Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Today I picked up our new 20CK and hooked up the truck. On the way home, I noticed that when I hit the brakes the trailer brakes would activate, as expected, but they would seem to pulsate as certain speeds. Similar to the feeling of warped rotors on a vehicle.

It's worse the harder you use the brakes, and seems to be worse after you slow to 25 mph and slower. Sometimes it's worse than at other times. If you slow slowly, light on the brakes, it's hardly noticeable.

Since it's a short trip home, I don't have any more characteristics to share, or details.

Could this be caused by new trailer / brakes?

Anyone else notice this with their new trailer?

I'll add that I had the dealer service tech ride with me and he said that the magnets were not shorted and seemed to be functioning correctly. By watching the brake activator setting, he noticed that it was not changing as I pushed on the brakes, so no electrical shorts. When I bring it back to them on Monday, they will check it out further and maybe call Lippert for input.

Mike

mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It sounds like your controller may not be adjusted correctly.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I adjusted the controller up and down to see if that resolved the issue but no luck. This is the same controller that was used with our previous trailer and I never noticed this when towing that trailer.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

It could be that the brakes are just not properly seated yet (formed to fit the drum). If the dealer finds nothing wrong, you might get the complaint in writing and use the rig for a few trips to see if the condition improves.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would also check for grease on brakeshoes.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Inoticed the same thingwhen I picked up my new Slingshot. I read on here about how to seat the brakes with a series of stops and problem has gone away!
AvyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Rob. That's what I'm hoping for. If not, I'll follow up with some of the other suggestions here.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Well I took my Sunset Trail 29RL on its maiden trip this week. about 300 miles I noticed that when I would slow down to about 30mph and had the brakes appliedthe left rear brake is locking up and the tire is smoking from the tire skidding on the pavement. I have notice that there is a small amount of grease/lubercant of some kind that has run down on the wheel. Could I have a grease seal that may be blown and letting grease get on the drum or something causing it to lock up? I havent got a reply from my dealership to discuss the issue. Any suggestions? If its something that I might be able to fix myself it might be less expensive than having to make two trips to the dealership which is about 140 miles one-way.
Thanks
Kymedic513

Madisonville, KY

'12 Sunset Trail Reserve, 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram MEGA CAB Cummins 6.7 Diesel
kymedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Noticed the same pulsating on my new Sunset Trails RV only at slow speeds. I've only got about 300-350 miles on it so far, so I thought I would give it some time yet. Adjusting the controller didn't make a difference.

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Follow up from last post. I checked with the dealer and they advised that in my case I probably have a brake that may be adjusted too tight. they suggested that I adjust the brake on the wheel that is locking up. There is a video on Youtube that explains how to adjust your brakes on an RV. It's really fairly simple. A brake adjusting tool which is a glorified wide flat head screwdriver will do the trick. they are relatively inexpensive or just use a regular screwdriver. If you feel uncomfortable to do it yourself, the dealer suggested that you could take your TT to most any tire dealer and they could make the adjustment for you. It would be nice for the TT dealership to adjust this under warranty, since mine is so far away, it is less expensive and time consuming for me to make the 140 mile trip.
Thanks,
Happy camping to everyone

Madisonville, KY

'12 Sunset Trail Reserve, 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram MEGA CAB Cummins 6.7 Diesel
kymedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Had a similiar problem with my 2012 30RK. Pulled it home 2 weeks ago, and after 100 miles, as I slowed down to 10 mph, or so, I had the pulsating feeling too. Called the dealer and they gave a few reasons as what could be causing it. As the pulse developed after I had driven a few miles, they discounted the controler. They said bring her in. Found dirty shoes, dust to be expected, but some grease too. Cleaned and adjusted them and the problem has been eliminated.

Gary
tri5ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Do you have the same problem if you apply the brakes with the over ride lever? If you do it is not the controller but something in the trailer brakes. If you do find grease on any of the brake shoes the only fix is a new grease seal, clean the drums with brake cleaner and new shoes. Grease contaminated brake shoes can not be cleaned and work properly.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I have the same pulsating with my new 25rb '13. only went 90km , but it went 9 hrs from the factory to the dealer and 5 hrs back to my place, so the brakes should be "broke in"
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Our problem ended when we bought a new F150 with a built in brake controller. Now, very smooth braking.
https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg