Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
New Camper

Good morning, I have a sunset trail reserve 28bh. If I store this camper, upon return my battery is always dead. I can clearly see things running like smoke/fire/gas getector and would like to know if I'm missing something obvious? Have you guys installed battery disconnects or should I close all the breakers when storing?

Thanks!
Waylonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Yes there will be SOME drain and yes some people do put disconnects inline. Unless they changed the breaker/fuse box the breakers are for 110v only. I've found the best bet is to go camping more often and not let it sit for more than 2 weeks at a time.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

there is a parasitic draw if you leave the battery connected. Since we have not found a battery disconnect that fits in our box, we disconnect one side of the battery after every trip. for the winter we bring the battery into the garage and will trickle charge as needed.Also keep an eye on the distilled water in the battery, you don't want this going dry. We check it periodically.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

A marine type battery disconnect switch mounted above the battery with a 2 ft. battery extension cable works great. There are plenty of parasitic battery loads, too many to bother with pulling all of the 12v fuses. Edited by: Dayle1

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

When I had my motorhomes and was towing a vehicle, I saw a lot of folks that towed a car with the ignition switch on. This unlocked the steering and they had issues with battery drain. There is a company that makes an inexpensive solar panel that sat on the dash of the towed vehicle and plugged into the cigarette lighter plug. It kept the battery up. Might this be an idea to use for campers? We could cut off the cigarette lighter plug and use the two wires to connect to the battery. I think the solar panel was ten watts and it might keep the camper battery charged up. When using the camper, just put the solar panel away?? Just a thought
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I would look at upgrading to a system with two 6V golf cart batteries. We have the 5vr 28bh and I had the battery die on me after be night of dry camping on a fully charged battery. I tried to close the slides in the morning and it went dead on me. I had to reconnect a generator to finish with the slides so we could leave. After I switched to the two battery system, I can open and close the slides and show no sign of battery drain. The OEM battery is not very good.

Todd
2013 Sunset Trails SF28BH
Accoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Site Team

Question: Does hooking up the RV to the TV give ample juice to close the slides when battery is dead?

Edited by: mark5w

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Not a simple yes or no lots of variables. In some cases yes. You should get a lot of input on this.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

there are solar panels designed for rv batteries but they aren't cheap. I have plugged into my TV to operate slides before. Some TV must be turned on to give current o the trailers, others don't.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I had the same problem, I bought a disconnect that installs right on the battery. I don't remember what brand it is, but the system works well and if I remember correctly it was pretty cheap. I tried finding it online, but was unable to find it online. I will continue to look and if I find it I'll post it on here.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Most likely your truck has enough power to put the slides in. The issue is the wiring back to your trailer harness my not handle the load. I installed a battery switch and I never have problems anymore. I tried installing a small solar panel from Harbor Freight and it didn't work. But then again it was from Harbor Freight.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
New Camper

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I'm not missing the obvious. One would think this disconnect switch would be standard equipment. The battery the dealer gave me was a joke. It wouldn't last half a day dry camping with it. Lots of good info here, and I'm still learning. if anyone has links to a good disconnect switch send me my way.

Thanks again.
Waylonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

When I found my battery dead I connected the TV to TT to get power to operate the slide and the water pump and it would not do anything until I changed the battery out. have been trickle charging the dead battery now for a few weeks of off and on so Im hoping it will be good to go.
Z1 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken07734
When I found my battery dead I connected the TV to TT to get power to operate the slide and the water pump and it would not do anything until I changed the battery out. have been trickle charging the dead battery now for a few weeks of off and on so Im hoping it will be good to go.

Doubt it.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylonh
Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I'm not missing the obvious. One would think this disconnect switch would be standard equipment. The battery the dealer gave me was a joke. It wouldn't last half a day dry camping with it. Lots of good info here, and I'm still learning. if anyone has links to a good disconnect switch send me my way.

Thanks again.

Lots of folks use the marine type (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...mScope=3&c
There als some available at auto parts stores
Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Well, it is supposed to be only 4 months old and only went dead once. The cells have plenty of distilled water in them or electrolyte as its called, I have my VOM on it and it shows a good charge but until I get it on the TT to draw the big amps I wont know.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken07734
Well, it is supposed to be only 4 months old and only went dead once. The cells have plenty of distilled water in them or electrolyte as its called, I have my VOM on it and it shows a good charge but until I get it on the TT to draw the big amps I wont know.

OK. When you said you were charging it off and on for two weeks I assumed it was not taking a charge. If it indicates a full charge you should be ok. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

The marine switches are the way to go. I used a brass battery knife switch until I have time to wire in the marine switch.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

My Bad, I have so little time to be on this forum during working hours and usually fall asleep when home reading it....anyway I have a trickle charger and it doesnt show the charge level so I only leave it on for a few hours at a time to make sure I'm over heating it. Were going out this weekend so I'll know when I get to the storage facility and try to jack it up....

BTW: I was going to install a switch but realized the wing nut on the battery is so easy to just unscrew and pull the ground wire off....
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
New Camper

We just purchased our first CR TT and I ran into the same issue. I found a battery switch on Amazon that attaches to the top post and it fits in the standard battery box so quick and easy. It has a screw terminal that makes the connection so loosening that takes a few turns and you're done.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UTF8&psc=1

It's called: I also found these in WalMart in their Automotive section
<h1 ="parseasinTitle ">NOCO ID220S 6V-24V 125 Amp Battery Disconnect Switch</span></h1>

I'm working on a small solar panel for trickle charging while stored and Northern tools has several options. I picked up one small panel this past week ($12.99) on sale and it's labeled weather proof (we'll see). It has a quick disconnect wire that goes to 12v plug. I think I will change that to ring terminals and attach to the battery...

Good luck...We're taking our TT out for the first time this weekend

StanFSU is offline   Reply With Quote