Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Extreme weather package question

I have a 2016 ST270BH with Extreme Weather Package sticker on outside by front door.

I also have manufacturing document from factory build that shows something different.

How do you know if you actually have it installed?

Would you have separate circuit for tank heaters in breaker panel?

Can you see extra insulation somewhere that was installed?

Other thoughts?
Tltdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Perhaps look underneath to see if it is covered? Look into the strike side of the door for insulation.
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

When I got mine, it was not much more that mylar bubble sheets (maybe 1/2" thick X 3' x 5') laid on top of the membrane. Keeps some warmer temps inside the plumbing area when you run the gas furnace. As I recall, some of the newer units actually have a heat duct vented into that area to help with heat. Not sure if there was/is any other benefit of the polar package. No separate circuits for tank heaters.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for feedback and ideas. The bottom is enclosed so hard to tell anything. The insulation around the door doesn't give me much help either since I'm not sure what it should look like with or without package. Seems like it would be more than wrap Stan mentioned but not much I can do about it at this time.
Tltdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
Site Team

I think Stan is probably correct. If you think about it, the walls are only just so thick. They can't jam to much more in there.
That polar pack they offer has a few extras to it, but it's not anything to get real excited about.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

According to the website, the EWP includes "upgrade insulation and heated tank pads". Maybe you do have heated tanks but I don't know what form of heat is applied to the pads. On some of the other models they call it "polartec" package and it lists a foil insulation. Not sure of the difference between "polartec package" and "extreme weather package".
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

The foil insulation is a product developed for the space shuttle. If you go to their website it sounds like a very good product and one you for sure want on your RV.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

If you figure it out, let me know

I just custom ordered a unit specifically because I need this option because we do late season deer hunting trips and the temps are normally in low teens to single digits.

If you figure out how to tell if you have it I would appreciate knowing
CFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I've used a travel trailer on deer hunting trips for many years, some cold some not so cold. (Last year in the single digits at night) and only in the teens during the day. I have always winterized prior to deer season, so do not use any water in the camper. I've also never used gas heat because of the resulting condensation, and instead use an Eden Pure heater which makes it nice and comfortable for sleeping.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
My toy = 2004 Corvette Coupe
AmericalVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericalVette View Post
I've used a travel trailer on deer hunting trips for many years, some cold some not so cold. (Last year in the single digits at night) and only in the teens during the day. I have always winterized prior to deer season, so do not use any water in the camper. I've also never used gas heat because of the resulting condensation, and instead use an Eden Pure heater which makes it nice and comfortable for sleeping.
I'm not sure where the idea that the gas furnace causes condensation comes from.
The furnace on most RV's takes inside air and warms it. The exhausts goes outside. I don't see how it would be possible to blame it for making condensation in the trailer. That mainly is caused by cooking, and breathing.
Open a window on each end of the trailer just a crack, plus the overhead in the bathroom. You will see a noticeable improvement.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Site Team

To further clarify---the furnace is a sealed unit. It takes fresh air in to the combustion chamber to burn, and exhausts outside.
The circulating fan simply pulls air from within the trailer, circulates around the outside of the furnace and then pushes it thru the heat runs.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I have never had a condensation problem running the furnace in my current rig, although I recently started carrying an electric heater on the deer trips just so I wasn't burning my own money and using up my propane.

My buddy has tank heaters and my current rig has an open belly, and I am often envious of the fact he can wash up really well with a nice hot shower after field dressing his deer. I have also heard that the furnace alone, running a single, 4" duct into an underbelly doesn't always work real well since the t-stat is inside the living space.

I hope everything works the way imagine
Old 07-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I'm not sure where the idea that the gas furnace causes condensation comes from.
The furnace on most RV's takes inside air and warms it. The exhausts goes outside. I don't see how it would be possible to blame it for making condensation in the trailer. That mainly is caused by cooking, and breathing.
Open a window on each end of the trailer just a crack, plus the overhead in the bathroom. You will see a noticeable improvement.
It is the single pane glass that causes it. Warm inside, cold outside, with no airspace between the glass causes the condensation on the glass. A little bet of ventilation as Lloyd suggested will help.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
I have never had a condensation problem running the furnace in my current rig, although I recently started carrying an electric heater on the deer trips just so I wasn't burning my own money and using up my propane.

My buddy has tank heaters and my current rig has an open belly, and I am often envious of the fact he can wash up really well with a nice hot shower after field dressing his deer. I have also heard that the furnace alone, running a single, 4" duct into an underbelly doesn't always work real well since the t-stat is inside the living space.

I hope everything works the way imagine
You could temporarily skirt it somehow and place one of those oil radiators under it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
You could temporarily skirt it somehow and place one of those oil radiators under it.
I have talked about doing that, but my wife gets nervous about the idea of having a heater under the trailer. LOL
Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I suppose the idea came from the inside of my windows being really iced up when using gas heat. Using electric heat - not bad.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
My toy = 2004 Corvette Coupe
AmericalVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #17
Site Team

I guess for me to buy into that theory, somebody would have to show/tell/prove to me where that LP furnace is getting the moisture to accomplish that.

It's a closed system.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Site Team

Why Burning Propane Makes Water | eHow

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 25 nights in 8 states, 4611 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

First time out in ours it dropped to 30. Woke up to windows having condensation on the inside as well. Read something in my manual where it stated to crack a window...
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

The thing to realize is your furnace is a heat exchanger. The air that is involved with combustion is outside. The heat exchanger in your furnace has two air passages. The inside air is free from the carbon monoxide and the moisture from out side air that is the byproduct of combustion.
The reason why there is a carbon monoxide detector in the camper is to let you know if you have a cracked heat exchanger. That is the only way the moisture, from combustion would make it inside your camper.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

« power vent | Leaks »