Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
New Camper

Angry Major Roof Issue

We bought a 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS just under 2 years ago. Just noticing this spring that there is a soft spot on the roof near the antennae. Talked to the dealerships in our area and they are quoting up to $4000 to repair this.
I was hoping for better quality?
Is this common?
southpaw414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Have you kept on top of the caulking? There is caulking all over the trailer and this must be checked on a regular basis - at the very least once a year. If the caulking fails (cracks, comes off) then it must be redone. Failing to do so will allow water penetration, and that can be a very expensive problem.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Have you kept on top of the caulking? There is caulking all over the trailer and this must be checked on a regular basis - at the very least once a year. If the caulking fails (cracks, comes off) then it must be redone. Failing to do so will allow water penetration, and that can be a very expensive problem.
Sorry to hear you are having issues like that.

I agree totally with Loneoak tho. Owning a camper means there is a lot of maintenance that goes along with it to keep things in shape.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
New Camper

We definitely checked it over before putting it away for winter and in spring. There were two places we did caulk- around the bathroom skylight (it leaked within a month of purchase) and around the bedroom skylight, mostly as preventative maintenance. I wouldn't say we caulked anymore than that, but definitely checked it over.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I just noted a little bump in the wallpaper behind stove. Wife noted counter wet there while I was washing it. Got to checking and a small spot about 3/8 inch on top of where stove vents out the side the caulk was gone! Point is I agree. You have to stay on top of checking your caulk!

I assume you are out of warranty?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I need to ask if this "soft spot' is in a place you previously had firm roof material or if you just now walked in that area and it flexes. I ask because the roofs are relatively thin plywood and will give a bit when walked on. Mine flexes as well when you step between the trusses and it could be considered a "soft spot".
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Try removing the skylight inside cover and maybe you can take a look into the roof from there. Just a thought.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

The antenna may be screwed into just the 3/16th " luane and not any 'meat' underneath. thus the antenna flexing the roof mat'l.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
New Camper

Thanks will have a look. They won't warranty as we didn't bring it in to be inspected every 6 months.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
New Camper

We had never walked on it, so I'm honestly not sure. We always did caulking/checks/maintenance from a ladder so we didn't notice. It is sorter than the area around it now.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw414 View Post
We bought a 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS just under 2 years ago. Just noticing this spring that there is a soft spot on the roof near the antennae. Talked to the dealerships in our area and they are quoting up to $4000 to repair this.
I was hoping for better quality?
Is this common?
I also have the same problem with my 29 ss . Just picked this trailer up 1 week ago Only to find out that the trailer also has water damage at the antenna area . I have talked to several dealers about the problem plus cross roads in the states they more less told me that there is no warranty
Please let me know what you are doing with the repair
I'm looking at doing a seam joint infront of the ac unit to the front of the trailer
Thanks
Don Billings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Why does a roof that's 2 year's old become a quality issue when it leaks. Sounds more like a maintenance issue to me. Lap sealant does not last forever

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I am not sure about my roof now!!! This is the first day of the second season with our trailer and I just noticed what looks like bubbling for lack of a better explanation. When I used the ladder to look at it...it looks like a dirt trail but I can also see and feel some softer spots almost like a bubble but the are in the middle away from anything like the antenna or air conditioner.

Is it normal to have small softer sections or be able to feel the seam along the roof not completely attached underneath? Outside of that, there are no cracks, nicks or cuts and all the calling seems to be fine

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Site Team

A lot of members here have reported bubbles under the roof membrane. Myself included.
Maybe you want to take pictures of them, document it and send all the info to your dealer and CR.

Keep track of them, if they get bigger then it's time to worry. Mine have stayed the same for as long as I've owned the trailer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thanks....I'll make sure to do that

Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Gsxrgrizz,

We had the same issue and it ended up to be water damage. Crossroads uses a cardboard layer in between the outer shell and the inner wall on STs. When it gets wet it expands.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Hopefully this is not the case but if it is, the extended warranty should cover it as it has only been used 4 months since it was purchased and has only been towed 800km total since new. Twice to our lake property then once home

Old 04-27-2015, 05:21 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Hopefully this is not the case but if it is, the extended warranty should cover it as it has only been used 4 months since it was purchased and has only been towed 800km total since new. Twice to our lake property then once home

No worries, we had all our damaged covered under warranty. We ended up with a new front cap. When did you actually purchase the trailer? Your original warranty covers it if its a year or less. We were out of warranty two months but I sent the pix to customer service explaining it was in covered storage and we didnt have access till May. They covered everything and we had it repaired at the factory service center.

Take pictures and open a case with customer service.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

We bought ours in October 2013 so it's just over the year mark but we do have the extended warranty.

Like I said as well it's went from the dealer to our lake property then home for the winter last year until returning back this weekend....maybe 800km total.

I'll give them a call as ai also am stuck in warranty limbo with my furnace as it won't fire!!! I am out of factory warranty but the furnace is still covered for 1 more year so the extended warranty apparently won't cover it....I never thought you could end up with too much warranty!!!!!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

x2 on the extended warranty. Should pay for itself 2x over if you need roof work.