Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
New Camper

Exclamation Faded front cap

We have a 2014/2015 Sunset Trail (bought new) and the front cap has faded really bad and the decal is cracked throughout. Does anyone have any idea how to handle this? We also took it for the first time in cold weather and we pretty much froze because there was no heat coming out of floor vents so we had to pay someone $480.00 to fix the problem. The duct work was never connected under the camper which caused all the heat to be trapped between the floor and the underneath outside covering of the camper. We have pictures referencing this. Would like to know if anyone else had had this problem and did crossroads take care of it?
Viper2srscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum, I see it's your first post! Since your trailer is past it's one year warranty, Crossroads will likely not cover the issues you list. Some have removed the front decal and had the front cap painted. That way you shouldn't have to worry about the gel coat fading again. I assume you have the dark brown cap (or used to). The newer models have a tan cap and it hasn't been as bad. You can always try a call to Crossroads prior to making a decision. Maybe they will work with you on getting a replacement decal if you want one.

Try to keep you fiberglass waxed and your decals coated with a uv protectant such as aerospace 303, and it will keep verything looking good longer. Good luck!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
New Camper

Faded front cap.

Thanks Steve7, our cap on the camper is actually beige with a dark decal. I will try calling crossroads concerning this. We contacted them concerning this before it was a year old and they acted like they had never had the problem but, I see that a lot of people have had this issue. We were also shocked to find that the duct work had never been connected and was just laying there.

Viper2srscout
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Viper
If I were you I would also be submitting that Duct bill to CR also...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
New Camper

Faded cap

Hi SeepyT, thank you. I wil be submitting a copy of the bill along with photos of how the duct work looked when they opened the bottom up. Whoever was handling quality fell down on their job or this would have been caught. I also read where the campers were painted with the wrong paint, should have been a recall and all of them should have been repainted regardless of warranty.

Viper2srscout,
Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Viper
Unfortunately in the RV world there is no such thing as recall...If you catch a problem before your warranty runs out, and in some cases even after the warranty runs out, depending on the severity of the problem, the manufacturer will bring the unit back to the factory to fix the problem, but in most cases it will be a service dealer to fix...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2srscout View Post
Hi SeepyT, thank you. I wil be submitting a copy of the bill along with photos of how the duct work looked when they opened the bottom up. Whoever was handling quality fell down on their job or this would have been caught. I also read where the campers were painted with the wrong paint, should have been a recall and all of them should have been repainted regardless of warranty.

Viper2srscout,
First off,, rv101...no such thing as quality there. build them and ship them as is. And it is not paint on the front cap ,the front is gel coat just like fiberglass boats, and any colour will fade. You will have to get it painted to get colour back to orig. Mine was painted just before the warranty expired,as were most others ,and all brands have the fade problem.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
New Camper

Faded cap

Thank you Sleepy T. I will attempt to go through the manufacturer with these issues. Again thank you for your assistance.

Viper2srscout
Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Welcome from NC. I see so many post about faded caps I just haven't looked at the post until now. So sorry for your problems. Let us know what happens.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
New Camper

Mine was a left over 2015 that I bought in 2016. Crossroads has fixed every issue I found. I just picked mine up yesterday from a repair facility where the front cap was repainted. I decided to leave the decals off since I've had issues with every front decal I've ever had.

I would look for an independent repair facility if your dealer is not working for you. I've used both and the independent worked harder and turned my camper around quicker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1043.jpg (312.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

We purchased our 2015 Sunset Trail Reserve(new) in January 2016 . The front cap faded, I contacted Crossroads. Crossroads paid for the repairs. I wonder if the Gel Coat will fade again? Good luck with your repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 SILVERADO AND CAMPER 2.jpg (85.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
Mine was a left over 2015 that I bought in 2016. Crossroads has fixed every issue I found. I just picked mine up yesterday from a repair facility where the front cap was repainted. I decided to leave the decals off since I've had issues with every front decal I've ever had.

I would look for an independent repair facility if your dealer is not working for you. I've used both and the independent worked harder and turned my camper around quicker.
The front cap paint look great, but it looks like it needs something. I get the decal thing. No matter how much you take care of them they fade or peel. What about having a window painted on the outside that looks like someone is looking out? That would freak people out on the highway.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRN View Post
The front cap paint look great, but it looks like it needs something. I get the decal thing. No matter how much you take care of them they fade or peel. What about having a window painted on the outside that looks like someone is looking out? That would freak people out on the highway.
It is a lot of beige, but I'm going to keep it plain this season and see if it grows on me.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu View Post
We purchased our 2015 Sunset Trail Reserve(new) in January 2016 . The front cap faded, I contacted Crossroads. Crossroads paid for the repairs. I wonder if the Gel Coat will fade again? Good luck with your repair.
The fix is to paint with car paint over the gel coat . So treat it like your vehicle.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

RV Decals for Crossroads Seville

Who reproduces or has the files / PDF / JPEG/ for the decals on the front of the cap for a Crossroads Seville. Crossroads said they don't have them any more. I've emailed a few leads from this form but none have returned an answer.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The fix is to paint with car paint over the gel coat . So treat it like your vehicle.
So are you saying that Camping world didn't paint the cap? You think they put gel coat on it AGAIN? If that's correct will it fade again? __________________
Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

It will be basecoat/clearcoat automotive paint.....painted after they sand the cap.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Painting front cap

Does anyone have a ballpark idea on the cost to repaint (without decal)?
stuckin4low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #19
New Camper

The center that repainted mine charged Crossroads about $2700 if I remember correctly. I didn't get an estimate for paying out of pocket.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Wow it looks like this fading is happening fast. You guys are taking about trailers that are 1 or 2 years old. We pick up our new Sunset Trail SS-291RK this coming Friday One of the things I told them to fix was a peeling decal on the front.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk