Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

HELP with a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve Strange Slide Leak

Today we left for our first trip of the season. Upon opening our kitchen table slide we noticed a fair amount of water on the floor with droplets on the bottom half of the bunkhouse door. Four days earlier it was dry but it has rained for literally 2 hours the day before. All the walls and roof were dry and I could not find an obvious source so I cleaned it up with a towel and decided to keep a close eye on it.

While driving, we went through a fair amount (2.5 hours) of light to moderate rain. When we got to our lake property and re-opened the slide, once again the floor was soaked from what appeared to be under the slide on the floor. The REALLY strange thing is, under the table we had a flat of Coke. ONLY under the Coke the carpet was sopping wet but everywhere else around the flat on the carpet was dry!!! My first thought too but no, the Coke did not leak....it was water!!!

What confuses me is....under the part of the slide where it was sopping with water would have sat atop of the floor against the island in the kitchen across from the table in the trailer. Again, the roof and walls are dry with no obvious source so it appears it is coming from UNDER the slide?!?!?

Please, ANY help would be VERY appreciated as I am completely confused!!!! I've soaked up most of the water with a towel and plan to hit the area with a hair dryer in the morning.....its late and been a very long day. I think it is a Lippert slide with the Schwintek (? Spelling) track system. Thanks for the help....

Cheers,
Dean
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Anyone???
Old 05-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Check the seal under the main slide. Sometimes when we travel in the rain I see a little under the slide when I open it up.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Check the seal under the main slide. Sometimes when we travel in the rain I see a little under the slide when I open it up.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!!!! The seal looks OK, but I am really not sure what I am looking at. They are flexible, not torn and appear to be where they need to.

What really confuses me is that the water is getting in when we are driven BH ir parked with the slides in or out and it's wet ONLY under the left side (near bunkhouse) kitchen table. As a precaution I've put a blue tarp over the slide roof for now which seems to be working while I figure this out......any other ideas????
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Doesn't your dinette sit in the slide? Gotta be getting in there somehow.

Are you still under warranty? Might be a good idea to have it looked at.

If the tarp is helping, it could be coming in from the top or sides and running down to the floor.
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Team

If there are any clearance lights any where near, you might check to see if they are sealed. Been known to leak quite frequently. Check around the windows or anything else that has an opening in that side of the trailer.
Also take a look at the bulb seals around the slide. Make sure they haven't pulled loose.
Do you have a slide topper? I know, that shouldn't be the answer, but they do cure a lot of leaks in the slide area.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I had something similar recently and found that when I was closing the slide I wasn't closing it enough. It was flush up against the rubber sealer, but not snug.
I found this because during the last rain storm I sat in the camper with the slide closed. Saw it right away.
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and advice. Sorry for not getting back earlier however my wife's uncle is currently having a triple bypass which is why we are out in the first place. With the trips back and forth to the hospital, getting the water running at our lake lot, our 6yr old and the trailer I don't have a ton of time right now.

To answer everyone's questions...

There are no clearance lights and the window seals look fine as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge and experience. The dinette is in that slide and the roof and walls are and have always been dry with no bulges or signs of water that I can find. The carpet is drying out slowly but it's cold (near zero) and wet here so that's to be expected.

At this point I think it's either a roof leak on the outside edge of the slide as it's currently covered by a tarp or more likely, fingers crossed, the slide was not all the way in. If it is the slide roof, I would have no idea where it would be coming from as all the deals look OK.

I can't confirm 100% that the slides were all the way in as the wife was the one who put them in while I was hooking up.....usually I put it in. It seems strange to me though that she would mistakenly not put them all the way in but I guess if she was in a rush not not completely paying attention....I usually keep the switch pressed a second or two after the slide stops to ensure they are all in.

