Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Help : No A/C, No Radio and No Micro

Yesterday I replaced the battery on my 2017 Sunset Trail and while changing the battery there was a spark and realized I had the polarity reversed while connecting the terminals. Connected the terminals right this time (red:+ve, black: -ve), went in checked the breaker board and ended up replacing one 20 amp fuse. Rest of 20 amp fuses and 15 amp fuses looked ok. Still, the radio/entertainment system wont come on, the microwave is off as well. Air conditioner thermostat is on displays the current temperature(90 deg) and when I set it cool (75 deg) it does not kick off the air conditioner.

Anyone had seen this before? If so what should I do to fix?

Thanks!
~~Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least~~Goethe
sivamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you plugged in to 110? The microwave is 110 so if plugged in check the breakers. Also the radio probably has a fuse inline located behind the radio. Not sure on the AC but if the Tstat lights up again check the breakers and I understand there is a fuse in the Tstat.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Are you plugged in to 110? The microwave is 110 so if plugged in check the breakers. Also the radio probably has a fuse inline located behind the radio. Not sure on the AC but if the Tstat lights up again check the breakers and I understand there is a fuse in the Tstat.
We are not plugged into 110V, will check after plugging in.

We did not look for a fuse behind the radio, will look for it.

About the thermostat fuse, any idea where exactly could it be? Do we need to remove the thermostat control display to access it? Will the thermostat display still work(like in our case) and still not kick off the compressor and fan?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
~~Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least~~Goethe
Old 10-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Your AC is 110 also but the Tstat works on 12 v. So after you plug in to 110 your AC may work. I do not have a electronic Tstat but I understand that you need to remove it from the wall and there is a fuse inside. You are not the first to do this so someone else may chime in with more details on the Tstat. If you get some red tape and put it on the + or positive battery cable it will help you remember in the future. On my cruiser I replaced the cables with black and red so no question when changing batteries.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Your AC is 110 also but the Tstat works on 12 v. So after you plug in to 110 your AC may work. I do not have a electronic Tstat but I understand that you need to remove it from the wall and there is a fuse inside. You are not the first to do this so someone else may chime in with more details on the Tstat. If you get some red tape and put it on the + or positive battery cable it will help you remember in the future. On my cruiser I replaced the cables with black and red so no question when changing batteries.
Hope this helps.
Will follow up and keep my updates posted here for anyone in future looking to fix identical issues.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivamr View Post
Yesterday I replaced the battery on my 2017 Sunset Trail and while changing the battery there was a spark and realized I had the polarity reversed while connecting the terminals. Connected the terminals right this time (red:+ve, black: -ve), went in checked the breaker board and ended up replacing one 20 amp fuse. Rest of 20 amp fuses and 15 amp fuses looked ok. Still, the radio/entertainment system wont come on, the microwave is off as well. Air conditioner thermostat is on displays the current temperature(90 deg) and when I set it cool (75 deg) it does not kick off the air conditioner.

Anyone had seen this before? If so what should I do to fix?

Thanks!
I've had fuses that look just fine that actually don't work (DC Side only). Get a multi-meter and check for either:
1. Power on both sides. Your DC should show 12 VDC on both sides.
2. Continuity (ohms) across the fuse. It should be very low or 1 ohm.

If you have power at the breaker box then go to the radio and find the power wire. Check for 12 VDC there (unless it's a 120 VAC power).
1. If you don't have power start working your way backward. Hopefully you find a fuse.
2. If you have power behind the radio you probably have a problem with the radio.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Update:

1. Radio/DVD Player System: Started working once took the system out and replaced the 10A fuse inside the player system.

2. Microwave/Air Conditioner: Did not work first when I connected to 110V A/C. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the voltage regulator between the 15A/30A adaptor and the camper power cord was putting out 0A(???), removed the regulator and plugged the camper directly to the 15A/30A adaptor and everything came back to life!!

Lessons learned:

1. Battery terminals when replacing: Positive: Red, Negative: Black

2. Learnt to locate, identify and replace the blown fuses on the main breaker board. Ordered some spare fuses(10A, 15A and 20) to keep handy so that I don't have to run around to get one when in need.

3. There is a fuse within the entertainment system.

4. AC and Microwave run on A/C.

5. Don't place the voltage regulator between 110V/15A and the camper, at least in my case. Experts may disagree and have better insights on this.

Big thanks to dagst1 & mdbeck1 for the pointers! much appreciated.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Glad to see you got it fixed. And thank you for posting the outcome. Sometimes people post a problem then never let us know if they found a fix. And your welcome. Happy to help.

Happy Camping!