Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #41
Seasonal Camper

I really dont understand everyones issue with this. If you have used a small basin to wash dishes outside, what do you do with the water? You arent carrying it to a drain in the campground bathroom. You dump it in the grass or toss it into the woods.
Whats the difference with this?
If it really bugs you is it so hard to run a short length of hose to a small tank, or your portable honey pot, to drain it?
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #42
New Camper

We use a bucket to catch the water and then use that bucket at the end of the night to put out the campfire. We use the outdoor sink minimally for rinsing or washing hands.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #43
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
I really dont understand everyones issue with this. If you have used a small basin to wash dishes outside, what do you do with the water? You arent carrying it to a drain in the campground bathroom. You dump it in the grass or toss it into the woods.
Whats the difference with this?
If it really bugs you is it so hard to run a short length of hose to a small tank, or your portable honey pot, to drain it?
The metro parks in my area do have a " no dumping gray water on ground" posted in their campground rules. They do expect you to dump dish water at the bathroom slop sinks. Just say-in
Reese DC
Old 10-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #44
Weekend Camper

I have a 32BH and the outdoor sink drains into the black tank. Just run water from it when black tank is empty and you will see it. I have a clear view on my discharge connector
Old 10-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #45
Weekend Camper

I have 2016 30 RKS with the outside kitchen and the sinks drains on to the ground. The 2nd grey tank for the kitchen is right there but nope, Crossroad thinks the waste water should go on the ground. Most states and camp grounds will arrest or throw you out for that violation. I removed the slider containing the sink, cook top. It is now a great storage area.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #46
Weekend Camper

Most states can fine you for dumping grey water on the ground. Same reason you don't swim in the lake with a bar of soap to take a bath. That is why camp grounds have a sink, dish washing area. On my 30 RKS the grey tank is literally right under the outside kitchen sink. Either pipe it to the tank or don't put the sink in the trailer. No brainer..........
Old 10-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #47
Weekend Camper

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't think that was legal.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #48
Seasonal Camper

Did you guys ever camp in a popup? All the ones I've ever owned have had an external drain for the small sink inside. You as the owner are expected to put a tank under it and dump it at the waste station. No biggie.
No difference here.
2015 ST270BH
Old 10-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #49
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Did you guys ever camp in a popup? All the ones I've ever owned have had an external drain for the small sink inside. You as the owner are expected to put a tank under it and dump it at the waste station. No biggie.
No difference here.
I disagree. This may be the expectation with a pop-up (never owned one) but even my outside kitchen sink drains to the gray water tank. The standard is not to drain your grey water onto your campsite or have to deal with buckets.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 10-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I disagree. This may be the expectation with a pop-up (never owned one) but even my outside kitchen sink drains to the gray water tank. The standard is not to drain your grey water onto your campsite or have to deal with buckets.
I fully agree.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #51
Site Team

It's really a disgrace that Crossroads would not have it drain into a gray tank. Where is their responsibility to being "green'?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #52
Seasonal Camper

How is it less green to expect you to use a separate container? Are thousands of popups less 'green' because they lack an on board grey tank?
2015 ST270BH
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #53
Site Team

Yes, they are less green in my opinion. We're not talking about a $8000 pop up. We're talking about Rv's costing from the $30's to the $65,000. I EXPECT it to plumbed in the proper way, not discharging onto the ground. A separate discharge container on that expensive of an Rv?? Let's get real.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 10-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #54
Seasonal Camper

What 65K model have we discussed that had this setup? We're talking about a simple tiny outside sink. You aren't washing dishes in it. Maybe rinse your hands or a cup.
Is it just me or would all this effort be better spent on real issues like bad axles and leaking roofs?

And i'm sure many of us do use a 'separate discharge container' on our expensive RVs from time to time. Usually they roll though.
2015 ST270BH
Old 10-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Yes, they are less green in my opinion. We're not talking about a $8000 pop up. We're talking about Rv's costing from the $30's to the $65,000. I EXPECT it to plumbed in the proper way, not discharging onto the ground. A separate discharge container on that expensive of an Rv?? Let's get real.
I have to totally agree with you Mark.

Quote:
What 65K model have we discussed that had this setup? We're talking about a simple tiny outside sink. You aren't washing dishes in it. Maybe rinse your hands or a cup.
Is it just me or would all this effort be better spent on real issues like bad axles and leaking roofs?

And i'm sure many of us do use a 'separate discharge container' on our expensive RVs from time to time. Usually they roll though.

Burgy, There is no way I would knowingly buy or own an RV with the outside kitchen that the grey water drain went out on the ground. If they can't plumb it into the grey tank, then they shouldn't have it on the RV.
In today's world that is a no-no, and like stated in one of the previous posts, illegal in some states. There is no way Cross Roads or anybody else can justify a screw up like that.

I don't care if you are only rinsing a cup or washing your hands. The next camper that pulls into that site doesn't know what was just run out on the ground. Lets face it, not everybody is going to have a jug there catching it.
YUCK!
Old 10-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #56
Weekend Camper

My outdoor kitchen sink drains to the outside as well. Not a big deal as I actually prefer this. Its GRAY water. No different than using the outside shower. If you use the shower inside, its GRAY water. So what's the difference? None.

Many places are now capturing gray water to use for non-potable purposes such as watering gardens and such. So why all the worry about it?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #57
Site Team

For one thing, I think it is very disrespectful of your fellow campers that follow. How does anybody know what was dumped on the ground? I have pulled back out of sites that had an obvious wet spot from some liquid being deposited.
Hopefully you guys that have one of these CR screw ups aren't trying to justify it simply because you have one.

You are correct that many places are capturing grey water for reuse, but as far as know, WI. isn't one of them.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #58
Seasonal Camper

If this was black water I could easily see your point. But its not.

And frosty is right. Outside shower is grey. What about the extra hose I hang off the water spigot? I wash a few pots and pans sometimes. AND, I've even dumped the water from my Coleman grill on the ground after I'm done using it.
Any of that is going to make you ask for another spot?
2015 ST270BH
Old 10-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #59
Site Team

Yup.
Especially not knowing what was dumped there. I don't like camping in other peoples -- what ever it might be.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #60
Site Team

Bottom line is:
  1. Every campground I've camped in for many many years does not allow you to dump onto ground
  2. This is very true in our State Park system.
  3. Whether you want to admit it or not, Crossroads, and every other rv manufacturer that does not drain it into a gray tank are just too cheap or too ill informed about what the regs are at many campgrounds.
  4. Is it a big deal that should not be discussed here? Not a big deal to some but others don't like it. This is a discussion forum for any and all rv related issues.
  5. We do have discussions about axles and leaky roofs.
  6. I expect my rv not to need a discharge container. That's why they have gray tanks.
Boy, this has really turned into a popcorn topic.

Closed Thread

Tags
hose, outdoor kitchen, sink, train