Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have had 3 rear landing jack motors burn up in the past 2 weeks. Has anyone have any suggestions for what the dealer might be missing. Is the front and rear somehow linked together? Seems to happen after the front one has been let down.

2007 F250 super duty
Big smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

We have the 2012 ST 30 RE and we have no problem with it so far //// Knock on wood.

Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The rear jack motor failed on our unit due to a defective switch, apparently vibration caused it to activate the motor until it overheated, shut down or burned out. It's relatively cheap, may want to replace it too.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea
The rear jack motor failed on our unit due to a defective switch, apparently vibration caused it to activate the motor until it overheated, shut down or burned out.Ā* It's relatively cheap, may want to replace it too.

That is what they thought the second time it happened. For some reason the Motor is being turned on by something else,they are now looking at the remote.

2007 F250 super duty
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Mine went out too. The dealer said CR told them it was the motor and the new motors are improved. Then again the dealer said he couldn't tell the difference.
Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Mine failed this spring. I think it was the way they wired it at the factory - too short of a cord and it pulled out of the motor - took the local Camping World 3 weeks to replace it. I think the Camping World folks waited until crossroads sent them a new motor. The motors run about $350.00. I had to manually operate the jacks until it was replaced.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
New Camper

We've had both front and rear motors fail. Seems to be a problem in the switches, we had our trailer delivered in winter and both outside switches had corroded and shorted out. I noticed the rear when I noticed the trailer was raised in the rear, switch had shorted and drove the motor extending the jacks. The front failed in the up position on the road, jacks were jamed in the up position and was quite a chore to get released. I'm glad the front didn't extend while on the road!

Hoping the motors arrive this week, getting a little embarased manually extending jacks with motors on em.

They should insert circuit breakers or fuse inline with the motors to protect the motors.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

From the manual for my rear jacks (indicates that there is a fuse and auto reset breaker - I think I found the auto reset breaker in the front compartment of our fifth wheel):
Step 1 - Attach voltmeter (or test light) leads to the motor leads. Does the meter
indicate 12V DC?
If YES, see Step 2; if NO see Step 3.
Step 2 - If YES, at the motor, check the incoming leads to 12V DC (if necessary,
disconnect leads at wire splices). Does meter indicate 12V DC? If YES, motor
needs to be replaced. The motor is not field serviceable. DO NOT ATTEMPT
TO REPAIR. If NO, Inspect all wires and connections between the wall switch
and the motor. Repair connections as necessary. Recheck as in Step 1.
Step 3 - If NO, Inspect all connections between battery and motor. Inspect 6A
Auto-reset Circuit Breaker and 20A Fuse.
Recheck as above in Step 1.
Since there are no field serviceable parts in the motor, electrical troubleshooting
and service is limited to replacing only those components as previously outlined.
Thorough inspection of wiring and connections is the only other electricalservice that can be performed.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Our rear stabilizer motor gave up the ghost whilst extended. The motor froze up not allowing the stabilizing arms to retract manually. By removing the bolt that connects the two smaller arms to main arm (located in center of the large arm) I was able to fold and tie the arms to the frame for the trip to the dealer. What a pain!
Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Our switch for the rear jack was broken right from the get go. It was never picked up on the pdi. I have to use the remote. Decided to order a new switch and change it myself rather than deal with our not so friendly dealer who is also 2 hours away.

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
New Camper

I received on replacement motor yesterday, this one cam with a self resetting circuit breaker to install inline with the motor and an enclosure to install the switch in. Guess they are fealizing the switched can't be exposed to the elements. Just waiting for the second motor to arrive from Terrytown.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Turned out that my 3 motors that burned up was the switch sticking in the up position. I sure am glad it didn't act up in the down position,no telling what might of happened if it did this going down the road.

2007 F250 super duty