a gel coat also. It just doesn't have the same smooth finish to it. If you look closely at a unit with filon sidewalls, you will see the cloth showing thru the gel coat. Kind of a small checker board pattern. Not as smooth as what is called a gel coat finish.
I don't know for sure, but I think there probably is more gel coat sprayed into the mold before the cloth is put down. There for you end up with a smoother glossier finish, and one that not only looks better, it's also easier to keep up.
When we ordered our rig it came standard with the filon finish. I talked to them about seeing if the gel coat could be ordered instead. The factory agreed to it, and for an extra $450 we have the gel coat.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #33
Site Team

There definitely different levels of Filon with gel coat. When I went back to their website I saw 3 different levels, low gloss, medium and of course high gloss. Each came with a different price of course.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #34
Full Time Camper

I guess I am going to have to call CR to find out what my campers exterior is made of, and how I need to protect it...Just been using wax up to this point....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #35
Site Team

Tommy, no worry. As long as you're using something on your rv is the main point. I don't like wax. I prefer a polymer coating like the Rejex I use. Wax is bad on decals also. Here's a link to view on that subject. Custom RV Decals replaced & removed, Prescott Az - DOES WAX HURT RV decals - ,

Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #36
New Camper

faded cap

Our cr cruiser looked awful. We bought it in 2013 Oct, then this yr noticed all the color gone. Called cr and they said take to dealer for them to see it and get pre authorized. So we took it to camping world and after two wks cr approved for them to sand and repaint our trailor. camping world told us its that cr mixes there paint and gel coat and the sun then causes the fade like the color runs off. they will do ours like when a car is painted. takes 6 wks to get decals in. So when its done we will go pick it up use it then take it back for the rest.sure hope it looks good. I am happy that Crossroads is paying for it.
pamgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #37
Weekend Camper

I had many posts in another string about fading front cap.

Ours started fading after the 1 year warranty ran out and CR didn't budge on making good on ours.

We are leaving ours as is, looks terrible. It is bad advertising for CR.

From tent camping to 2013 - Sunset Trail Reserve 32 Bunk House
Crobyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #38
Site Team

Crossroads is not the only Manufacturer with faded caps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fade.pdf (379.7 KB, 29 views)

Old 06-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #39
Site Team

I wonder how many of them are getting repainted after the warranty expires?
Old 06-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #40
Weekend Camper

The front cap of my 2012 Sunset Trail faded so badly that I planned on having it repainted. A friend of mine that has a paint and body shop tried buffing it out first using a high speed buffer and a gel wax and the end result is amazing.

I wish I had before pics to compare to the after.

I swear from how good it turend out that he lied to me and painted it, but nope just a good buffing.

Now the question is how long will it last?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2012 Sunset Trail 290QBS
2014 Nissan Armada Platinum Reserve Package
JBE-dad is offline   Reply With Quote