Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hitch Coupler

Is it just me or is the coupler on the sunset trailer a pain to operate. I keep having problems decoupling. What size ball is everyone using ?
wmasscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

TT typically use 2 5/16" ball. Issues coupling with that ball may mean you need to adjust the locking nut on the coupler. If the issue is its too hard to get apart, do you have any grease on your ball? Have you tried adjusting tv to release pressure (ie inch forward or backward)? Sometimes the tt or tv settles on way or another and puts pressure on the coupler so you can't separate, rocking the tv helps.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Ken
Weekend Camper

I just purchased my first trailer back in September after having a Lance camper for 10 years. I have had 5 boats and have never had as much trouble uncoupling a trailer as I did with my Zinger. Well I think on my 3rd trip I realized there is a technique you need to use ( I felt pretty dumb after figuring it out). When taking it off the ball you need to push down the front of the lever then slide it back and then lift the back up. I am not sure if this is what you are talking about and yes you will need to move your TV sometimes to take pressure off of the coupler by moving forward or back.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the help. My other TT was easy to unhook. I will try your suggestions.
wmasscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I don't have trouble with the latch, but my couple chewed the hell out of my ball in the first year. Must have been some welding slag up in there.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I have the same problem. Just took me 5 mins of up/down with the jack and forward/backing of the truck to get it to release. Didn't have this trouble with my other TT.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Well I think on my 3rd trip I realized there is a technique you need to use ( I felt pretty dumb after figuring it out). When taking it off the ball you need to push down the front of the lever then slide it back and then lift the back up. .
...x2...

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have the same problem. We just bought our Cruiser last October and when we brought it home it took us forever to get it off the hitch. I forgot about it during the winter and yesterday when I moved the trail from one side of our driveway to the other I liked to never got that thing off my hitch. I've had boats and 2 other rv's without this trouble. There's got to be a trick to getting it off easier.
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Mine comes right off. If you are used to ones that flip up back to front like most boats etc, these don't work that way. You have to raise the back of the lever up and then it will slide back about an inch. If it doesn't slide back and stay then it is not disengaged and it won't come off.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Mine comes right off. If you are used to ones that flip up back to front like most boats etc, these don't work that way. You have to raise the back of the lever up and then it will slide back about an inch. If it doesn't slide back and stay then it is not disengaged and it won't come off.
X2--then just raise the tongue until it pops off the ball.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Ken
Weekend Camper

Tim said it a little better than I did but play with it before you put it on the truck and you will see how the hitch works. Once you know how to do it you will laugh at yourself because it is so easy. I got so frustrated on my second trip I left the dang thing hooked up, luckily the site was level and big and my wife had her car there for us to use. I figured it out while playing with it before I hooked up for our 4th trip out.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote