Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hot water heater

OK I have had some serious problems..lol..I took my rig into the dealer for some warranty repairs. I filled it full of water and the hot water heater tank filled and when put on gas I could hear the heater humming away. I noticed there was a leak outside on the white drain plug at the heater and one of the low point drains..I tried tightening the white plug but realized it needed some thread tape...I drained the unit and applied thread tape and snugged it up. I still had a drip at low point so back to the dealer I go. They fixed it up (so they said) I said to the service guy, can you please fill it and make sure the heater is working properly and no more drips, yes we did that. Back home it goes. fill full of water..magic..still dripping...Back to the dealer..He said it was one of the corrugated 1-1/2 inlet lines going into the tank..so they cleaned it up and siliconed it and asked me to let it dry for 24 hrs before filling it full of water..So its about 3/4 full (below the inlet line giving the hose time to dry) We go out to our seasonal site (where the rig doesn't move for 4 months) Turn the gas on for hot water, no noise. Turn the electrical heater on for a few hours no hot water...Question is, is there a switch or anything that the dealer would have used or turned on to work on it. Someone mentioned a "off" switch allowing them to winterize it without the heater kicking on????? Help..lol..The pilot should kick on with gas as its auto not a manual light. Could a thermocoupler be shot?
Thanks
RyanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

there will be a small gas shut off on the water heater ,if you look outside. could be a small knob or a slot for a slotted screwdriver .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Is it marked as such? Its outside at the panel or inside on the actual heater? The dealer said to unplug the board outside and blow in it to clean it up and to lightly tap on the gas valve as it may be stuck close not allowing gas through.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

bottom left of the outside panel.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Light one of the burners on the stove to make sure that you are getting propane in the system. If not then check the propane tanks to make sure they are on and have propane in them.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Propane bottles are full, just filled before we left both 30# bottles. I used the bbq last night as its hooked to the units propane.