Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Rob
New Camper

Smile Faded front cap...no more!

Hi, I thought i'd do a little write up for those experiencing the well known faded front cap issue.

I have a 2014 Sunset trail 28BH with the brown front cap. The fading was so bad that it reached all the way down to the blue LED's that run across the front of the cap. I have done a little bit of research into why it might be happening and discovered that the cap is made using the same methods as fibreglass boats, a gel coat finish. I turn my search to boats and discovered that boat owners also have problems with faded fibreglass.

I bought a rubbing compound specifically designed for marine use and also a polishing wax for marine and RV's. I spent almost 4 hours with an orbital polisher, first with the rubbing compound and then followed with the polishing wax. I am so pleased with the results and it looks as good as new. My plan going forward is to go over the front cap once a year with polishing wax to try to keep the fading at bay, hopefully i can keep the fading away!

I don't have any before pictures but I have attached a picture of the finished result along with the 2 products used.

DSC_4452.JPG

DSC_4451.JPG

DSC_4449.JPG

DSC_4450.JPG
Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Looks good! Hopefully you have found a solution that will work for you.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Looks good ...for now . But remember that it is alot of work yearly ..like my old boat with a coloured gelcoat. Best bet is to just clear coat the whole cap,decal and all so you will never need to bust your but again. along the same note ,when I bought my last boat ,it was offered with a coloured wide stripe on the upper side...I opted for the stripe delete and glad i did as they all faded.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Rob,

Thanks for posting, looks great. I have tried the very same using Meguiars 9 as a friend who has a boat with the gel coat brought his back from a dull pink to the original red with this. I'm using an orbital polisher. Two applications so far and not back to the original brown. I am also planning to use an RV wax after. Not sure I am as dedicated as you!

But thanks for posting.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
New Camper

Hi everyone, I am also having a serious fading problems with my 2014 Sunset Trail, how did you manage to do the top? Sorry first time buyer and afraid to damage it further.
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Hey Rob! Thanks for the tips! We have the exact same model and are experiencing the exact same front cap fade as most with our model. We are looking for a solution - even something to just make it passably better - as we prepare to sell it. This might be just the solution!

Were the sizes you show enough to do the job on the front cap, or did you buy multiple bottles?

Thanks again,
Amy
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Looks good; nice job. I seen a sunset trail the other day near Winston-Salem NC that was so faded it looked terrible. Glad you found a solution.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

There's only 1 for sure cure, automotive paint.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #9
New Camper

You guys know nothing about fading. You should see my 2008 Sunset Trail. The decals are more white than colored at this point.
Kodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's only 1 for sure cure, automotive paint.

You are totally correct. Usually anything else is only a temporary fix.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I just waxed my 2015 33BD with Meguiars Flagship Marine cleaner/wax. I have the tan cap, not the brown, but it was oxidizing as well. They do not use good gelcoat on these things. Anyway, one coat and it looks almost new. I have used this product on my boats for years with great results. As stated, plan on this being an annual event. As far as reaching the top, I lean a 12' ladder against the cap, padded with a moving blanket, at an angle that allows me to reach the top. You will need someone to brace the ladder while you're on it.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Recently did the same thing with my used 2012 ST29SS Sunset Trail, which was also badly oxidized. I first used Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover using Meguiar's DMC6 6" DA Microfiber Cutting Disc, then followed it with Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish and on my Dual Action buffer used a polishing bonnet and the final product used was Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170827_170839.jpg (61.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20171016_151807.jpg (71.3 KB, 64 views)
Brox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
Site Team

There is one less expensive alternative to a paint job. It's this product: http://www.vivilon.com/product_list.html
My son used it when out in Houston for auto body technician training. Said it really brought the gloss back to original.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Now keep it covered as it will go again. have a marine canvas gu make a soft cover for the front.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I just waxed my 2015 33BD with Meguiars Flagship Marine cleaner/wax. I have the tan cap, not the brown, but it was oxidizing as well. They do not use good gelcoat on these things. Anyway, one coat and it looks almost new. I have used this product on my boats for years with great results. As stated, plan on this being an annual event. As far as reaching the top, I lean a 12' ladder against the cap, padded with a moving blanket, at an angle that allows me to reach the top. You will need someone to brace the ladder while you're on it.
I just placed an order for this product and will give it a try this weekend on my faded brown cap. If it helps even a little I'll be pleased. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
I just placed an order for this product and will give it a try this weekend on my faded brown cap. If it helps even a little I'll be pleased. Thanks for the recommendation.
As stated earlier ,only automotive paint will fix the fade on brown cap . Mine was painted 3 yrs ago and looks great . Quick polymer Polish yearly and that is it ...15 minutes .and done ..

Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
New Camper

Faded Front Cap 2013 Sunset Trail 31 BH

We have a 2013 Reserve Sunset Trail 31 BH by CROSSROADS we purchased last summer. Previous owner didn't look after and tried to clean front cap. The front was severely faded. I washed the trailer and used a general degreaser. Then purchased a one step Marine / RV compound and applied with a polisher. Then applied a 9H Car Ceramic Coating Kit Color N Drive which I also purchased online from Amazon. Please see the before and after pictures unbelievable difference. The truth will be after next season if it still looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meguiars one step compound Marine . RV.jpg (163.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 9H Car Ceramic Coating Kit Color N Drive.jpg (302.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 1 before Sun Baked.jpg (150.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 6 Ceramic coating.jpg (125.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 3 buffing.jpg (71.2 KB, 47 views)
gmurphy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
Site Team

Looks super good. I'll bet it was quite a chore working around the decals so as not to damage them.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Don't think you'd ever get that gloss from paint.
Bravo
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #20
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Looks super good. I'll bet it was quite a chore working around the decals so as not to damage them.
Believe it or not but we polished over decals as well then applied ceramic coating over the whole front the one step compound brought out the shine but the ceramic coating really enhanced the gloss stickers and all. A lot of work elbow grease.
gmurphy28 is offline   Reply With Quote