I guess the only way to tell for sure us to pull the tarp now that the carpet is dry and see what happens. If it's stays dry then I guess the slide was not all the way in.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Never mind, apparently I spoke too soon!!!!!! Now the carpet is soaked again, the roof and walls are soaked the one door is wet and looks like it is separating and to make life even better, the other two slides now have condensation on the roof and walls!!!!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Site Team

Sounds like a major roof leak or around ac or other vents. When rain stops better check out the roof. But be careful on wet roof.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I am at home now and my wife and kid are there. Just got off the phone, it has to be the roof as I am now told there is not a dry room in the trailer!!!!! How is this possible with a trailer that is on its second year!!!! Especially where we live, due to winter, we only use it 4 months out of the year and it sits in our lot the entire time!!!!!

Not sure how I can get on roof though....it's not rubber like all the other trailers, it's more of a fabric cover.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:19 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

The roof needs to be inspected for cracks in the sealant at least twice a year and resealed as necessary. Brand new units at the dealership can develop leaks just from sitting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

It was inspected at the start and end of last year. I was planning on doing the first inspection when we got to the lake but it was pouring rain. I figured I would wait until the rain subsided then we ran into this.

Just to put it into perspective the water level went up three feet in two days due to the rain!!!!!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Does anyone know exactly what the roof is made of for lack of a better explanation on the 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 33 BD? It looks like more of a vinyl fabric than rubber roof. Also, does anyone know if you can walk on it? I've kept off it so far but it's a real PITA to inspect and clean if you cant get on it!!

Also, what needs to be done for maintenance? I thought I knew but apparently, since I've got a major leak, I might be missing something. I basically just inspect the calking around the vents and use a soft brush on a long handle with dish soap to lightly scrub it clean.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Does anyone know exactly what the roof is made of for lack of a better explanation on the 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 33 BD? It looks like more of a vinyl fabric than rubber roof. Also, does anyone know if you can walk on it? I've kept off it so far but it's a real PITA to inspect and clean if you cant get on it!!

Also, what needs to be done for maintenance? I thought I knew but apparently, since I've got a major leak, I might be missing something. I basically just inspect the calking around the vents and use a soft brush on a long handle with dish soap to lightly scrub it clean.
If it has a ladder, you should be able to walk on roof. Most will try to stay on the trusses best they can. Some guys that don't have the ladder will place a piece of plywood on the roof and stand or kneel on that. I have a different model, and have a rubber roof, and I thought all the models the last few years also do. I'm sure someone will chime in who knows.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

If it kind of resembles an orange peel, texture wise, it is probably a TPO roof membrane. Here is a link that might help.

RV and Utility Trailer Products
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

That roof should be Alpha Ply TPO, It is a plastic with rubber mixed in for elasticity.

This link should answer most of your questions

Product Care & Warranty - Alpha Systems, LLC

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone, I do believe it is the Alpha TPO roof as well....not there so I can't 100% confirm.

What is the general consensus on the type of roof? I've only had limited experience with rubber

Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Thanks everyone, I do believe it is the Alpha TPO roof as well....not there so I can't 100% confirm.

What is the general consensus on the type of roof? I've only had limited experience with rubber

Ultimately, I was trying to ask is TPO is a substandard product or is it an improvement?

Old 05-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
Site Team

I don't believe it's sub standard, but I would prefer the EPDM membrane.

Quote:
TPO – Thermal Poly Olefin – was introduced to the RV and Marine Industries in 1994. It is resistant to algae, mold, fungus, and other biological agents. The chemistry of TPO allows for no chalk residue or degradation of the membrane through its useful life. The TPO membranes are non-skid when wet and therefore are used frequently as floor covering in the pontoon boat industry as well. The chemical additives used in TPO for protection from UV light are not self-sacrificing. Instead, they operate in a regenerative fashion as they interfere with the degradation reactions that occur from UV light exposure. Some features of TPO are the advanced polymer technology, weight reduction and easy installation due to its soft and pliable nature. TPO carriers a 12 year manufacturers’ warranty.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote