Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I could have sworn when we got our new orientation on the trailer they told us that the front levelers were not independent of each other. When one side is level, you need to put wood or boards under the other side to make them the same height. Same with the back levellers.
The reason I ask is that last weekend, when I was putting down the back levels, the one on the right stopped when it hit the ground and the one on the left continued to lower until it hit the ground. This leads me to believe they are independent of each other, which makes much more sense to me. Any thoughts?

JanieRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

http://www.lci1.com/pressroom/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=catego ry&id=24:leveling-and-stabilization&Itemid=556

The Electric Stabilizer Jacks PDF clearly states

they adjust independently to one another. However, I too was told to chalk up

to make up uneven ground difference. Perhaps someone here can shed some light

on exactly how these electric stabilizers work, and if they do auto adjust how

much difference is acceptable without causing harm??
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />I searched Lipperts website for more detailed info and could not find anything talking about this.</span>

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Pretty slick actually. The first time I saw it I figured I had to run it down until one touched and then block up the other. Not so. When the first one touches the jack frame slides over until the other touches and then they both go up evenly. Of course there are limits as to how much it can correct itself but if it's that far off then a few blocks will correct it.

Next time you use it look up under trailer and watch it slide over to correct itself.

Somebody had their thinking cap on when they figured that out.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

During our PDI, the dealer showed us that the leveler legs will automatically adjust to uneven surfaces. He stuck a block under one side and lowered the levelers and it was pretty slick how they adapted to the challenge. Based on what I saw, I wouldn't worry about getting your surface perfectly level.

As you probably know, they won't level a trailer that isn't already level. They'll only adjust to an uneven surface below.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
New Camper

This may be a silly question but where is the switch to work the electric jacks? Is there a remote control? The sales person we talked with today informed us that both slides lower at the same time but did not work independently as you point out in this post. This is better in my opinion.

Oldcow

Oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagex

http://www.lci1.com/pressroom/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&amp;view=catego ry&amp;id=24:leveling-and-stabilization&amp;Itemid=556

The Electric Stabilizer Jacks PDF clearly states

they adjust independently to one another. However, I too was told to chalk up

to make up uneven ground difference. Perhaps someone here can shed some light

on exactly how these electric stabilizers work, and if they do auto adjust how

much difference is acceptable without causing harm??</span>
I searched Lipperts website for more detailed info and could not find anything talking about this.

Did you buy from Guarantee RV?
wikdslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

To elaborate on it, it's called a "worm gear" system, where the threaded rod that is operated by the motor and thus moves the pads downard, is floating, so when 1 side reaches tension, it will then shift the actual rod further away from that side to allow the other pad to continue travelling.
Once both pads reach equal (ish) tension, then they will apply pressure to stabilize.

I too was told to just add wood under the low side, and that my jacks were used to do the last bit of levelling on the trailer.
Was told by the sales person, the service guy who set me up, and the service manager.

They were all wrong.

Since then, no one has done much of anything for me, other than hang up the phone or offer me a terrible price on a set of independent stab jacks.

Yay for dealerships who don't give a damn!

wikdslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

wikdslo is right. To see how they work, put a block under one side to make uneven (maybe 4") crawl under there and have someone press the button. Once one leg bottoms out you will see the worm gear shaft actually slide left or right a few inches to even out the pressure. If you notice on the motor there is an excess of wire around it and you can watch the motor move back and forth a few inches sort of on a track with the worm gear. Quite a simple set up once you 'see' how they work.
When I set up if the terrain is extremly uneven I will block one side, but generally I don't need to.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Its amazing how much torck these motors have, a freind had returned from a weekend out and he always set his jacks, his camper is in a closed in shed. A few days later he went ot get something in shed and his camper tires were off the ground and was leaning on the perlings. The switches had stuck and would lifta little then cut out on overload then reset. He had dealer come out just so they would beleive him.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote