Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason
Not trying to be a jerk, I am just stating that the axles on that trailer meet the Manufactures ratings for that trailer. After all, what determines the GVWR of a trailer if not the suspension? Why would you travel at max GVWR? not only does this use more gas, but it leave no room for anyone to use the trailer once you reach your destination. if your maxed out before you ever arrive how do you add water, where does the gray and black go? you will surely overload your trailer. Now none of this takes in account that the axles or suspension may be misslabled and can not actually hold the loads the trailer requires. However why do we think the manufacture shoud over engineer everything because we cant stay within limits?

Just MHO, Again not trying to start anything, just stating an opinion
Tires don't wear out when they are stationary.

If his tires are worn on the inside, it's from travelling down the road, and at 6600 lbs he's not overweight.

wikdslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Did lippert adopt that philosophy from Crossroads... there seems to be a trend here...

Matt, if I remember my dates correctly Lippert lowered their warranty right before Crossroads lowered theirs. Maybe they flipped a coin to see who would go first.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

I'm having the same problem (undersized axles)
How can I get dealer or crossroads to fix it. I already had to replace an axle due to failed bearings with under 5000 miles OT unit.
Paparkcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #24
Seasonal Camper

Get on phone with Crossroads and don't take no for an answer. Probably try for Mark Quinn from what I have heard.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Thanks. The dealer has already spoken with them. If they refuse to help I'll be in contact with the state attorney general. I'll also be at every RV show with all of my receipts, pictures of the damage and all correspondence between myself the dealer and crossroads.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

You might consider part of your problem is letting the dealer contact Crossroads. Direct contact with Crossroads seems to work the best from what is posted here. Some dealers are real iffy....
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
I have had real bad luck with Terry Bachmen at Crossroads, I have also heard good and bad comments about Mark. But either way, keep trying to get Crossroads to pay. Its not right to put under rated axles on campers. [Moderator Edit]
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

It's really a shame. I love the layout of my camper. I've had a few minor problems since I bought it. If it wasn't for my axles I would definitely recommend Crossroads to anybody. I can't understand why they just don't recall and replace the undersized axles. It will cost them money now but if they don't they will lose future customers. If this problem causes an accident they can be sued. I just pray there aren't any fatalities.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #29
Site Team

Paparkcamper, what size axles do you have on your Rv??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Paparkcamper, what size axles do you have on your Rv??
I bought my st25rb new in August of 2012. I don't know what size they are. I do know that my bearings on the rear axle failed in oct 2013 on the pa turnpike. I had to get it towed and repaired in Allentown. I don't know much about axles but I'm learning. Every mechanic I spoke with told me they suspected the axle was too small.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #31
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparkcamper View Post
I bought my st25rb new in August of 2012. I don't know what size they are. I do know that my bearings on the rear axle failed in oct 2013 on the pa turnpike. I had to get it towed and repaired in Allentown. I don't know much about axles but I'm learning. Every mechanic I spoke with told me they suspected the axle was too small.
Your trailer has Lippert 3500lb axles and needs to be upgraded to the 4400lb version or even better yet Dexter brand.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

The problem is after it was towed I was told it wouldn't be covered under warranty because it was 14 months old and I didn't have my bearings repacked yet. ( I do it at
The end of every season but I didn't in 2012 because I only used it twice). So I told the shop that towed it to replace it with the same axle. At the time I hadn't noticed my 2 rear tires were bald on the inside of the tread. They replaced it with a dexter axle. I didn't find this out until after coming home from my first trip this year. I found grease all over the same wheel so I brought it back to my dealer. They told me it's a
Dexter. Now crossroads is saying my problems are because the axles are incompatible. My trailer has about 5000 miles on it. My dealer " Fretz RV" is trying to help but so far crossroads is fighting it. Hopefully I can get it repaired soon.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #33
Family Vacation Member

So our trailer axles require annual repacking? I don't recall reading that in the manuals and why don't the dealers tell us these things. No wonder they are failing more often.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

The 2012 ST25RB has a gross weight of 7560. This equals two axles rated at 3500lbs a piece and a toung weight of 560. If this trailer had axles rated at 4400lbs then the gross weight would be 9360. The axle ratings plus toung weight determine gross weight and in turn determine how much stuff can be carried above dry weight. Is the question the 3500lbs axles can not really handle 3500lbs? This setup gives you over 2000lbs of cargo weight and seems like it should be sufficient. Unless of course the axles can not really handle what they are supposed to.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
Family Vacation Member

Roaddog. They are referring to repacking the wheel bearings on the axles.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #36
Family Vacation Member

Tom thats what i meant sorry for not being more clear. But i don't recall seeing any warranty requirements to have to repack the bearings annually.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #37
Weekend Camper

I didn't see anything either. I've always done it at the end of the season with all of the other trailers I've owned through the years.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #38
Weekend Camper

I have a ZT25RB12 with 3500 lbs axles by Libbert are you guys saying these axles are underrated for this trailer and if so why.I have towed my tt over 3000 Km's last year and the tires have shown no wear and the trailer tows great,was just over to my dealer for annual inspection and it passed no issues.
D&J'sZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #39
Family Vacation Member

Roaddog. I understand where your commimg from. I don't know anything about a warranty written about bearing repacking either. But it is a good habit to get into. I work in auto repair and see a lot of construction trainers with spun bearings due to under greasing of them.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #40
Weekend Camper

I looked under the camper today and saw my axels were rated at 4400 lbs per axle; which is good. This lead me to pull the center cap off the rim where I discovered my axels have bearing buddy's already installed. It is a grease fitting to pump grease into the bearings without tearing it down to repack. They are easy to install , done it in the past to my boat trailer.

DaddyO & GG
Kids and Cat
2010 Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7 (gas hog)
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS Reserve
Daddyo&GG is offline   Reply With Quote