Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New 290QB : Battery Drain

I'm a new owner of '17 Sunset Trail 290QB and I'm looking for some idea on the battery drain issue while the trailer is stored. Radio is always on and friend of mine suggested to install a master battery switch to prevent the drain. I'm not sure about how to go about it. Has anyone done this? Is there a particular brand/model of the battery switch I should buy? How hard was the install? Will this addition in anyway affect the warranty?

Thanks!
sivamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Not only the radio but the propane detector as well will help drain the battery in a matter of a week or so. A simple battery knife switch will work as a disconnect and are easy to install. I went down and bought a marine cutoff switch (20-25 $) and installed that on the wall by the battery. It will not affect your warranty.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Check in your battery compartment and make sure you don't already have a switch. We have a round knob that we turn a quarter turn to disconnect the batteries.

But yes, phantom draws will kill your batteries in a few short days. You can probably turn off your stereo if you hold down the Off button, but you can't turn off your smoke detector, LP detector, and CO detector. If you forget to turn off your fridge, water heater, or water pump any of those could cause a phantom draw too (not so much the water pump though).

If you install the switch yourself, make sure not to interrupt the power to your trailer brakes. Heaven forbid something goes wrong and your emergency cutaway switch needs to engage, it would be a disaster if there were no power to that brake switch.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Most people just put the shutoff switch on the negative side, between the battery and the cable going to the frame. That way, EVERYTHING is turned off. If you're worried that somehow you'll try to drive it like that (with disabled brakes), put a red flag or cord and connect it to your 7-pin plug. When you (or somebody else) tries to plug the 7-pin into a tow vehicle, their attention should be brought to that switch.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Most people just put the shutoff switch on the negative side, between the battery and the cable going to the frame. That way, EVERYTHING is turned off. If you're worried that somehow you'll try to drive it like that (with disabled brakes), put a red flag or cord and connect it to your 7-pin plug. When you (or somebody else) tries to plug the 7-pin into a tow vehicle, their attention should be brought to that switch.
That is what I did to our SST 250RB. I got from Amazon,it is an easy install.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I installed a marine cutoff switch from Eastern Marine. It is a dual battery unit with 4 positions, all off, Batt 1, batt 2, batt 1 & 2.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've ordered this switch, hopefully its sufficient.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the reminder cord from the switch to the plug as I'm bit forgetful.

Thanks everyone!
sivamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

If my trailer wasn't at the dealer getting the front cap painted, I'd add pictures.

I used a Perko marine switch. Simple on/off. Mounted mine on a crossmember at the front. I got a 2 foot long battery cable with eyes already crimped on both ends from my local auto parts store. That way I wouldn't have to have any cables made. I can't remember if I put the switch on the hot or ground cable. Installed it after the batteries were stone cold dead when I picked it up from the dealer last time. No electric jack when it's 103 out sucks.
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVillines View Post
Installed it after the batteries were stone cold dead when I picked it up from the dealer last time. No electric jack when it's 103 out sucks.
The jack should have worked as soon as you plug 7way into the truck..mine works off the truck with no battery in trailer.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I wish it would have, tried that. Even plugged it in and sat in the truck for a bit and got nothing. If that's true, I may need to look at how it's wired. Learn something new everyday! Thank you
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Might have to double check to see if you have power coming out of the truck socket. that is the easiest check. there is a 30a fuse under the hood if you have nothing.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Site Team

On my Ford, the fuse was in the glove box. Had to look under the hood for the correct fuse box that it fit into.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote