Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Leaks

We were at the lake for 5 days last week and were woke up by the sounds of a huge storm. The winds were around 40-50 mph coming in off the lake and the trailer was rocking and there was torrential rain for over 2 hours with no breaks in between. We discovered some leaks: 1-behind the stove, 2-the windows, 3-the bedroom floor (no water on the wall or around the window) 4-the vents(bathroom and bedroom), 5-the bathroom door, 6- the bottom bunk mattress was wet but no water on the wall or around the windows. Any ideas where to start, we are now out of warranty. We did have all seals/seams checked by the dealer in February and all was fine. I noticed that there are weep holes in the window frames that held water can those be made larger so the water can drain out better as there was water standing in those channels and I had to keep wiping them out with a towel.

Sorry this is so long, but I need help figuring out where to start. We will be re- caulking everything in the next couple of weeks, what is the best product to use for this chore?

Thanks for your help.

The Duncans
2015 Sunset Trail Reserve ST28BH
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500hd crew cab 4x4
Mr. T and Ms. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Mr.T
With that many suspected leaks I would go to this web site SealTech Manufacturing USA | Industry Standard for RV Leak Detection They might have a dealer that could help you...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks, sleepyT. I will look into this company. With the way the wind was blowing the rain around, all directions, I think some of the windows just need the drain holes opened up for better/faster drainage. The rain was coming down against the TT so hard and fast I don't think the water could drain out fast enough. We are going to look at the area over the stove, it was where the hood vent is and I hope the wind was blowing the water up through the vent. The wind was blowing from the back of the TT, off the lake so hard at times that we had to tighten the vents in the bath and bedroom back down where the wind had lifted the up slightly. My biggest worry it the water on the bedroom floor. The water was only in the bedroom there was none in the front storage compartment. I read another thread on here where I think it was Jason had a similar leak and the problem was at the molding near the bottom of the TT. We are going to start there looking for that problem.

The Duncans
Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have been out 2 times since the leaks occurred and it rained both times. There were NO leaks anywhere. We did check all the seals and caulking. I hope our luck holds.

The Duncans
Old 07-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Leaks

Mr T & Me B
As Tommy suggested Seal Tech is a great program. Not sure where you are located in Al. But RV Connections in Pannama City Fl has the service & we can attest to its value. We have had a few small leaks over the past two years & it is usually put a bandaid here, see if that works, etc,etc. Recently we had a situation similar to yours & decided to give the a try. Within 1.5 hrs they had located leaks around all of our marker lights, seals on front where it meets the roof & sides. Can't be sure that all of those areas were actually leaking but the potential was there. Within an hour all were resealed & so far no further leaks even though we have had some very severe tropical weather.
We are so sold on the program that if we purchased a new trailer we would have the process done to protect the unit from day 1.
You can contact Andrew Cook or Kurt Spradlin @rv connections in pc Fl. Probably the small cost of the service could save you big $$$$$ trying to find leaks that could take numerous trips to a dealer & possibly still not find all of them.
Good luck
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks loogie17. We have had a problem the last couple of times out with the power cord so we are off to the dealer for that. We are going to see if they have some way to check for potential leaks while it is there. We are in Troy and PC is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away but we may have to bite the bullet and give them a call if the dealer doesn't find anything.

The Duncans
Old 07-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Leaks

You are welcome. We are about 2 hrs from pc &it was well worth the drive. Not sure if u know how it works but they close up the unit & pump low pressure air in & spray a mixture of dish washing liquid around all seams, Windows,marker lites, etc & where the leaks are there are bubbles. They then give u the option to have them seal the leaks or diy. Total time for finding leaks & all sealed approx. 2.5 hrs. Very nice people.
Being from Troy you probably know that St Andrews st pk is one of the best parks in the state! There are others that are nice but St A is the standard setter.

Hope it works for you. PM if you have any questions.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Loogie17, I am familiar with St Andrews and yes it is beautiful, however we are lake people not beach people. I have checked rv connections info on the web and it looks like it might be the way to go.

The Duncans
Old 07-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Leaks

We agree, had a cottage on a lake outside of gainesville fl til about 15yrs ago. Still wish we could get back, maybe soon.
By the way where did you purchase your trailer, possibly at bama rv in dothan?
Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Yep Bama rv...how did you know? We love them, they have been great to work with.

The Duncans
Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Leaks

Purchased ours from Victoria & Edward 2yrs ago. 250Rb.didn't have one anywhere close & we had them order for us. Great people, great deal. They moved to north side about 8 mos later. Would & have highly reccomended them every chance we get.
Any good lake rv parks in troy area?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

No places near Troy but we go to Lake Eufaula. There are two COE Cg we love. Cotton Hill in Ft Gaines, GA and Hardridge Creek in Abbevile/Eufaula, AL. Check them out online pretty nice places to stay and just chill. You can see photos of the sites on line. Hope you all can comeup and enjoy some good fishing.

The Duncans
Old 07-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Thanks will check them out. Have stayed at lakepoint a few times but couldn't get on the water. Too bad it is closing next year or so.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

We were there for the fourth, that is where we fish if we only take the boat. I hope that the lawmakers in this state wake up and find the funding to keep these state parks open.

The Duncans