Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
New Camper

Odd Smell

This is going to be our 3rd season with our Sunset Trail. We bought it in 2013 brand new but we are finding a smell when we first go in the trailer but then I guess we get used to it and we don't smell it anymore until we are home. We are finding a really bad strong smell on all of our clothes or bags, or food when we leave to come home. We have tried washing everything down with disinfectant. We have sprayed the walls and everything. We have left the vents open for months especially over the winter hoping it will take out the smell but nothing. We have also left bounce sheets in all of the cupboards. I hate to smell this all over everything. I went up to our trailer to get our walkie talkies to bring with us on our trip and they even smelled like the smell in the trailer. Does anyone have any ideas what we could do or what it could be
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Team

What has worked for many----(if we ever get a warm/hot few days that is.)

Set the trailer in the direct sunlight, pour ammonia in a few pie pans and distribute thru out the trailer. I set about three on the floor in different areas. Close the trailer up, meaning all windows, doors and over head vents closed. Leave it sit like that for about three days. Then open her up and air it out and remove the pans of ammonia. It should take care of the new trailer smell.
It helped ours and others that I know who tried it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Coley, you are probably smelling a chemical called formaldehyde. It is likely present in the particle board, furniture, carpet, and cabinetry used in your RV.

And, depending on who's opinion you reading, it can be hazardous. At the very least, it is unpleasant.

You can buy commercial products to reduce/lessen the odor. (Not sure anything can REMOVE it because it leeches from the products as a gas.) Others recommend just opening the doors, windows, and vents so that you get air circulation. Over time, just airing out the RV will likely lessen the odor to the point it is no longer an irritant or hazard.

Hope this helps.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Is it even legal anymore for manufactures to use formaldehyde in their products?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Is it even legal anymore for manufactures to use formaldehyde in their products?
Kinda a long article but the short answer is yes. While acceptable exposure levels are being reduced the main health risks are for the people that work around the stuff. In case you want to read:

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/hes...rmaldehyde.pdf
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Absolutely. Bought a pair of jeans lately? Same smell as we had in our Hill Country when we bought it. That's why I always wash new clothing before I wear them.

What's interesting is the amount of permissible concentration of the gas that is released. It seems to vary depending upon who's yardstick is being used.

Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Kinda a long article but the short answer is yes. While acceptable exposure levels are being reduced the main health risks are for the people that work around the stuff. In case you want to read:

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/hes...rmaldehyde.pdf

Hmmmm, I was under the impression it had been outlawed. That article kinda proves me wrong.
Thanks for posting that.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCowboy View Post

You can buy commercial products to reduce/lessen the odor. (Not sure anything can REMOVE it because it leeches from the products as a gas.) Others recommend just opening the doors, windows, and vents so that you get air circulation. Over time, just airing out the RV will likely lessen the odor to the point it is no longer an irritant or hazard.

Hope this helps.
What kind of cleaner? can you name a few that we could probably use? I am in Canada BTW so I can't get a lot of items that are only available in the US.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
What kind of cleaner? can you name a few that we could probably use? I am in Canada BTW so I can't get a lot of items that are only available in the US.
This the Coley that was in Terrace BC back in Nov
Old 03-09-2016, 03:50 AM   #10
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiveon View Post
This the Coley that was in Terrace BC back in Nov
No sorry.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Coley, I have no specific recommendations. I'm in the "vent it until it doesn't smell" camp.

I just did a Goggle search and there are quite a few products available that might help.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

There are several other threads that discuss this issue with Crossroads products.

Just do a forum search for "odor smell"
CanukCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

It seems to us that this persistent and reoccurring odor attaches itself to some types of plastic. We ended up washing the ENTIRE RV interior with OdoBan; http://www.odoban.com/ . We washed the walls, ceilings, floors, doors, closets inside and out, drawers inside and out, cabinets inside and out. The worst problem was the pantry as the black plastic vent pipe sucked up the smell so we sealed in the smell with waterborne polyurethane. We now keep those cabinet and pantry doors ajar as well as the dresser drawers.

Prior to camping we run an air purified with an Ionizer feature and it seems to help as well.

We got very aggressive and used Biocide Systems RV Shocker Interior Deodorizer. You will need to mix this concoction and vacate the RV allowing this chemical to perform its magic.

Condensation may be an issue so we use Damp Rid devices in the closets and dressers. They make units that hang in the closet between your clothing, small units that sit on shelves just be very careful with the liquid that they produce. Condensation precipitates when the temperature is in the low 30º F, so keep storage areas warm. Keep the air moving inside the RV with a fan and vent moisture at the source; use the kitchen fan anytime you are cooking and use the bathroom vent anytime you are running hot water. Now we keep the interior temperatures up and ceiling vents cracked open (Hot air holds more moisture than cold air, so vent at the ceiling).

Good Luck
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

My wife just mentioned the plastic smell in the bathroom. This model has the two vents that run from the bathroom to the rear of the outdoor kitchen (backs to the small fridge in the outdoor kitchen).

She considers it part of the "new smell".

Not really much can be done for that, I guess.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCowboy View Post
My wife just mentioned the plastic smell in the bathroom. This model has the two vents that run from the bathroom to the rear of the outdoor kitchen (backs to the small fridge in the outdoor kitchen).
Do not block those vents , but take them off and add a screen behind them and put back on. Keeps bugs out.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote