Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Chocolate Brown front cap

We purchased a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB last fall. I've seen a lot of posts about oxidation on this type of cap. I wondered if this was a huge problem or just a problem on a few vehicles. I hope it isn't a problem we'll have to deal with in the future. Surely, not all chocolate brown caps have issues.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Just keep an eye on it. As soon as it starts to change to a very lite brown instead of chocolate brown from the top down, you will know. Crossroads says it is the manufacturer they got the caps from.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sle1995 View Post
Just keep an eye on it. As soon as it starts to change to a very lite brown instead of chocolate brown from the top down, you will know. Crossroads says it is the manufacturer they got the caps from.
Well I don't know for sure but I think I may have to deal with this. I was pulling in to driveway the other day and thought I noticed maybe some haziness in the upper right corner. Hoping it was the way the light was hitting it. I hope not but will give a closer inspection in a few days.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Well I don't know for sure but I think I may have to deal with this. I was pulling in to driveway the other day and thought I noticed maybe some haziness in the upper right corner. Hoping it was the way the light was hitting it. I hope not but will give a closer inspection in a few days.

That is how it started for us, and then like the plague, it continued to spread down and across the front towards the graphics. I took pictures and sent it to the dealer and they sent to Crossroads and got the repair approved, but that was during prime camping season, so I planned to take it to them after Thanksgiving and they pushed it back until after the 1st of the year, but I am supposed to get it back this week as we had some other things as well that needed to be fixed. Can't camp much for another month anyway, so should get it back just in time.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
I own a 2013 CR Sunset Trail 32RL 5th wheel. Bought in October 2013. The brown nose cap across the trailer has already started to oxidize, even after having a protective coating applied at the time we purchased the trailer. The rest of the trailer looks great, the top of the nose - not so good. I'm planing to take it back to the dealer in April and let them figure out how to deal with it with Cross Roads. Here are a couple of pics for those curious to see what we are all talking about:

2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

That is what ours looked like. There is another thread where we talked about Crossroads saying that the company they got the caps from did not use "Marine" grade paint. The people that have had caps repainted have had good luck with them lasting longer as far as I know. Just make sure you get it fixed before your warrant runs out.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
Old 03-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I was on the roof of my unit today to place some plastic over the seam where the rubber roofing and front cap meet. There is a trim strip of some sort screwed on at this joint and what I found on mine is the roofing material does NOT extend under the strip. A large bead of Dicor sealant was applied, but that stuff tends to dry out and crack. I found water in both wardrobe closets and in the pass through. Will make actual repair when (if?) the weather breaks. Why I am posting here is while I was on the roof, I ran my hand across the chalking looking "brown" paint, gel coat, whatever is is supposed to be and I am posting a picture of what my hand looked like. NO, that is not dirt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (153.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.jpg (233.9 KB, 25 views)

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
New Camper

Well I have a 2014 sunset trailer reserve st 28h with the same problem (oxidation on the front cap). I also called that they told me that they couldn't do anything also since i missed the warranty date by a week. So if anyone has a good way to fix the cap please send me a reply. Im going to call again to see if the can explain why so many are having the same problem.
garciamfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Here's a doit yourself product. Never needed to use it but has good reviews
Products To Restore and Protect Oxidized Surfaces

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I had dealer note mine was starting to fade before warranty ran out. It was repainted by an automotive shop. Looks good. I think a week out of warranty is BS! It did not fade in a week.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 05-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
New Camper

Yeah, that's was what i was thinking!!!! So I'm calling back tomorrow and question the heck out of them and maybe I'll feel a little better that I had a chance to given them a piece of my mind to them.. but i know they don't give a ****...I did notice that the 2015 have a cream color front cap...
Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

A couple of weeks ago I washed and waxed my front cap...The upper part of the cap where it meets the rubber roof is fading (brown)...I am out of warranty...Not even gonna call CR, gonna drive it around like that...Not really crazy about the new color scheme any how (DW likes it)...I like the old colors, blue, red, gold, white cap, much better....When it gets bad enough were I can't stand it, I'll bring it to my auto body guy and have it sprayed white....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciamfd View Post
Yeah, that's was what i was thinking!!!! So I'm calling back tomorrow and question the heck out of them and maybe I'll feel a little better that I had a chance to given them a piece of my mind to them.. but i know they don't give a ****...I did notice that the 2015 have a cream color front cap...
Be firm but pleasant. Dealer should be able to get that done. If not, ask them for a contact at CR. That may get it done. Plenty of contacts on this forum. Good luck.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I called Crossroads directly and they serviced my trailer a couple weeks out of warranty. I had to take the trailer to them though.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

We have a 2012 and had the front cap painted by an auto-body shop last year and it looks really nice, decided to leave the graphics off and feel it looks better. We have friends who liked our trailer so much they bought their own, same model but 2013, their trailer front cap looked much worse than ours but faces South when parked, they also had the same body-shop paint theirs. We were both out of warranty so had to take care of it ourselves. I did not like the extra expense and can tell from the newer models, they are using the cream/tan colored caps so must have had to change due to how noticeable the oxidiation shows up on dark colors, figure it will happen eventually to the cream/tan caps but won't be as noticeable.
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
they are using the cream/tan colored caps so must have had to change due to how noticeable the oxidiation shows up on dark colors, figure it will happen eventually to the cream/tan caps but won't be as noticeable.
I think it had more to do with how those affected where prepped and painted.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
We have a 2012 and had the front cap painted by an auto-body shop last year and it looks really nice, decided to leave the graphics off and feel it looks better. We have friends who liked our trailer so much they bought their own, same model but 2013, their trailer front cap looked much worse than ours but faces South when parked, they also had the same body-shop paint theirs. We were both out of warranty so had to take care of it ourselves. I did not like the extra expense and can tell from the newer models, they are using the cream/tan colored caps so must have had to change due to how noticeable the oxidiation shows up on dark colors, figure it will happen eventually to the cream/tan caps but won't be as noticeable.
How much did it cost too repaint
Old 05-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

We have a 2013 Sunset Trail 26RB. We bought our's at the end of 2013. We still see no sign of fading of the brown front cap. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #19
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
I own a 2013 CR Sunset Trail 32RL 5th wheel. Bought in October 2013. The brown nose cap across the trailer has already started to oxidize, even after having a protective coating applied at the time we purchased the trailer. The rest of the trailer looks great, the top of the nose - not so good. I'm planing to take it back to the dealer in April and let them figure out how to deal with it with Cross Roads. Here are a couple of pics for those curious to see what we are all talking about:

Our 2013 Crossroad cruiser looks the same. We tried cleaning waxing but it comes back. Other people have said it spreads and it does like crazy. Hate it the rest of fifth wheel look great then this makes the whole thing look awful. We bought our in Oct 2013 only used it last summer. CR needs to change what their using on the campers. So sad it looks like this.
pamgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

You would think under warranty or not that CR wouldn't want their rigs running around looking like that!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4