Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
New Camper

Feed back on 2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 30RE and F-150 tow set up

Hi, I am a newcomer to the group and looking for your experience and inputs.
I am seriously thinking of making an offer for a 2014 Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve 30RE.
As we have never owned a TT at all I would appreciate any inputs into the quality / reliability of Crossroads products and if anyone has this model in particular any feedback good or bad. Are there any particular items / subjects to focus on when performing the PDI ?
As a potential first time TT owner any feedback on this model would be appreciated , we are 2 people. Now retired looking to go down south escaping from the Canadian cold winters. I have spent many hours perusing the forum documentation and found good data for our RV kit. Also looked at the forum question /replies for any insights and to improve my knowledge database. Really invaluable in sites obtained.
The weight figures for the TT according to the actual unit weight decal is 6274 lbs (Does not include LP, water or dealer options). Cargo capacity is 3212 lbs and tongue weight is 700 lbs.
The other question is related to the tow vehicle and TT combination, again positive or negative feedback much appreciated before we decide to put the cash down. As I said we are newbies ??
We have a 2105 Ford F-150 dare I say it Ecoboost 3.5L XLT 4x4 SuperCrew Cab 6.5’ box 157” WB. It has a 3.31 axle ratio with a GCWR of 16100lbs, for conventional towing a Max loaded Trailer Wt limit quoted by Fords 2015 towing guide of 10700lbs. Tongue load limit being around 1000lb to 1500lb (10 to 15% of max loaded trailer).
Front axle limit is 3525 lbs and rear axle limit is 3800 lbs, truck cargo & passenger limit is 1801 lbs.
Tires are P275/65R18 116T with max pressure rating 51psi
To wrap up I have the following hitch/tow options, 53A Class IV trailer hitch, 53B trailer tow package towing capability up to 11,100 lbs and 67T Integrated trailer brake controller. It has its own trailer swat control system as well.
From my limited reading & understanding of tow loads / limits and distribution I can see I will have to be careful with the tongue load as I understand this is part of the truck cargo passenger limit. Am I correct in my understanding?
Finally in order to be able to tow up to the max loaded trailer limit of 10700 lbs I will need a WDH. For this I was thinking of installing a ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch http://www.propridehitch.com Has anyone any experience with this WDH ? I could do with some feedback as its rather expensive or possible alternatives.
So with the TT weight of 6274 + 3212 (max cargo) = 9486 lbs against my F-150 max loaded trailer tow limit of 10700 lbs is this acceptable ? with approx 11% (1214 lbs) in reserve.
Sorry for the ramble, its all new to me and would appreciate any feedback, have I missed anything or is there a red flag that I dont see due to lack of experience.
Best regards and thank you
PDH Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Sounds like you have a good handle on the math.

3200 is a LOT of cargo, especially if you're not full timing. I doubt two of you will approach that unless you're traveling brick salesman. That being said, it's nice to know you will be within your limits.

If you can afford it both dollars wise and tongue weight wise the PP hitch would be great.....but could be overkill. Light tongue weights are the cause of sway, sounds like with only two people you'll be able to run 15% tongue weight which should make it tow real stable (I tow a 30 ft at 12% without any issues). That being said the PP will eliminate sway, not mask it or control it like my equalizer 4 or does. The ONLY problem I've heard of with the PP is the inability for some service shops to move your rig around since there's not a traditional ball.

You could always try a $500 option like the EQ4 or Blue Ox and if it isn't any good you should be able to get $300 plus selling it used.

Keep in mind not all center of gravity is created equal, you want as much weight over the trailer axles as possible, while maintaining 10-15% tongue weight, opposed to a bunch of weight up front and then counteracting it with weight in the back. That will make controlling the sway or porposing harder to stop once it starts.

The propane will add about 90 lbs to your tongue weight (30 lb bottles or 50 lbs full, each) and a 31 series battery about 60 lbs. So that's about 150 lbs on top of the manufacturers stated tongue weight, or 850 in your case....about 13.5% tongue weight. That being said, get it weighed after you buy it. But it should be a great match with your truck. But no matter what you're pulling it with, you want it properly loaded, leveled, and balanced whether your towing it with an SUV or a full ton dually.

Hope this helps!