Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

So very stoked about our new 32RL coming. Two things I need advice on..... Diamondkotefor $900 and 6 year extended warranty for $2400. Thoughts anyone? I've heard the 'put the money inrainy day account' story 100 times. Any solid advice would be awesome
Wicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

p.s. - dealer is 4 hours away
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

congrats on the new TT. may it bring you many happy trips. we skipped the extras. Don't regret it yet but our warranty just expired in jan.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I want to take possession in the spring, dealer wants me to sign and pay now and they will 'store' it for free until then. But........ factory warranty to start the day we pay for it according to them. I can talk my way out of that one but the extended warranty has me miffed as I am NOT driving 8 hours for work. I assume my local 'non-crossroads'dealer will be happy to do warranty work if needed???????
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Site Team

If you can't use it any more this year, why buy it now??
You will be able to buy it, or something else next spring and then you will have your full warranty.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

don't buy until you are ready although prices will likely be higher in the spring. Yes your warranty will start with the day purchased. All crossroads warranty will probably need to be done through an authorized shop. Extended warranty probably through one of their shops. some people wait and buy the extended warranty when regular warranty runs out.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Price obviously goes up on the warranty next year if I purchase then? A local RV dealer say they honour extended warranties, waiting to hear back on that for sure.Can I buy an extended warrantyelsewhere? Keep in mind, we're from Canada but.... live 5 minutes from Buffalo.Thoughts on Diamondkote also???????
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We purchased a 6 yr extended warranty when we purchased our 2013 ST30RE this year. We are in Canada so it was pricey ($3000 tax in). Purchased SAL Group warranty. Decidedyems. to buy it because there are so many electrical/mechanical gadgets on this trailer I it just scares us (jacks, stabilizers, power awning, fireplaces, Swhwintec slide system). We bought the superior coverage whoch includes the slide out and some other features like towing, hotel, etc.

Not sure if it will pay off. REMEMBER, most extended warranties cover I "mechanical" breakdowns only. So roofs, walls, leaks, frame, and windows not covered.

Most RV shops in Canada will honour our warranty, but if we take it to the selling dealer the deductable is waived.

Also, I know if I put $3000 in a rainy day account it may not still be there when and if I needed it :-).
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We purchased a ST32RL back in May about 11 hours away from home and purchased the extended waranty (6 years) when we got it. Local dealer here in Fredericksburg VA. said he will do the warranty work, but will put us behind local customers who purchased locally. Seems fair. If i need work done in June,likely a long wait, but ifIplan aheadand schedule my warranty work in say feburary (assuming it's something that's not goingto stop me from using the trailer) thenI should be ok. At least that is the plan. I was told that the dealer who sellsyouthe warrantypolicy is actually theone who "pays" for the work anyway. I was talking to the General Manager of thecenter i purchased the unit from andhe said it basically works like this........
The warranty center isonly there so you have a 24/7 access to call to get info/approval of issues but the real cost behind repairs are paid for from the dealer who sold you the policy. For example, when you need a part or item serviced at another dealer thecost of that is actuallypaid forfromthe dealer you purchased the trailer from, not the warranty company. The warrenty company is simply paid a onetime fee (small amount) for being thereto proceed paper and answerphones.The dealer you purchased your unit from is the one that really needs to be the one you trust and know will stand behind the warranty. Call them directy and have them work with the local dealer and agree to fund/pay for anything that is needed. Dont leave it to the warrenty company to decide. that's what i have done and it seems to work.A couple of weeks ago we were on theroad to a Penn State game and the sway bar came offthe hitch. called the dealerdirectly and had them find a localtrailer/hitch company whereI wasand got everything taken care of. They provided an credit card over the phone and cover the cost 100%.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

hey Wicky ...if you buy now ,the warranty expires next year just before you store it for the winter ....If you wait and buy it in the spring, then the warranty will expire the following year in the spring right after you take it out of storage..
you still only get one summer usage...

If you get it now , you may have a chance to fix some of the minor things the factory missed or personalize it before you camp..

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote