Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Anyone put anything on their Reserve Edition fiberglass cap to protect from rock chips? We have noticed a few and would like to protect it from further chips.
Ive looked at 3M film they use on the front of cars but was wondering if anyone else worries about this and what you have done?

Any tips appreciated.

Ian

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Ian

I am having the same problems with my ST25RB, despite never being on gravel and having mud flaps on my truck. I have the paint code for the brown on the front to touch up the chips but it is impossible to find. Crossroads doesn't have touch up paint. It is a GM paint code but the local GM dealership could not find it and and the local body shops cannot even find a formula to make me a pint. I am going to have my local detail shop put 3m film on mine in the spring. The good thing is, thats the only bad thing about our trailer after year 1.

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Brian,

Same issue here!!!!! Mudflaps and no gravel roads and there are chips. I was also concerned about the paint and trying to find a match for touch ups and looks like you found out that it is very hard to get.
Glad to hear you have had good luck with your trailer. We have as well except for a few issues but our dealer took care of them with no questions asked! Which is a lot better than some of the other dealers I have heard of through this forum.
I thought of diamond plate on the front but I don't think there is any way to mold it to the curves that the front cap has.
Sounds like the 3M is the only option we have. I had never heard of it before so hopefully I can find someone out here to put it on properly!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

3M is the way to go for sure. I intend on doing this sometime in the spring. From a distance you cannot even tell it is there, great product!

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Here's the best thing i've seen for protecting anything you are towing.

http://www.towtector.com/
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Baldwin

Try http//www.automotivetouchup.com they were able to match my Ford color prefect. They shipped within two days seems to be a good product,

I have a 2010 ST24 and the decals have all cracked. Looks like a alligator. Has anyone else had this problem?

2010 ST24BH
ritterjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Yup!...alligator is a good comparison...the only remedy I found was to call CR and ask for another set of decals...when replaced, they look great...till the sun gets em again after a few yrs....

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

p.s. my heighbor bought our old 2000Trail Lite and its decals are faded a bit but not cracked....

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Anyone get that 3M film put on yet?

Just wondering how it turned out?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I talked to my local detailer and she told me that would not be a problem to install the film, but needs warm weather to do it. Unfortunately we are not having any and there are 3 ft deep snow drifts around my unit

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Yikes Brian

I was kicking my self for not having the trailer out this weekend!!!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin View Post
Ian

I am having the same problems with my ST25RB, despite never being on gravel and having mud flaps on my truck. I have the paint code for the brown on the front to touch up the chips but it is impossible to find. Crossroads doesn't have touch up paint. It is a GM paint code but the local GM dealership could not find it and and the local body shops cannot even find a formula to make me a pint. I am going to have my local detail shop put 3m film on mine in the spring. The good thing is, thats the only bad thing about our trailer after year 1.

Brian
Yep, I was given paint code 416 H11 or GM-WA8808 by CrossRoads tech. support and I can't come with anything from any source.
I think I will just pick out something I like and go with that.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Ok some prices for front cap protection:

Towtector as suggested by Scott: $400.00

Rockstar Flaps: $400.00

Line-X for bottom 4ft of Cap: $450 plus $175 for approximate color match

3M Protection film: $650 for bottom 4 ft $925 for whole cap

So obviously the mudflaps will be cheaper but has anyone used them? Do they work, or should I stop being such a Scotsman and fork out the 1000 and have the whole cap done.

Suggestions, recommendations, ideas greatly appreciated.

PS I live in BC so those are the prices locally for the Line-X and 3m mudflap price are online.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Alright, former Albertan here (read, gravel town). I have an F350, with 4 pretty decent sized mud flaps on it. After our 5000km tour in the truck/trailer, there was chips. Primarily on the bottom 3 feet of the of the front cap. The frame had some too, but that's just a quick spray paint away from an easy fix.

I called our 3m guy and he did the bottom 3 feet for me, wrapped around the sides, contoured to the lights, but not wrapped under the bottom for $150.

It's the best thing you can do in my opinion. Nothing else is going to keep it well protected. Trust me, we replace hoods on cars all the time, and the ones with 3m have no rock chips on them. Plus 3m will protect the paint from UV to a degree. I still waxed the front 3m once it was dry.

People always talk about the "lines" you can see where there is dirt or wax residue collected on the edge of the 3m. To that ridiculous argument I say what about the F*N ROCK CHIPS if you don't have 3m?

You either have chips all over the front cap or 3m lines.

The choice is yours!
wikdslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

wikdslo thanks for the info......big difference in price between here and there for the 3m product 150 to 650 plus the taxes! Glad,to hear that the 3m stuff works.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Sorry, forgot that that was my cash price. The 3m scene has different prices. If you find a person that is an authorized installer, the only way you can get warranty (10 year) is if you go through the proper channels. (Authorized installer, receipt w/taxes).
That way you are covered by 3m, not just the installer in case anything goes wrong.

I didn't ask for or expect perfection. I just wanted it protected from rock chips. I got exactly that. If you think of how often that front cap is covered in dirt, road grime, bugs, and then add stone chips, realistically, my 3m job doesn't have to be perfect. I was quoted $450 retail for the bottom 3', and that would be more time spent and no patch work, all contoured through in 1 piece.

The way my guy did it, he used 1 large piece to cover the whole area, but around the lights he cut larger openings, and spliced in 2 pieces to cover around the lights to save time (and money!)

Just make sure that if you get it done, they use 3m product, or there is one step up from there, guaranteed to never yellow, but it's significantly more. The 3m stuff is fine.
wikdslo is offline   Reply With Quote