Old 01-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Opinions on Sunset Trail brand and SS291RK

Hello, everyone. My wife and I are new to this luxury camping thing, and are looking at a Sunset Trail Super Light SS291RK. We've been to several different dealers, and looked at tons of floorplans from most of the major brands. We have a half ton with a ~7k tow rating, so we need to stay light, and we both really like the rear kitchen floor plans because of the extra seating and counter space you get.

We're going this weekend to look at a 2017 SS291RK in stock at a dealer a few hours away from us, and I wanted to reach out to you all for an honest opinion of the Sunset Trail brand, and if anyone has the 291RK, what your experiences have been. Thanks, all!
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have the 2016 ST29SS. No major issues and trailer seems to be built well. I would check the weight as mine is 6200 dry and my ram 1500 with 3:55 gear ratio struggled on any sort of incline. I've recently upgraded tv to f250 with 3:73 gear ratio. If you are rated at 7k I wouldn't attempt to tow anything that wieghs more than 5k dry IMO.
CampBannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the input. The weight on the 291RK is 5600 and change, so I'm pretty confident with the towability. The truck has a modified fuel and shift point map when towing, and we pack light. Plus we'd stay in the southeast most of the time, and it's unfortunately pretty flat down here.

How long have you had yours? Any experience with their warranty claims or customer service?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.
We have a Cruiser 31RK (basically the same layout), the only thing we found that is a pain, is that you cannot open the fridge without the slide fully extended. Other than this one issue, the layout is great.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2013 ST29SS and while the factory listed dry weight is 5689#, the actually weighed dry weight sticker on the trailer is 6480#. With full propane and modestly loaded I set around 7000#. I do like the trailer a lot and have had no real problems with it.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampMacKay View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum.
We have a Cruiser 31RK (basically the same layout), the only thing we found that is a pain, is that you cannot open the fridge without the slide fully extended. Other than this one issue, the layout is great.
That's a good point. What functions can be used, say, if the batteries are dead but it's hooked up to the trucks tow harness? I'd imagine the truck alternator couldn't provide enough amperage to move the slide?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

When you go to look at the trailer, there should be a label affixed to the inside of a cupboard door, that lists the 'as is weight' when it left the factory. It should also list all the appliances installed with serial numbers noted. Any optional equipment's weight will be included in this number, but will need to be added on to the weight shown on the Crossroads web site.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
I have a 2013 ST29SS and while the factory listed dry weight is 5689#, the actually weighed dry weight sticker on the trailer is 6480#. With full propane and modestly loaded I set around 7000#. I do like the trailer a lot and have had no real problems with it.
That claimed dry weight is right on the listed weight of the 291RK, and your actual numbers are still in range for us... Thanks for the heads up...I definitely need to keep an eye on that. One of the dealer's I went to actually weighs their trailers and posts actual as-shown weights, but they didn't have the one we're looking for.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Consider the affects of wind on the trailer

I just started pulling a trailer last year. We watched the weight very carefully, talked to several dealers about pulling capacity and was assured that my Toyota 4Runner would pull my 4000 pound trailer. The 4Runner was rated to pull 5000 lbs.

It did actually pull it, very slowly and then when the wind kicked up a little the SUV just struggled. So much so I cut my first trip short turned around came home.

The point being, you may be disappointed trying to pull a 6000 lb trailer with a truck rated for 7000 pounds. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Glen Carbon, IL
www.fickstravels.com
Dennisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisf View Post

The point being, you may be disappointed trying to pull a 6000 lb trailer with a truck rated for 7000 pounds. Hope you have better luck than I did.
My thoughts exactly.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote