Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
New Camper

GFI wont reset

GFI that is located in the bathroom won't reset on my 2014 Sunset Trail reserve 30 RE model. , no power to outlets in living area, TV outlet, nor outside plug. Tried a new GFI and it did not set either, once I did get the GFI to reset every time I touched metal I got zapped then the GFI tripped and would not reset. I disconnected the shore power and the GFI reset, once I plugged it in it tripped out immediately. This is the 2nd GFI I have installed. Someone said maybe a bad ground along one of the outlets in the living area, or maybe moisture got into the outside outlet and possibly corroded and is now not grounded.?

Any help.
vernonbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonbump View Post
GFI that is located in the bathroom won't reset on my 2014 Sunset Trail reserve 30 RE model. , no power to outlets in living area, TV outlet, nor outside plug. Tried a new GFI and it did not set either, once I did get the GFI to reset every time I touched metal I got zapped then the GFI tripped and would not reset. I disconnected the shore power and the GFI reset, once I plugged it in it tripped out immediately. This is the 2nd GFI I have installed. Someone said maybe a bad ground along one of the outlets in the living area, or maybe moisture got into the outside outlet and possibly corroded and is now not grounded.?

Any help.
Probably because the wiring is dangling around where water can get to it under the slide out. That is what mine did it was the first of many issues.
mneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
Site Team

It's possible you have 2 GFI outlets. Check and make sure on that.
Also if you have a slide out there might be a junction box underneath. They prone for getting water inside and shorting out. Check for that also.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Our sunset has a GFI in the bathroom, as well as on the wall of the island facing the dinette/recliners. Have had to rest ours twice since we've had it.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, Mega Cab
Cummins powered
Golfreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Could be water in a junction box as mentioned, but my concern is getting zapped when touching metal. Are you in a campground? Could it be a bad pedestal wiring/connection issue?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

x3 on the junction box under the slide..

if you have a slide I'll bet that's your culprit..had the same issue 3 mo into our new trailer.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:18 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

X4. Just went through this myself. Maybe Crossroads will listen and install water tight boxes on future trailers.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

as stated above. you have a short to ground causing the GFI to trip this is normal and for your protection, that is why you get zapped when holding the reset in. you have to find the short. start opening junction boxes and look for loose or disconnected wires.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
New Camper

Thanks I will check.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
New Camper

Just one GFI, I will start with the outside outlet and the box under the slide and check those, had not but issues with this unit since day 1.. been at Camping world for months on many issues, now out of standard warranty go figure.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

You say you tried a new GFI and it wouldn't reset. It is possible that the wiring is backwards as I had that problem when replacing a failed GFI. By being backwards, I mean that the hot lead from the breaker and the power lead to the downstream outlets may be backwards. Even as an electrical engineer, I find the instructions provided with GFIs to be extremely confusing. Anyway, you have to find out which lead is really the hot lead and make sure it is connected correctly. Residential GFIs as sold in HD or Lowes will NOT reset if the hookup is backwards while RV GFIs don't care. Crossroads definitely wired my GFI backwards.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
Site Team

A link that Lloyd posted on another topic may help you. GE 3-Wire Receptacle Tester 50542 - Voltage Testers - Amazon.com

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
New Camper

a few weeks back the GFI reset but I kept getting zapped but the GFI still stayed on then but on this recent trip it would not reset. the GFI has been replaced twice by camping world the one from Lowes did not reset out of the box or wired, I hooked it up the same black on left both connections white right side bottom and ground, took that one back and reconnected the GFI that was installed back in may the gfi reset since the power was off, once I turned on the breakers it tripped. Prior to this I reset the GFI and it zapped me, popped out and would not reset after that.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonbump View Post
a few weeks back the GFI reset but I kept getting zapped but the GFI still stayed on then but on this recent trip it would not reset. the GFI has been replaced twice by camping world the one from Lowes did not reset out of the box or wired, I hooked it up the same black on left both connections white right side bottom and ground, took that one back and reconnected the GFI that was installed back in may the gfi reset since the power was off, once I turned on the breakers it tripped. Prior to this I reset the GFI and it zapped me, popped out and would not reset after that.
Exactly my point, if Crossroads had the two black wires backwards and you hooked up the GFI from Lowes it would NOT reset. Hot lead from the circuit panel must be hooked to the correct terminal or they will not reset. That guarantees that the downstream outlets are actually being protected by the GFI as intended. I suspect this is a building code requirement and RVs don't have the same requirement, so cheaper GFIs with a simple mechanical reset can be used and mis-used with backwards wiring. By taking the GFI back to Lowes, you have avoided fixing a real problem.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
as stated above. you have a short to ground causing the GFI to trip this is normal and for your protection, that is why you get zapped when holding the reset in. you have to find the short. start opening junction boxes and look for loose or disconnected wires.
What he said.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:15 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Why haven't you checked the box under the slide yet?

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
New Camper

Thanks for all the input I will check the box under the slide next time we are at the beach as we leave it there in storage.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #18
New Camper

I went underneath and removed the junction box and water poured out. removed second junction box and more water pored out, pulled all wires sprayed with WD40 aired them out for a few hour with fans, reconnected wires and box, sealed all connections leading to the boxes with silicone. reset GFI and no more issues yet. MY question is where is the water coming from it was very rusty looking and white mushy looking stuff ????
Old 11-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Road spray maybe? From driving on wet roads.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Might as well drill a small hole in the bottom rear corner of the box to let out any water that will probably get in there again. did that to mine and check it yearly and no water.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote