Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

mystery leak

So I've been discovering the front edge of the slide carpeting is getting wet when its parked and the slide is in, but can't find how its coming in. At first it appeared to be coming in on top of the slide (inside when slide in) and pooling on the rubber membrane until it made its way to the edges and down onto the carpet. I thought the angle it was parked at might have caused it so I reposistioned the trailer and it seemed to stop.

Well we had a bad storm and again the carpet was wet. I looked for any gaps and checked the bulb seals and still can't find the source. I tried tightening the screws on the exterior trim border guards thinking it might be seeping in that way, but still not a clue what the actual cause might be. Could the wind & heavy rain made it past the slide seals?

Anyone have any ideas?
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Is there an exterior light mounted anywhere near the slide? That's where the water came in on my previous 5er. When I took off the light, the hole for the small wires was over an inch in diameter. Patched the hole with eternabond tape, and the top of the light had to caulked and sealed. Did not caulked the bottom of the light just in case any water got in it could drip out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

No, no lights or outlets or anything I can see to allow water in near the slide.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Does the leading edge of the carpet get wet it's entire length? Or just at the ends?
We had a similar problem where water would pool on top of the slide (when retracted only), and would eventually roll off the top onto the floor and carpet when we travelled. It appeared that the water was coming in by the bulb seal. I inspected it but looked fine. Took it to dealer while still under warranty and they said the outside top corner pieces on the slide had screws that were too long and they were interfering with the bulb seal. They ground them off flush. They also reminded me to hold the retract switch for about 5 seconds after the motors stop. I don't think I was always doing that. Seems OK now.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

For the most part its the entire length of the carpet. This last time it seemed yup be more wet in the middle. I'm truly hoping it was just the trailer position & the bad storm/winds that allowed the water in.

We are headed out today for 3 nights and rain projected for the 3rd night so I guess we might find out.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Well searching the underside of the slide I found the lower corners have seals that when pulled back expose the carpet. I'm thinking this could be the spots its coming in from. However, the carpet under the center of the slide (under the central table bench storage area) is wet so still not 100% the slide corners are the culprit.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

these slide will eventually all leak...I put a topper on and have not had a problem with leaks ...(so far)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
these slide will eventually all leak...I put a topper on and have not had a problem with leaks ...(so far)

I totally agree with harley's statement.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have a 2014 32 BH and the small leak is on the front end at the carpet. It has been there since I owned it dury very heavy rains in fact both slides used to leak. Had to dealer twice but still leaks in heavy ran just not as much. Had roof resealed which works in most rain just not monsoon.

I am buying roll outs at $960 installed to solve it. Advice is to roll slides out prior to rain since it never leaked when out.
onlywvu is offline   Reply With Quote