Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
New Camper

I am in the processing of purchasing a new 2014 32BH. The local Sunset Trail retailer just received a new one from the manufacturer, and when I went to look at it, I was shocked that the front cap is a light cream color (matching the body of the camper) rather than the dark brown. Has anyone else seen this? Is this Crossroads' answer to the oxidation problems that many have experienced? When I look at the official Sunset Trail webpage, their image gallery still shows the dark brown front cap, so I'm a bit befuddled/confused.

I actually like the appearance of the dark brown a bit more than the cream, but if it will avoid the oxidation issues, I'm willing to accept it.

Edited by: BrianHSV
BrianHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would suspect that this is a 2014 and they have chanhged that color for that reason..They are not the only Manufacture having trouble with the Dark Brown paint
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I picked up my 2014 backon July 26th (ST32RL) and it had just came off the line one week before and it had a brown front, so this must bemid year change.

Scott
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
New Camper

It is definitely a 2014, but I have seen other 2014's and (as randelsclan stated) they had the brown front. This is the first that I have seen with the cream (champagne?) color on the front cap. I love the camper, but I have this weird guinea pig feeling.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHSV
I love the camper, but I have this weird guinea pig feeling.
That is the same feeling a lot of other people that are purchasing a CR unit have.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
New Camper

Well, I answered my own question. I called Crossroads, and I was told that they made this switch "very recently". So, it looks like I'll be purchasing one of the first campers they've produced with this color scheme.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Buy some brown paint
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
New Camper

No thanks... I only like the brown slightly more. Definitely not enough to warrant unnecessary manual labor.

Edited by: BrianHSV
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

i wonder if someone were toneedwarranty work done on the frontand the capneeds to be replaced if they would replace it with the ligher coler???? since its suppose to be the "fix".

Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by randelsclan

i wonder if someone were toneedwarranty work done on the frontand the capneeds to be replaced if they would replace it with the ligher coler???? since its suppose to be the "fix".
I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a "fix" or simply a cosmetic change. The CR rep that I spoke with said they already had a fix for the fading independent of this change.

I pick up the camper next week. If I have some time, I'll swing by the dealership and take some pics for everyone to see the new look.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Saw one a couple weeks ago while looking online, definitely like the dark better and would probably special order one instead of cream. I'm sure they would do it.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Most manufacturers make significant changes this time of year, they are all trying to have something new and different just prior to the Hershey RV show. And changes this time of year do not match with the model year assignment. Changing color of the front cap is actually a pretty minor change. During the 2011 model year, the Cruiser fifth wheel line changed front cap design and actual frame design. Units built earlier had the front cap design that CR had used for many years. Units built after this point in the calendar, had the new design that is currently in production. But both carry the 2011 model year designation.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

This is probably more common than what we think. Mine is a 2013 ST25RB and so is Beamers but mine has the fiberglass wrap around front cap but looks like his doesn't wrap around and has the addition of the diamond plate rock shield. Is this right Beamer? I did notice that on your sig yours is a Super Lite? Is there a difference?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Yes, the Superlites don't have the front cap and a few other differences in the interior. Mine is about 500lbs lighter or so.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Most manufacturers make significant changes this time of year, they are all trying to have something new and different just prior to the Hershey RV show. And changes this time of year do not match with the model year assignment. Changing color of the front cap is actually a pretty minor change. During the 2011 model year, the Cruiser fifth wheel line changed front cap design and actual frame design. Units built earlier had the front cap design that CR had used for many years. Units built after this point in the calendar, had the new design that is currently in production. But both carry the 2011 model year designation.
Indeed, I believe there are other changes based on my conversation with the CR rep, because he said that if the one I'm purchasing had the new cap color, then I would be getting all of the latest updates and improvements (not sure if that's a good thing or not). As I looked at the camper, I didn't immediately notice any other changes, but I really don't have a good point of reference for the previous 2014s.

I'm hoping that the new cap keeps the camper a tad bit cooler, but I'm REALLY hoping that fading is less of an issue. Even if the same fading occurs, it should be less apparent on the lighter color (I hope).
Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

This is not a Reserve model. There is a differnce.
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer5
Yes, the Superlites don't have the front cap and a few other differences in the interior. Mine is about 500lbs lighter or so.
I checked it out on the website. It looks identical on the inside except for the bathroom. I like your bath better.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer5
I checked it out on the website. It looks identical on the inside except for the bathroom. I like your bath better.

Thanks! Yes with a 3 year old we like the bath much better. But we don't have the fireplace or solid surface counters. I really didn't want the front cap although I like the way it looks better I just see way too many fading. Also with the 1/2 ton weight was a major factor. Oh and the price was less as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy666
This is not a Reserve model. There is a differnce.
If you're addressing my original post regarding the camper with the cream front, it is most definitely a Reserve model.