Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
New Camper

Leaking slide out

I have a 2014 ST31SS and found a ton of water inside the trailer, which had apparently come in through the slide out seal somehow. Unfortunately, it soaked the entire front third of the trailer and everything with it. I also noticed that Crossroads doesn't sell this model anymore. Anyone else have any similar problems?
J_unfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

My ST30RE is currently in storage, but last fall before putting it away, I noticed pools of water on top of the slide while parked with slide closed. I suppose, once I moved the TT, that water would end up on the floor. I checked the top seal and I don't see any issue. I will take it to the dealer before the 1 yr warranty expires in May.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I do not have a ST but on my 5er the bedroom slide has a slight leak when exposed to heavy rain and wind. I also noticed after a heavy rain recently there was water on top of the living room slide. I think the seal was rolled on the living room but the bedroom I just have to keep looking at the seals. Look at every little gap around trim and the seal because water can get in if there is just a small space. Hope this helps or gives you an idea on places to look
Old 03-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have had water on the top of my living room slide as well. it only takes one small piece of debris or dirt under the seal to let water in. sometimes I would sweep off the slide roof and no water would get in, other times it would. solved my problem by getting a slide topper. no more water or debris

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Site Team

In my opinion. For those of you that don't have slide toppers and you are experiencing water on the top of your slide when you bring it in. Just maybe the flap is not folding either in, or out completely when you are extending and retracting your slide.

I check mine every time whether it is going out, or in. I have to admit, most times the flap is not bending as intended and it needs some help.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

In addition to the flap seal, there is also a bub seal on the side of the TT on top of the slide. When the slide is in the bulb seal is compressed by the top flange of the slide. I would think that the bulb seal would be the first defence against water penetration. I will check the orientation of the flap seal when the slide is in though.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
New Camper

I have to say I am extremely impressed and happy with Crossroads. The dealer, Clear Creek RV Center, found that the seals on both slide outs had been installed slightly wrong. Crossroads not only fixed the seals and all of the damage, but they extended their warranty by 3 months AND spotted for slide out awnings on BOTH slides!!! The dealer is spotting for a couple Maxxair vent covers as well.
I have to say that Crossroads does stand behind their product. I really can't ask them to do any more for me. And I didn't have to fight them at all. I called customer service once, spoke to a very nice representative, and my dealer did the rest. Avery impressed.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Sounds great and about time we hear some good things from CR.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I always check the top of all of the slides before retracting them. I learned this when I had a similar problem years ago. No leak, just water ontop of the slide which came down on the floor once I took off. Have a large carwash sponge for this. It happens on many makes and models. Check them even if you have a topper.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I also check the top of the slide before retracting it back in. Use a ladder with a 12' extension handle on a push broom to remove any water or debris. Work it from both ends of the slide if needed. It's a pain but figure it pays off in the long run.
kidsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I now look and clean mine off. Brought it in once with debris. I had to clean it off from the inside and outside and small bits of debris from under seal or should I say the wiper?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Dealer had to order new bulb seals for mine today. He kept telling me he couldn't get it to leak with a water hose so he could find the leak. The water actually had to sit on the closed slide for quite a while and continually run across the top of the slide like it would when it rains for about an hour before it would leak. My slides would not leak when open, but leaked gallons when closed. Crossroads said that is the opposite of what should happen, nonetheless, that is the way it would leak for me. Hope this fixes it...ready to camp. Dealer has had since January.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
A 2014. Camper with water leak. If it was mine I would be on the phone to Crossroads yesterday and have them tell you what to do. I would get it back to them for crossroads to deal with it...
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I ordered my first TT 2 years ago. When it came in to the dealer from the factory the first thing I had them do was install Slide Toppers. Glad I did it this way!
mb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
I had the dealer install one on ours too. We still have a water leak on our left front. 2011 and they are still dealing with a warrenty leak. Had the whole front half off 3 times
Its been in service 7 times for the same water leak. And I just picked it up from crossroads sat. Tarrible caulk job on lower left corner. They are getting a phone call Mon morning.. AGAIN.....
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

If they stop the leak I would stay cool and take a breath. You may need them again.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #17
New Camper

If your unit has the In-wall slide system the water is entering from the slide rails when the slide is pulled in , kick the slide out part way or fully and direct water into the rail as if a heavy driving rain , water will run into the unit at the inside slide seal ! Cheers ! Had to drill a weeper hole into the bottom of each of the 4 rails to so the rails from filling up with water.
Slingshotontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshotontario View Post
If your unit has the In-wall slide system the water is entering from the slide rails when the slide is pulled in , kick the slide out part way or fully and direct water into the rail as if a heavy driving rain , water will run into the unit at the inside slide seal ! Cheers ! Had to drill a weeper hole into the bottom of each of the 4 rails to so the rails from filling up with water.
\

Great Idea! About drilling a hole!
mb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

another leak we had on ours was after it rained there would be a puddle on the bedroom floor, I looked high and low to try and figure out where the leak was coming from. I resealed the corners of the front cap twice and I would still get a puddle. it would come in where the wall meets the floor. after spraying it with a hose and inspecting I found the water was entering the trailer at the outside seam where the wall and bottom skirt meet. the top side of the wall trim seal was missing sealant in a couple spots and it was seeping in behind the trim seal. re caulked and have been dry ever since.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
New Camper

Bulb seals

Just to clarify, this was not water coming in after having the slides out. The slides were already in before it rained. There was a problem with the gap between the vertical and horizontal bulb seal that are affixed to the flange on the slide. A little caulking and it seems to be fixed. The dealer had to put a large sprinkler on my trailer to get it to leak, but it doesn't take all that much to leak. So, I would check your bulb seals, especially and gaps in them.