Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
New Camper

Hot Water Bypass

New here and new to RVing. We just bought a 2017 Sunset Trail 264BH and the dealer never went over how to de winterize the unit. I have read a lot on line and watched many videos but what I don't know is if and where is my hot water tank by bypass and do I drain it before I fill it for the first time? Thanks
zzoomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I drain what ever water is in the unit prior to winter using an air compressor and opening the lower valves to remove water. The lowest valve in my rig is the water heater. So yes it all should be drained.
Some pump antifreeze, the pink stuff through the system.

Also dump some pink stuff in all drains so the elbow does not freeze. Some in the toilet as well. Do not flush.

You should be able to do a search on this or any forum to find out what others do.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

When I dewinterize, I hook up to city water and turn on all of the faucets until they run clear. I also make sure I open the low point drains to get all of the RV antifreeze out. As far as the water heater, you need to get access to the backside of it as that's where the valves will be. There are four valves on mine. To dewinterize, I have to change the positions of three of them. The fourth is only used when I winterize. The water heater should have been drained at winterization, and you'll need to make sure the drain plug on the front side is installed snuggly. You will get some air through the faucets from the hot side as the air is displaced from the water heater. Hope this helps!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
New Camper

that helps a lot! Thanks
Old 05-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
New Camper

Helps a lot, Thanks
Old 05-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I would drain all antifreeze and flush with water. Then you should put some bleach in the water tank and fill it to the top. Run water out of each faucet and toilet until you can smell the bleach. They say to drive it around for a day but I just leave it in there for a day then drain it all out and flush it a few times with fresh water including the water heater. Then I should be clean and sterile.