Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

I have owned both and have had no issues with either. It's the sealant that breaks down and cracks due to all the movement of going down the road. The roof membranes hold up great, that's why the have a 12 year warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Ultimately, I was trying to ask is TPO is a substandard product or is it an improvement?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
I actually prefer it. It is one solid color all the way thru. It does not need to be treated with uv protectant and does not fade. I believe it will last longer, but I have not owned an RV long enough to prove it.

Jason & Wendy
Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

HELP with a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve Strange Slide Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I have owned both and have had no issues with either. It's the sealant that breaks down and cracks due to all the movement of going down the road. The roof membranes hold up great, that's why the have a 12 year warranty.

So would you say you have to seal the vents and openings more that rubber for about the same? Also, what do you use to seal the openings?

Old 05-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
So would you say you have to seal the vents and openings more that rubber for about the same? Also, what do you use to seal the openings?

The same. Makes no difference. The sealent is different. Alpha makes sealent for their roofs. You can also use Dicor for small spots over the top of the alpha sealant, or you can buy Dicor made for tpo. Either way the front and rear caps especially the corners are the biggest problems, then sky lights and vents. For big gaps you can use eternabond tape and then seal the edges with lap sealant.

Jason & Wendy
Old 05-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

I have a Montana now and I preferred the Alpha ply roof on my Sunset trail. The 2016 Montanas are now coming with Alpha roofs as well. I bought to early

Jason & Wendy
Old 05-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #26
Seasonal Camper

I recently posted in General RV Questions about my experience with Alpha Ply. I wish I had taken pictures. The deteriorating wiper seals on two of our slides apparently caused a chemical reaction with the roof material. The roof was bubbled up and actually had holes in it.

You might want to lift the wiper on your slide and check your roof. Fortunately for us, we didn't get water inside.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slick View Post
I recently posted in General RV Questions about my experience with Alpha Ply. I wish I had taken pictures. The deteriorating wiper seals on two of our slides apparently caused a chemical reaction with the roof material. The roof was bubbled up and actually had holes in it.

You might want to lift the wiper on your slide and check your roof. Fortunately for us, we didn't get water inside.

Was it covered by your extended warranty if you had one?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #28
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Was it covered by your extended warranty if you had one?

I didn't even check on it. My rv service guy only charged me for the Eternabond tape. I do have the 2/5 warranty and Route 66 coverage. I always liked the Alpha Ply until I replaced the skylight. Thin as tissue paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 05-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #29
Weekend Camper

One of my possible courses of action that I am trying to research would be to fix the leak/damage (if any) and run as far and fast as I can from this trailer. I get the feeling that, over the last few years, Crossroad ads has lost a lot if that customer service/quality shine everyone was boasting about when we bought ours.....am I wrong???? I'm not sure if it's a POS or we just got unlucky. I don't want to run into major leaks/issues every year due to a sub par unit!!! That being said, I also feel that everything the factory may have messed up can be properly corrected over time......can't it?

One thing we never liked about the Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD is the room in the main bedroom. Can't get dressed in there and have to squeeze between the walls and the bed to get around.....but the 6yr old with his own room was a god send!!!!!

Ultimately, I think a 5th wheel with a bunkhouse, a king size walk around bed in the "master" lots of kitchen cupboard/internal storage, lots of counter space and a roof we can walk on would be the basics.....anyone know of a unit that fits that might list?????

Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #30
Seasonal Camper

This is our third unit. Problems with all three. I get a chapped butt every time something goes wrong......but that's just how the RV industry rolls. I know folks with all brands.....they all have their problems. I suppose the RV manufacturers still pay by piece work. That in itself tends to cause problems. As the old saying goes, "haste makes waste".

I'm gonna work to solve the issues with our Rushmore. I know another new one will result in more issues. Good luck whichever way you decide to go. I'm not sure I wouldn't look at a toy hauler if buying again.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #31
Weekend Camper

I agree that, eventually given enough time and money, all factory defects can be resolved and you will end up with a great reliable trailer and that is one of my considerations. The other options are....

As stated earlier, trade it in to improve some of the things we don't like about our current unit like the main bedroom and not being able to walk on the roof.

Lift it off the wheels, build a deck around it, slap a roof over it and call it a day. This option however now brings up a whole new set of issues now like how hard is it in the unit to not move, how do you keep it from sun fading if it's in the same position all the time, keeping the spiders, webs and mice out of it, security when we are not there etc

Or

"The hybrid".....skip the deck but build the "RV port" high and wide enough that I can back the trailer in and out every year and still take it to our storage lot at the FIL's house.

In the end, I think it will really depend on what it wrong with it and how much damage, if any.....fingers crossed, has been done.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #32
Weekend Camper

Just a follow up to close the loop in case anyone has experienced the same. It turns out that the leak was from the bottom part of the slide where there is a thin bead of caulking on the wall near the wheel covers. If you fin that point you will see it runs the length of the slide.....re-calk that and you should be golden.

As for the leak on the walls, it turns out it may have just been condensation as its not returned