Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Outside TV

I feel REALLY needy and appreciate all the help so far from everyone here!!! My next question is has anyone had any luck using the outside TV? We were trying to watch the game yesterday off the satellite but could not make it work at all. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Not sure if the reserve models have them in different locations but there is a black box at the rear of mine that has 2 cable jacks, one is satellite other is cable. You have to try both to see which is which. I have connected campground cable to that to get cable channels to interior TV. Now on the side where the exterior TV mount goes there is another cable jack box with 2 jacks. I haven't tried that yet to see if the rear connection sends signals thru all jacks in the camper (back bunks & outside) or not so you may need to connecting your satellite there first then run another short cable from outside mount area to TV. Hope that makes sense, couldn't figure out another way to explain
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

On our old unit you can only run cable or antenna on the out side hook up
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Yes only cable or antenna. The left side of the outside hookup is for cable and the right for satellite. The problem sounds like you may the the antenna booster on which will make the cable not work. The booster switch is usually above the TV and has a little red light indicating it's on. It with the plugs where the TV plugs in. Red light on for antenna and off for cable. Then you need to let the TV run a search for channels which takes a few minutes.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

OK, I did have the light on so I guess I was running off the antenna. I was not aware that turning it on meant you were now running off of that only.

My trailer has two connections at the rear of the unit. The one to the left is Satellite and the one to the right by default would be cable. On the outside slide near the main entry door there is only one connection I can screw the cable into which I am assuming is also the cable connection as apposed to satellite. What I would like to do is watch Satellite outside as we do not have cable at our lake lot. Would I be correct in assuming that I could just hook the satellite cable to the "cable" side on the right allowing me to watch satellite outside???
Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
I feel REALLY needy and appreciate all the help so far from everyone here!!! My next question is has anyone had any luck using the outside TV? We were trying to watch the game yesterday off the satellite but could not make it work at all. Thanks again!!!!!
On mine the satellite connection only goes to the main TV. Nowhere else. You would have to move the satellite receiver to the outside tv and hook the dish up to it.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
OK, I did have the light on so I guess I was running off the antenna. I was not aware that turning it on meant you were now running off of that only.

My trailer has two connections at the rear of the unit. The one to the left is Satellite and the one to the right by default would be cable. On the outside slide near the main entry door there is only one connection I can screw the cable into which I am assuming is also the cable connection as apposed to satellite. What I would like to do is watch Satellite outside as we do not have cable at our lake lot. Would I be correct in assuming that I could just hook the satellite cable to the "cable" side on the right allowing me to watch satellite outside???
Don't think that will work, sorry. Although the connections looks the same they are not compatible.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

From the factory our unit only had satellite to the main living room. All other TV's showed Antenna only picture. I expressed my disappointment to the dealer and they added a very simply A/B switch box. Works like a charm.

My DirectTV comes in from the roof to my winegard Travl'r box. The OUT of that simply plugs into the A/B switch box.

My Antenna main IN also goes into the A/B box.

The OUT from the A/B switch box goes into the main coax hub that connects all the TVs.

If I press the "A" button, ALL TV's (outside too) show the DirecTV.
If I press the "B" button, ALL TV's (outside too) show the Antenna.

Works perfectly and very cheap and easy to install.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

What you are talking about is called a KVM switch. It's actually a great idea and would work perfectly...it's exactly what I'm looking for.

You stated.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
The OUT from the A/B switch box goes into the main coax hub that connects all the TVs.
Is that the coax connection on the outside of the trailer in the back? Did the dealer wire it in (hidden wires) for you or is it something you set up when you want it?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
What you are talking about is called a KVM switch. It's actually a great idea and would work perfectly...it's exactly what I'm looking for.

You stated.....

Is that the coax connection on the outside of the trailer in the back? Did the dealer wire it in (hidden wires) for you or is it something you set up when you want it?
To be clear, a KVM switch stands for Keyboard Video Mouse, this is slightly different.
The switch I used is a simple COAX A/B switch box. It literally has and A and B switch.

I simply took the output from the wingard satellite box and plugged it into the A port input.
Then I took the main Antenna feed and connected it to the B port input.
Then I took the single output and connected it to the main coaxial hub that sits behind the access panel near the main TV. The hub was in place by crossroads, but nothing was "hidden". As soon as I took the access panel off, everything was there.

Start to finish was about 45mins and I consider it a permanent install. It would be easy to remove, but I can't think why I would remove it.

Cheers.

Matt.

2013 Elevation 3912
2017 Dodge RAM 3500HD Dually with AISIN
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote