Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

New SS289QB - Basic Included Accessories?

We have our new SS289QB on order and I'm anxiously trying to put together my first Amazon order for the basic supplies. I'm curious as to what comes with the camper, I'm assuming power cord, sewer hose and fire extinguisher? What are the lengths? Is a fresh water hose by chance included?

I've gone through all of the online lists, however is there anything specific to the SS travel trailers I should be aware of? Right now I'm focusing on what I'll need to stand it up in the driveway and already have the extended x-chocks, tri-lynx levelers, 15A to 30A adapter, couple of 25' drinking water hoses, water filter and water pressure regulator all in my cart. After that is complete, I'll work on the nice to have items.

Can't wait to get camping, now if it would only warm up!
Denali769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali769 View Post
We have our new SS289QB on order and I'm anxiously trying to put together my first Amazon order for the basic supplies. I'm curious as to what comes with the camper, I'm assuming power cord, sewer hose and fire extinguisher? What are the lengths? Is a fresh water hose by chance included?

I've gone through all of the online lists, however is there anything specific to the SS travel trailers I should be aware of? Right now I'm focusing on what I'll need to stand it up in the driveway and already have the extended x-chocks, tri-lynx levelers, 15A to 30A adapter, couple of 25' drinking water hoses, water filter and water pressure regulator all in my cart. After that is complete, I'll work on the nice to have items.

If you are buying from a dealer , work some of that stuff in or have them give you a discount...probably better than amazon ,plus if you support your local dealer,you may get better service when you need it.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Also get an adjustable water regulator as water pressure can be to high in some campgrounds. A good 30 amp surge protector e.g. progressive. To protect your electronic equip, air conditioner etc
Old 04-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I agree that the surge protector is a must have item. Some dealers do include a (new camper kit) which may include a water hose, black tank chemical and a few more basics. It depends where you purchased it from. If you purchased it from the dealer just north of Green Bay,Wi. the only thing you will get is a 25' shore power cord. They will give you a discount on any items you purchase at there store. An item I would suggest are the Max Air vent covers for your roof vents (and I would leave the vents open slightly when not using the camper to keep it aired out) and also a slide out topper may be another suggestion. The dealer should work with you somewhat on the pricing and installation charges on these items. Enjoy the new camper.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We got our 289 in mid March...actually got two of them. Dealer took the first one back due to serious paint issues discovered.

The only accessory they came with was the power cords. All other hoses and goodies are extra. If you havent settled on a price I'd recommend asking for that to be thrown in...cant hurt to ask.

I've found WalMart to be a really good resource for the hoses and chemicals etc.

Good luck with your 289qb. Do a very thorough walk through and PDI...ask to go up on the roof also. Noticed one of our skylight screws popped causing a crack in the sealant which had gone unchecked would have be a leak disaster.

Best Wishes!
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Congrats on the new RV. Every new RV I have ever purchased came with a "starter" kit. Usually an inexpensive sewer hose with the end that connects to the RV, pack of toilet paper, short fresh water hose (10-15 foot). Some formaldehyde based toilet chemicals. We were offered 25% off anything in the store and Amazon and Wal-Mart were still cheaper than the dealer. Ask your salesman if your new RV will come with a starter kit, if not have them add it to your P&S or "we owe" slip.

As long as you're shopping.........in addition to or instead of what others have suggested, I'd suggest the following.

The sewer hose that comes with the starter kit lasted a while. Duct tape and zip ties do amazing things in a pinch. It will get you through until you decide if you want a Rhino or some other brand. Everything has it's pros and cons. You will probably need a "donut", (rubber sewer hose seal) for the end that goes into the ground if you have a site with sewer. If you are using a dump station, you can just stick the end of the hose in the hole. If you are planning to mainly use sites with W/E/S, I'd get a a clear 45 degree swivel connector because it will go left or right towards the sewer input without having to bend the hose. It also helps to see how clean the water is coming out of the tank. A Camco Sidewinder Sewer Hose Support is handy too.

I don't use toilet chemicals, I use the Geo Method. If you read it, it makes sense. A gallon of inexpensive liquid laundry soap at Wal-Mart is cheap. You can get Rain Drops water softener on Amazon cheaper than Downy. I've never had any problems with odors as long as you use plenty of water which works if you have sewer on site. If you don't have sewer, use the campground bathroom as much as you can. RV toilet paper is a rip off. Any single or double ply that breaks up when agitated in water works fine. Put a few sheets in a jar of water and shake it, if it breaks up, it's good to use.

Geo Method:
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

A 45 or 90 degree brass elbow for the fresh water connection coming off the camper. If the hose is coming straight out, it puts stress on the camper fresh water input connection by eliminating it from pulling it down towards the ground.

I agree about the surge protector. I went years without one, now I wouldn't plug in without one. Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty (Tweetys.com has the best prices). If you can justify it, splurge on the EMS, I had the surge protector only and upgraded to the EMS this year mainly for the A/C units. I had a friend lose two A/C units on a brand new RV last year from low voltage on a seasonal site he has been on for 30 years. Newer appliances in RVs are more sensitive and it also eliminates the need for surge protectors for your electronics, TVs, computers, tablets etc. There are two types of EMS protectors, one is hard wired the other plugs into the campground power and the shore cord plugs into that. Obviously the hard wired one is more money. Either are around $300-$350. Surge protector only is about $125.

Buy an extra charging cord or two for whatever phones you have. That way you can leave it in the camper. I'd suggest buying doubles of things that are inexpensive to avoid having to remember to pack them. Head phones, dog leashes, that kind of thing. A 4-way lug wrench and bottle jack, (if you have a spare tire). A basic tool kit with a hammer, level, measuring tape small screwdriver set with hex bits and one of those square bits that is specific to RV nuts. Drop something in a heating duct and try to take the screws out with a phillips head screw driver.

Just suggestions and things that have worked for me. Otherwise I'd suggest not spending a lot of money at first, walk around the campground and see what other people have and what they like. People may even give you things they have tried and don't like that you may love. I have the X-Chocks and love them. I've never gotten the slide toppers. I know people who won't buy an RV without one. If you live or camp in a windy area, they can flap around and make you crazy. They can fill up with water, sag or be problem free. They make it more difficult to wash the slide roof and maintain the slide seals but protect them from the elements. Pros and cons.

If there are any big items that you want like the slide toppers or hard-wired EMS system you want but you don't feel you can install, get the dealer to do the install before you take delivery.

Sorry for the long post......... One other thing that we find helpful. We have towels and linens just for the camper. The bath towels and hand towels are brown. The kitchen towels are red. The house towels are different color. That way when we are doing laundry, all the brown and red towels just get folded and go back to the camper so we don't have to count and pack.

Again, just suggestions. The most important thing is to have fun. Start a list of things you forgot or think you could use. Don't get sucked into things like egg carriers. If your eggs made it home from the grocery store in your trunk in the cardboard carrier, they will make it to the campground in your RV refrigerator. Think about how many holes you want to drill into your new interior before you buy things like snazzy paper plate holders. Search on YouTube, lots of great videos from campers who are either weekend warriors or full timers. The important thing is what works for you.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali769 View Post

Here is a link to a PDI. Doug's RV Checklist Page
I think it's probably the most important thing you need.
Print it out, take it with when you go to pickup your new rig.
Make sure you and the person doing the PDI with you follow it.
Have fun.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We just picked up our new trailer and they don't provide and sewer hose anymore. They gave us a $20 certificate so we could buy one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We were to take delivery yesterday, however half way through the walk through, when we entered the inside, I quickly noticed that the interior color was incorrect with what we ordered. Fortunately, they had gotten two in and the other one was correct. They stated that the manufacturer had messed up and given them the wrong one. They have to prep the other one yet and we should be getting it Thursday night.

It appears that the only thing our dealer gives us beyond the included power cable is a really cheap sewer hose and a 15/30 electric adapter for plugging in a normal extension cord. Beyond that they offer 10% off on accessories after purchase. While I know it's nice to support the local guys, Amazon has most of the same stuff at almost half the price.
Denali769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgssrs View Post
We just picked up our new trailer and they don't provide and sewer hose anymore. They gave us a $20 certificate so we could buy one.

The good news is you can get what you want. The Rhino flex seems to be very popular. If you search the forums you will probably find a lot of threads on sewer hoses.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRN View Post
The good news is you can get what you want. The Rhino flex seems to be very popular. If you search the forums you will probably find a lot of threads on sewer hoses.
That's true but I needed one right then as we were going straight to a campground. I wanted to use the cheap one until I could research what one I wanted to buy. I wish I would have bought the Rhino flex but they suggested the Thetford Titan for $42 which is only $34 on Amazon. Right out of the box it has a couple spots that will not accordion back in and only springs outward. So it is longer than I need most of the time and I'm a little worried that it will push the end plug out of my bumper.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgssrs View Post
That's true but I needed one right then as we were going straight to a campground. I wanted to use the cheap one until I could research what one I wanted to buy. I wish I would have bought the Rhino flex but they suggested the Thetford Titan for $42 which is only $34 on Amazon. Right out of the box it has a couple spots that will not accordion back in and only springs outward. So it is longer than I need most of the time and I'm a little worried that it will push the end plug out of my bumper.

Drill a hole thru the end of the bumper and end plug and put a pin thru it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Drill a hole thru the end of the bumper and end plug and put a pin thru it.
Good idea.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

You could always do the PVC thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0858.JPG (212.2 KB, 11 views)

Old 05-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
Site Team

I'm not a fan of storing a sewer hose in the bumper. The pvc pipe or just buying a pre made one would be a better choice. Attatched to rv with stainless steel hose clamps. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A04-...SIN=B008OSLU2M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61YGNbIvwoL._SL1500_.jpg (62.5 KB, 12 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I'm not a fan of storing a sewer hose in the bumper. The pvc pipe or just buying a pre made one would be a better choice. Attatched to rv with stainless steel hose clamps. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A04-...SIN=B008OSLU2M
Just wondering what it is that you don't like about using the bumper?

Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
Site Team

Has a tendency to rust inside and when you pull and push the hose in and out, it wears it away. Had two hoses, not cheap, go bad like that. Ended up looking like the sewer dump scene from RV.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Has a tendency to rust inside and when you pull and push the hose in and out, it wears it away. Had two hoses, not cheap, go bad like that. Ended up looking like the sewer dump scene from RV.[emoji38]
Oh I see. I've always had short cheap hoses that slid in easy and I did get a couple small holes in them.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Has a tendency to rust inside and when you pull and push the hose in and out, it wears it away. Had two hoses, not cheap, go bad like that. Ended up looking like the sewer dump scene from RV.
I cut a length of 3" pvc in half lengthwise and put that inside the bumper to eliminate the wear on the sewer hose. It is also available to support the hose if needed.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

I kept mine in a rubber maid container in the truck bed, not the bumper when I was traveling. Then I rinsed the whole thing at the dump station. Every so often at home I would fill the container with hot soapy water and stir with a stick, let it sit and rinse well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sewer Hose Storage.jpg (18.1 KB, 42 views)