Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

First problems

First problems. The included grill is junk. I have to lay on my back on the ground to hook up anything to the qd gas coupler also. Tried to turn on the gas to the quick disconnect and the valve handle hit the body of the quick disconnect. Tried to bend it down a little and it broke off in my hand.

Wife tried the grill out with some steaks, doesn't like it. I guess we'll use our old camper grill and grill table thus making the bumper mount attachment useless. It's a 2 burner grill we got at Sams for under $100. Have a griddle with it that doesn't fit on the camper supplied grill also. Our old one is a little bigger.

Everything else is fine so far.

Finish loading it up tomorrow after golf and then take off to Wood River.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Team

There are some members here that modified their bumper mount for new stoves. Maybe they'll chime in.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I modified my stock grille with a pair of bolt-cutters. Removed the warming rack and handles so that a cast iron griddle would fit. I also removed the heat shield from the burner. Made a world of difference.

I have the exact same propane valve/quick coupling setup you have. I plan to extend the line out to the side, install a new quick coupling and an actual ball valve.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

After staring at the grill mount I think I can weld up something to sit the grill we have on it and move it a little further from the trailer. Wife didn't like how close to the trailer the grill was and neither did I.

I put the camper supplied grill and accessories in storage in my shop, not using it. Luckily for me the st250rb has more front storage than my jayco and the old grill fits in the front compartment just fine and still have room for my table, 2 water hoses, 2 electrical cables, anderson levelers, wheel chocks, cables and locks, dog cable, broom and dustpan, 2 levels, and short hose and nozzle for cleaning sewer hoses. There's a ton of room in there.
The griddle for my old grill fits on the shelf above the outside refrigerator.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

To add, I moved my soft tool bag and my other tool box to the back of my truck, they're better off there anyhow.

After searching all over the internet for another valve handle I guess I'll just have to buy another valve assembly for around $20. It will do for now, can't do any grilling what with working 10 hrs, it being cold, and the time change. I can still work the valve using the little nub that's left but it's tough on my fingers.

I plan on extending the qd valve out to where I can reach it without laying on my back, like frosty42 is.
My old grill has an igniter so I don't have to lay on my back and manually light it like the camper supplied junk.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Because I thought I wanted to use the QD, I bought an appropriate propane grill. But I find that the rear of the TT is not where I often want the grill, depending on the site. I just bring an extra propane bottle for the grill and the fire pit. I can then put them where I want them.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Here is what a bunch of us did there is another post on this in the forum. I replaced mine with a Weber Q1200. http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...picture950.jpg

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

And the nice thing with that Weber is it can sit on the table or you can buy the optional stand.
http://burgpath.us/photos/thumbnails.php?album=41
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

2016 Sunset 30 RK
First thing I did was remove the cheap outside grill and mount. Noticed that the outside sink drains onto the ground. Also saw how hard it was to hook up the gas line for the stove. I went and removed the entire slide assembly. I now have convenient storage for chairs, folding tables, etc.

When I sell the trailer I can easily slip the slide assembly back in.
JWKohrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Forgot about this thread.

I climbed under the trailer and there's enough gas line under there to extend it out without adding any. It's kind of wound around behind the bumper.

Hasn't been a priority because I still have the camper up at work and it's dark when I leave, dark when I get back, and too cold to worry about grilling.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Here's the grill I have:
Member's Mark Portable Stainless Steel Gas Grill with Cover - Sam's Club

It works very well. The griddle works great too. I bought another hose without a regulator and with qd.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

To add, I've lived in the trailer for around 3 weeks now and have had no problems at all.
Was disappointed when I ran out of propane and found I only had 20 pound bottles, but that will be rectified when I take the 30's off my jayco and haul them back with me Sunday. The jayco and it's new owner when I sell it will get the 20's.

No leaks anywhere. My first week in my jayco I had fixed a leak under the bathroom sink on the drain, then on the cold water supply, then on the kitchen faucet.
The toilet was leaking around the base at odd times on the jayco when I pulled it in. Haven't fixed that yet. All of this was very aggravating. I have had no such problems with the sunset trail.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I agree the quality of the grill is less than desired. It has worked for us, but when I have to replace it I will do what some have done and modify. I will not purchase this type of grill only because of quality.